Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha!!

Like I told Dennis, the beautiful thing about this forum is that no one is concerned about the appearance of others. That is an amazing thing in and of itself. I look forward to diving with some of my new friends, hopefully sometime in the near future.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Vickie!
Tyme

baitedstorm:
you go girl.....! Looking forward to seeing around the reef.. Don't be discouraged by thoughts of very shapely divers on the boat. I'm a divemaster out of West Palm Beach and I'm here to tell you, hard bodies on the boat are few and way to far apart. Most divers I see don't look as healthy as you sound.

Send me a pm if I can be of any help.

Hi Ron,

Life is an adventure. I love achieving the personal goals I set out for myself. This will be a huge accomplishment for, and I'm so looking forward to getting certified. I'm so grateful for the words of encouragment everyone here on this forum has extended me.

Thank you,
Tyme

RonFrank:
For OW, and AOW were overwight.

My female AOW instructor was not big big, but the guy was likely 5'9" or so and pushing 300lbs.

They both dive like fish.

Don't let your weight stop you from doing the things you want to. If you are overall healthy, I'd definately try diving. Of course you will not know if you really like to dive, and are comfortable UW until you try.

Hey Tyme,

A little personal note. I dove as a young man, and then left the sport. I came back as a fat guy, and realized what a demanding sport this can be at times. I decided to lose some weight and lost 45lbs. I am not slim, but I am working on it. With that said I AM DEAD SEXY!

Now on to diving. If you are not strong as hell you will have issues moving the weight it will take to sink you. You will have to move your tanks and then climb out of the water with your tank and the extra weight you carry for bouyancy (negative wt., you have to sink somehow). This is going to be hard on the body, especially the knees.

Do not be discouraged. I would even carry your extra load the first few times..........until you were absolutely addicted and had to get in shape to continue. :crafty:

Good luck, come diving and I will have a salad with you after the dive!

Joe

Hey there Joe,

I have to tell you, I read your post at a time when I really need to laugh. Thanks for the belly chuckle. Very cute! I have no doubts that you are "DEAD SEXY"!!! Woo Hooo!

Yes i'm realizing by all the posts i've been reading that this sport is very physical. Which is one of the reason I am working harder towards losing some weight. I feel i'm a strong person, but i've never had to wear a tank on back, weights, and other diving equipment. I can see how cumbersome it could be. Nevertheless, i'm not giving up, i'm determined.

You're very kind, and funny to boot! Thank you for the encouraging words, and the much needed laugh I needed this morning.

Tyme

JustJoe:
Hey Tyme,

A little personal note. I dove as a young man, and then left the sport. I came back as a fat guy, and realized what a demanding sport this can be at times. I decided to lose some weight and lost 45lbs. I am not slim, but I am working on it. With that said I AM DEAD SEXY!

Now on to diving. If you are not strong as hell you will have issues moving the weight it will take to sink you. You will have to move your tanks and then climb out of the water with your tank and the extra weight you carry for bouyancy (negative wt., you have to sink somehow). This is going to be hard on the body, especially the knees.

Do not be discouraged. I would even carry your extra load the first few times..........until you were absolutely addicted and had to get in shape to continue. :crafty:

Joe

JustJoe:
Hey Tyme,

With that said I AM DEAD SEXY!

Joe

:eyebrow:

I've dove with a couple very overweight divers. One was fairly experienced and was fine in the water, though tended to need a lot of help getting on the boat and had high air consumption. The other was fine too, a newby that we sort of helped out on one trip.

Sounds like you would be fun to dive with!

HI Damselfish,

Yeah I do not expect for things to go smoothly for me in the beginning, but with determination and preserverance, anything can be possible. I'm not going to let this stop me from accomplishing my dream.

Thanks for the nice compliment, I can't wait to get certified so I can join up with some of you for dives :)

Tyme

Damselfish:
I've dove with a couple very overweight divers. One was fairly experienced and was fine in the water, though tended to need a lot of help getting on the boat and had high air consumption. The other was fine too, a newby that we sort of helped out on one trip.

Sounds like you would be fun to dive with!

There was an assortment of shapes and sizes on the boat trip I did. (And only one really sexy guy) Everyone was helped onto the boat. It's not easy, even more so if the seas are rough. It's a few steps up and then you sit to remove your gear. Kinda like a sprint, then you rest! Everyone has different endurance, thick or thin. Health is the issue here. Diving isn't physical, it's totin' the gear and gettin' in and out of the water. I haven't met a diver yet that isn't willing to help with that.
JustJoe:
... I dove as a young man, and then left the sport. I came back as a fat guy, and realized what a demanding sport this can be at times. I decided to lose some weight and lost 45lbs. I am not slim, but I am working on it. With that said I AM DEAD SEXY!

Joe
So, um, Joe- can we get verification?.......Thinkin' of startin' a... sexy diver calendar. Yeah, that's it, a calendar. :D Where ya havin' that salad? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom