Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triciask:
I've waited this long to dive, what's a couple more months - right?!

Ah.. er... my theory on life is to not procrastinate. Set your goal, set a date to do it by (not a rough time, an actual date), and do it! Thats what diving is about on that coast... take advantage of the moment, tomorrow may be blown out!

I don't want to go OT here, but is that still true? I thought PADI removed teh 200 Yd swim requirement. When I did mine in March I certainly did not do a swim test.

Oh ok! I believe I can do that! Thanks Joe!

JustJoe:
Typically, olympic sized pools run 50 meters one way. That would make two entire trips across the pool from your original starting point. Meaning, to the other side and back twice.

Joe

When you're right - You're right! :)

CBulla:
Ah.. er... my theory on life is to not procrastinate. Set your goal, set a date to do it by (not a rough time, an actual date), and do it! Thats what diving is about on that coast... take advantage of the moment, tomorrow may be blown out!

Seriously?? Where did you get certified?

artusor:
I don't want to go OT here, but is that still true? I thought PADI removed teh 200 Yd swim requirement. When I did mine in March I certainly did not do a swim test.

I got certified at a dive shop on Long Island, which is no longer in business. I have seen other posts though that seem to confirm my impression. As far as I know, the YMCA cert does have a swimming req., but PADI does not.

Your best bet if it makes a difference would be to talk to instructors before you sign up. They could give you the latest.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm prolly covering some things already said.

In a nutshell, IMHO if you can pass the physical you can dive.

My wife is fighting with weight loss, too. She made comments about "losing weight before I start diving". That was months ago. She's still trying to lose the weight, but she's now certified & has logged 15 OW dives.

Some people lose it easier than others. Things like menopause can increase the difficulty. Life's too short to put everything off until you're at your ideal weight, whatever that is. If you're healthy enough to safely do the activity, do it & enjoy. Weight control is a long term exercise. Go on about your life while dealing with it.

BTW, my wife did PADI OW just a few months ago, and they still had a 200 meter swimm & 10 minute tread water test that was mandatory.

Start swimming laps. It doesn't take that long to get up to handling a 200 meter swim, but if you haven't been swimming at all it may kick your butt to start with :wink:

I have yet to see that charter that Rodale's shows in about every magazine. You know, the one filled with 20 year old supermodels?

It seems like every charter I go on is filled with people that look...well... like me. Less than perfect (some would say A LOT LESS :)), overweight, and no longer 20 (or even 20 something). Put me in a wetsuit, and I look like a pony keg with appendages. The friend that got me into diving is shorter than me and about twice my weight.

Don't worry. Be yourself and enjoy yourself. Screw what other people think, what does it really matter anyway? And if you find yourself on that charter with the 20yo supermodels, please PM me with their number :D. Not that they'd let me on.

Thanks for the INFO :)

Tyme

artusor:
I got certified at a dive shop on Long Island, which is no longer in business. I have seen other posts though that seem to confirm my impression. As far as I know, the YMCA cert does have a swimming req., but PADI does not.

Your best bet if it makes a difference would be to talk to instructors before you sign up. They could give you the latest.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom