Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah that seems to be the consensus....getting back into the boat is a little tough. But it's nice to know that your fellow divers are always willing to give a helping hand. That must be why them call them "Dive Buddies" :)

Thanks
Tyme

Lil38:
There was an assortment of shapes and sizes on the boat trip I did. (And only one really sexy guy) Everyone was helped onto the boat. It's not easy, even more so if the seas are rough. It's a few steps up and then you sit to remove your gear. Kinda like a sprint, then you rest! Everyone has different endurance, thick or thin. Health is the issue here. Diving isn't physical, it's totin' the gear and gettin' in and out of the water. I haven't met a diver yet that isn't willing to help with that. So, um, Joe- can we get verification?.......Thinkin' of startin' a... sexy diver calendar. Yeah, that's it, a calendar. :D Where ya havin' that salad? :eyebrow:

Tyme,
When I took my classes the DM was HUGE! I was really worried when I first met him but I can tell you I have never met a more competant and skilled, and GRACEFUL, diver. He is now a successful instructor and teaches up in the very cold waters of New England. Size can be very deceiving - just like age can be. It's really a combination of fitness (which is not always determined by size) and attitude.

Besides, I've seen your picture and I don't know what you are worried about girl! Sent you a PM. Let's get together and chat.

You sure don't look like a 40-year old in that picture, wow!

Have you checked into the Scubaboard Fitness area? When you are looking at the list of forums you have to scroll down almost to the bottom; just keep scrolling, just keep scrolling (too much finding Nemo LOL!) I haven't kept up with it but have seen the results some of the people have had and it's awesome!

You seem to have a good idea about what you need to accomplish and I wish you the best. You can always come on here when you need a pick-me-up :) Keep working on your strength and endurance you'll get there.

ReneeC: I LOVE your avatar, where did you get my "WANTED" picture, from the Post Office? :)

Thanks Renee, I can't wait to meet with you!

ReneeC:
Tyme,
When I took my classes the DM was HUGE! I was really worried when I first met him but I can tell you I have never met a more competant and skilled, and GRACEFUL, diver. He is now a successful instructor and teaches up in the very cold waters of New England. Size can be very deceiving - just like age can be. It's really a combination of fitness (which is not always determined by size) and attitude.

Besides, I've seen your picture and I don't know what you are worried about girl! Sent you a PM. Let's get together and chat.

Hey Ber Rabbit,

>>blushing<< Thanks for the awesome compliment, I have my mom to thank for the great youthful genes. I love it when I get carded at publix by a girl young enough to be my daughter LOL!! Always a nice compliment!

I actually just found the fitness board this morning, but thanks for reminding me again. I will do whatever I need to lose weight so that I can FINALLY get certified. But I have to say, there is nothing more inspirational than all the support I have received since posting my thread. Thank you for your kind words!

Tyme aka Tricia

Ber Rabbit:
You sure don't look like a 40-year old in that picture, wow!

Have you checked into the Scubaboard Fitness area? When you are looking at the list of forums you have to scroll down almost to the bottom; just keep scrolling, just keep scrolling (too much finding Nemo LOL!) I haven't kept up with it but have seen the results some of the people have had and it's awesome!

You seem to have a good idea about what you need to accomplish and I wish you the best. You can always come on here when you need a pick-me-up :) Keep working on your strength and endurance you'll get there.

ReneeC: I LOVE your avatar, where did you get my "WANTED" picture, from the Post Office? :)

After having met with my doctor this morning, and discussing whether or not she felt I was a good candidate for getting scuba certified. She said I was, but preferred that I lose a bit more weight. She did say however, that given how healthy I really am, if I was able to provide her with the certification physical qualifications she would review it and base her final decision on whether or not I can do it now, or wait until I have lost more weight.

Does anyone know where I can get the list of physical qualifications from either Padi, SSI?

I have email PADI my request as well. But if anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Tyme

Triciask,

As an Instructor, I have certified a lot of folks who do not conform to the generally held 'perfectly fit' perception. In fact, most are not what you would consider athletic in the least. However, I must echo what 'Doc' initially said above. You may have a challenge finding some equipment (BC and Wetsuit come immediately to mind) but as long as you have your health care professional give you a clean bill of health, then go ahead and take the plunge!

I will also add that you are to be commended for your positive attitude! Don't be so down on yourself though! Everyone is unique (some more 'unique' than others) so just accept who you are. Take a swing at diving. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun!

Take care and best of luck!

Lee

Go to any dive store and ask to see the list of physical limitations. Regarding the physical qualifications, NAUI requires that you don't have any medical conditions that would preclude diving (about 40 medical issues), be able to tred water (survival swim) for 10 minutes, Swim underwater the length of an olympic pool and swim (any stroke, no real time limit but no stopping) six laps (12 lengths) of an olympic pool. But like I said, any dive store in your area can provide a list of medical conditions that preclude diving. All you need do is ask.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I have noticed that what you said is very true. My doc gave me a 100% clean bill of health with the exception of some more weightloss. For me this is terrific news. There is a concern for wetsuit and other diving equipment, but I feel confident that with enough research I will be able to find something.

I don't feel that I'm down on myself, but do understand what my personal limitations are regarding the weight issue. Having said that though, I am unstoppable when it comes to achieving the things that I truly desire. :wink:

Thank you for your wonderful encouragement. I am grateful for all the amazing support I have received from everyone on this forum.

Safe Diving,
Tricia
Hoya97:
Triciask,

As an Instructor, I have certified a lot of folks who do not conform to the generally held 'perfectly fit' perception. In fact, most are not what you would consider athletic in the least. However, I must echo what 'Doc' initially said above. You may have a challenge finding some equipment (BC and Wetsuit come immediately to mind) but as long as you have your health care professional give you a clean bill of health, then go ahead and take the plunge!

I will also add that you are to be commended for your positive attitude! Don't be so down on yourself though! Everyone is unique (some more 'unique' than others) so just accept who you are. Take a swing at diving. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun!

Take care and best of luck!

Lee

Ok I'll go tomorrow to my local Dive shop and see if they can give me the list!

Thanks
Tricia

Hoya97:
Go to any dive store and ask to see the list of physical limitations. Regarding the physical qualifications, NAUI requires that you don't have any medical conditions that would preclude diving (about 40 medical issues), be able to tred water (survival swim) for 10 minutes, Swim underwater the length of an olympic pool and swim (any stroke, no real time limit but no stopping) six laps (12 lengths) of an olympic pool. But like I said, any dive store in your area can provide a list of medical conditions that preclude diving. All you need do is ask.

Lee

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom