Ok I'm biting the bullet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triciask:
Everyone has been so welcoming and so helpful that I thought I would just bite the bullet and ask some questions.

What lead me to this site was a web search I was doing to find dive suits in +++ sizes. By chance I happened to come across a few threads from this site where some women were talking about being overweight divers. The conversations were interesting because well.....if you've seen my picture on my profile than it's obvious that I too am overweight. This is the ONLY thing that has held me back from getting certified. Two years ago I emailed several marine biologists and asked for advise. Only one person responded and the answers were vague.

This is where I bite the bullet, I need as much info from all the pros here in this forum to give it to me straight. I know the generic answer: One must be fit in order to be certified. But I need lots more info.

I am a healthy overweight person (by this I mean, no high blood pressure, no heart disease, no diabetes, etc etc etc.) I do workout 3 times a week, I eat healthy foods only, rarely drink, quit smoking 3 yrs ago. I consider myself to be active (definitely not a sloucher).
I know, you must all be thinking, well if she's a health conscious why is she still overweight. The answer is, well let's just say I know which path I must take if I want to do the things that I aspire to do. I've gotten very serious about my weight problem and am working hard towards achieving significant weight loss. Ok so here are some questions:

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

For an overweight person (without having to disclose my actual weight) what would be considered a safe weight to become certified?

How do the dangers/precautions differ for overweight divers vs. divers of normal weight?

Are there any certification dive companies that will actually work with overweight people, and if so, does anyone know the names of those companies?

Besides the obvious limitations, what are some of the other physical limitations?

Give it to me straight...lifes too short to be a dreamer without action!

When I got certified 30 years ago, I was young and fit. Took up diving again recently when my sons got ceritified. Had to admit I'm not svelte or even in good shape (not horrible but worst of my life). 3x dive suits are easy to find and even 5x. Large BCD's work on me (5'10", 250 lbs, 50 inch chest) and they can expand them if needed. So not crazy about my size but will continue to dive. I can still hoist a tank and BCD with ease (use to drop them over the back in the OLD days but that was different equipment). Go for it. When I went to Lake Rawlings with my son, LOTS of larger divers. When I say large, one was Refrigerator Perry size. He did fine and was loving it. One thing about the water, size doesn't work the same as on land. You'll love it so go get certified. The worst thing you'll experience is a lighting of your wallet.

Hey Sweetie I know where you are coming from. I recently lost 80 lbs. I started diving and was about 60 lbs overwieght. I like you considered myself active and healthy. I did not have any problems diving while I was overweight. I love diving. I found a few items that I really loved that "fit" normal women. Seaquest Diva makes a great BC. Divegoddess.com has skins to fit real women. It is a great sport and if you want to get certified do it. Some things that I am happy that I lost weight for diving are that you don't need as much lead to get down, My gear is smaller so it is easier to carry. All in all there are really no cons to you getting certified. Please PM me if you want any further info. Believe me most people on dive boats are not skinny models! I hope this helps. Oh also you need to find an instructor that is not going to be crazy with you. Baitedstorm would be great to work with you.

triciask:
Everyone has been so welcoming and so helpful that I thought I would just bite the bullet and ask some questions.

What lead me to this site was a web search I was doing to find dive suits in +++ sizes. By chance I happened to come across a few threads from this site where some women were talking about being overweight divers. The conversations were interesting because well.....if you've seen my picture on my profile than it's obvious that I too am overweight. This is the ONLY thing that has held me back from getting certified. Two years ago I emailed several marine biologists and asked for advise. Only one person responded and the answers were vague.

This is where I bite the bullet, I need as much info from all the pros here in this forum to give it to me straight. I know the generic answer: One must be fit in order to be certified. But I need lots more info.

I am a healthy overweight person (by this I mean, no high blood pressure, no heart disease, no diabetes, etc etc etc.) I do workout 3 times a week, I eat healthy foods only, rarely drink, quit smoking 3 yrs ago. I consider myself to be active (definitely not a sloucher).
I know, you must all be thinking, well if she's a health conscious why is she still overweight. The answer is, well let's just say I know which path I must take if I want to do the things that I aspire to do. I've gotten very serious about my weight problem and am working hard towards achieving significant weight loss. Ok so here are some questions:

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

For an overweight person (without having to disclose my actual weight) what would be considered a safe weight to become certified?

How do the dangers/precautions differ for overweight divers vs. divers of normal weight?

Are there any certification dive companies that will actually work with overweight people, and if so, does anyone know the names of those companies?

Besides the obvious limitations, what are some of the other physical limitations?

Give it to me straight...lifes too short to be a dreamer without action!

This is a pretty old thread, I brought it back up to find out what happened. Triciask *should* be a diver by now, but I don't recall ever seeing her post a follow up indicating that she finished her class. Sometimes it can take a lot longer, my wife did, for example, but she stuck with it & is now diving.

Hey there Wayward :) How are you? Hope all is well.

Haven't completed my certification yet. :( So many things have gotten in the way. It all started with Hurricane Katrina and went down hill from there. I won't bore you with all the details, but it has been one thing after another. We're hoping that this weekend will be the charmer and we get all our OW completed. Hopefully this week we will also get the final out of the way.

Anyway, Thank you for checking up with me. I can't wait to hit the water and start exploring our world down below.

Safe Diving,
Tricia

Well, if you're waiting to do the checkout dives that sounds like you've completed all the pool work?

How'd that go? Comfy with all your skills? Joyce had delays getting her checkout dives done, too. Weather, family illness for the instructor, etc. Got postponed for several weeks & the waiting just about drove her nuts. She hates tests of any kind. But we finally got her in the water & she did just fine.

Hi VaughnBuck :)

Luckily, I didn't allow my weight to stop me from fullfilling this dream. I'm only 4 OW and final away from my certification, and I can't wait!. The support that I received from this forum has been amazing. If it wasn't for all the encouragement I received from all of you, I probably would have just walked away and never looked back. The information and knowledge that each and every one you possess is priceless and brought this as a turning point in my life .

I found a skin in my size and it's actually too big (imagine that :)) I bought an Oceanic Probe BCD and love it, I have gotten all my gear with the exception of a Reg and tank. I'm good to go and just waiting to get wet - for real!!!

Thank you for the continued support and encouragement.

Tricia

VaughnBuck:
When I got certified 30 years ago, I was young and fit. Took up diving again recently when my sons got ceritified. Had to admit I'm not svelte or even in good shape (not horrible but worst of my life). 3x dive suits are easy to find and even 5x. Large BCD's work on me (5'10", 250 lbs, 50 inch chest) and they can expand them if needed. So not crazy about my size but will continue to dive. I can still hoist a tank and BCD with ease (use to drop them over the back in the OLD days but that was different equipment). Go for it. When I went to Lake Rawlings with my son, LOTS of larger divers. When I say large, one was Refrigerator Perry size. He did fine and was loving it. One thing about the water, size doesn't work the same as on land. You'll love it so go get certified. The worst thing you'll experience is a lighting of your wallet.

Hi there :)

Thanks for your words of encouragement. As I have expressed, it is because of all of you, that I pursued a life long dream. I'm only 4 OW and a final exam away from completing my certification. I have been fortunate that I have found gear in my size. I even bought a BC and love it!

I am still trying to lose the weight and have been going to the gym more often. I will get there - it's too bad that process is slow. But that is NOT going to stop me. No Way! I'm just anxious and waiting to get into some serious diving :)

Thanks again,
Tricia

dive4funOften:
Hey Sweetie I know where you are coming from. I recently lost 80 lbs. I started diving and was about 60 lbs overwieght. I like you considered myself active and healthy. I did not have any problems diving while I was overweight. I love diving. I found a few items that I really loved that "fit" normal women. Seaquest Diva makes a great BC. Divegoddess.com has skins to fit real women. It is a great sport and if you want to get certified do it. Some things that I am happy that I lost weight for diving are that you don't need as much lead to get down, My gear is smaller so it is easier to carry. All in all there are really no cons to you getting certified. Please PM me if you want any further info. Believe me most people on dive boats are not skinny models! I hope this helps. Oh also you need to find an instructor that is not going to be crazy with you. Baitedstorm would be great to work with you.

Are you kidding me!! I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to. :) Seriously though, we got through all our pool work just fine. I had one minor scare with underwater BC inflation; I inhaled a gallon of pool water and shot up like a great white breaching - HAHAHA!! but I was thanking god that it was in 6 ft. of water vs. 20 ft of ocean water. It was a bit scarey! I've read over and over again - "Practice, practice and practice, and when you're done practicing, practice some more!" That's what i'm going to do!

Wayward Son:
Well, if you're waiting to do the checkout dives that sounds like you've completed all the pool work?

How'd that go? Comfy with all your skills? Joyce had delays getting her checkout dives done, too. Weather, family illness for the instructor, etc. Got postponed for several weeks & the waiting just about drove her nuts. She hates tests of any kind. But we finally got her in the water & she did just fine.

If you can't get those dives in due to the finicky Florida weather you can always get your instructor to sign a referral and come see me in Ohio. The water will probably stay above 65 degrees until the end of the month! :)
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
If you can't get those dives in due to the finicky Florida weather you can always get your instructor to sign a referral and come see me in Ohio. The water will probably stay above 65 degrees until the end of the month! :)
Ber :lilbunny:

Sorry! You can have her!
Trish and her husband did really great in all their classes and pool sessions. They were awesome students (wish I could bottle their enthusiasm and dedication to sprinkle on all my students!).

Looks like the weather Gods will be with us this weekend and we will be completing the open water dives. Look for Trish posting her first dive reports in the very near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom