Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Wayward,

You're absolutely right! I've put it off long enough, weight loss/maintenance is a life long committment. Regardless of whether I achieve my personal weight loss goals i'm going for it!

Thanks for your encouraging words.
Tyme

Wayward Son:
I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm prolly covering some things already said.

In a nutshell, IMHO if you can pass the physical you can dive.

My wife is fighting with weight loss, too. She made comments about "losing weight before I start diving". That was months ago. She's still trying to lose the weight, but she's now certified & has logged 15 OW dives.

Some people lose it easier than others. Things like menopause can increase the difficulty. Life's too short to put everything off until you're at your ideal weight, whatever that is. If you're healthy enough to safely do the activity, do it & enjoy. Weight control is a long term exercise. Go on about your life while dealing with it.

Ok, I will chime in here, since my son and I just finished the OW cert during our trip to Marathon last week (yay me!). We had to perform the swim and the 10 minute tread water test, so yes that is still required.

Speaking from an overweight standpoint, I think I can reliably say I am overweight....by at least 50 lbs, but like you I consider myself strong and have been cleared by a doctor to dive. The only time I really had a problem was on the third open water dive when we did the surface BC removal and replacement.

The issue came that when I removed the BC, I sat kicking to stay on top (gotta love 20 lb weight belts) until I was sure the instructor was looking at me since multiple persons were performing the test. This quickly winded me and I was having a problem getting my breath back through the reg or snorkel.

After donning the BC, I floated on my back a bit till I felt better, and then swam to the anchor line with the instructor. I still felt shaky, but descended to 20ish feet and all was well. Great 55 foot dive to a nice little shrimp boat wreck.

Lastly, if you are going to certify anywhere near Marathon, you cannot go wrong with Capt. Doug Morgan and his instructor Kyla Rickard! They are great people.

HEH!! I have no doubts that at first it'll kick my butt. But hey, it'll be good for me - right!?!!

:wink:

Wayward Son:
BTW, my wife did PADI OW just a few months ago, and they still had a 200 meter swimm & 10 minute tread water test that was mandatory.

Start swimming laps. It doesn't take that long to get up to handling a 200 meter swim, but if you haven't been swimming at all it may kick your butt to start with :wink:

Hi Deep Hull,

Wow, thanks for the info. It is a good insight into some of the things I may face. I'm up for the challenge, and i'm realistic in knowing that it really will be a challenge. All I can do is give it my 100% effort and go from there.

Congrats on your certification and happy/safe diving!
Tyme

Deep Hull:
Ok, I will chime in here, since my son and I just finished the OW cert during our trip to Marathon last week (yay me!). We had to perform the swim and the 10 minute tread water test, so yes that is still required.

Speaking from an overweight standpoint, I think I can reliably say I am overweight....by at least 50 lbs, but like you I consider myself strong and have been cleared by a doctor to dive. The only time I really had a problem was on the third open water dive when we did the surface BC removal and replacement.

The issue came that when I removed the BC, I sat kicking to stay on top (gotta love 20 lb weight belts) until I was sure the instructor was looking at me since multiple persons were performing the test. This quickly winded me and I was having a problem getting my breath back through the reg or snorkel.

After donning the BC, I floated on my back a bit till I felt better, and then swam to the anchor line with the instructor. I still felt shaky, but descended to 20ish feet and all was well. Great 55 foot dive to a nice little shrimp boat wreck.

Lastly, if you are going to certify anywhere near Marathon, you cannot go wrong with Capt. Doug Morgan and his instructor Kyla Rickard! They are great people.

LOL ReefGuy! Now that made me laugh! It's nice to see there are more common people than extraordinary people! Hey I'm not worried about it, in the grand scheme of things, what others think of me is minute incomparison to the rest of my life. I'm going for it, and giving it 100%

Thanks and i'll make sure if I see that supermodel to send her in your direction!

Tyme

ReefGuy:
I have yet to see that charter that Rodale's shows in about every magazine. You know, the one filled with 20 year old supermodels?

It seems like every charter I go on is filled with people that look...well... like me. Less than perfect (some would say A LOT LESS :)), overweight, and no longer 20 (or even 20 something). Put me in a wetsuit, and I look like a pony keg with appendages. The friend that got me into diving is shorter than me and about twice my weight.

Don't worry. Be yourself and enjoy yourself. Screw what other people think, what does it really matter anyway? And if you find yourself on that charter with the 20yo supermodels, please PM me with their number :D. Not that they'd let me on.

triciask:
Thanks and i'll make sure if I see that supermodel to send her in your direction!

Tyme

All he does is joke around and you send the supermodels to him?! I like supermodels. I mean, I don't really know any but I would force myself to pay attention to them, I mean her, whatever.

Joe

I attribute the attraction of much of the sea life I've had encounters with over this past year directly to my rotund shape. Turtles, dolphins, and manatee's look at me and see a large, noisy, cumbersome creature in what appears to be a strange spandex pelvis wrap and say "WOW... what kinda critter is that?! Well, judging by the shape and goofy long gangly flippers hanging off its butt, he can't catch me... he's gota be safe! Must be a dork fish.. they told us about dork fish in school! They eat corn dogs! Hey! Dorkfish! Look over here!!"

Hey, pal...Wait your turn. I'm next.

JustJoe:
All he does is joke around and you send the supermodels to him?! I like supermodels. I mean, I don't really know any but I would force myself to pay attention to them, I mean her, whatever.

Joe

Hey Joe apparantly they are a rare breed, so if I come across 2 supermodels, you're up next in line :wink:

Don't worry I have your back

JustJoe:

Joe

ROFLMAO.... Ohh Geeeez now i have to worry about what the sea life thinks of me too?! Where does it end??? Hey maybe the dolphins, turtles and manatees are the REAL supermodels! That I could handle! :wink:

CBulla:
I attribute the attraction of much of the sea life I've had encounters with over this past year directly to my rotund shape. Turtles, dolphins, and manatee's look at me and see a large, noisy, cumbersome creature in what appears to be a strange spandex pelvis wrap and say "WOW... what kinda critter is that?! Well, judging by the shape and goofy long gangly flippers hanging off its butt, he can't catch me... he's gota be safe! Must be a dork fish.. they told us about dork fish in school! They eat corn dogs! Hey! Dorkfish! Look over here!!"

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom