Ok I did it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with your choice. You have also received good advice and input here already.

My only point is that I see many people making the statement, "this will be a good first..."

---------- Post added March 20th, 2014 at 12:02 AM ----------

That got cut off.

So my follow up to that statement is to consider your second one first. Buying equipment that isn't the "rolls Royce" per se, but quality, functional, super capable parts always works out cheaper in the long run than starting with less expensive parts that need to be replaced to reach the next plateau.

Congratulations! You have described the Titan and Titan LX perfectly.

My first reg was a titan - a used one I got off a friend, at that! And guess what..I still have that reg in service. I have done a nice wide variety of diving with it, and it still works great. The only reason I see ever to replace it is when I start collecting more tech gear, when I will need more regs anyway.

As per most other comments, I think you've made an excellent choice. Its a great reg, widely available parts, easy servicing etc as already mentioned - plus the warranty of Aqualung products is excellent.

An a dive centre, we use Agualung as our stock training and rental gear, and have never had any problems. Half of our instructing staff actually use Titans. Personally I have a Legend, but only because I was foolish enough to take one on a test dive and came back with the 'I want one' syndrome! Doh!

My recommendation is to forget the Titans and purchase this instead. The ATX-20 are balanced first and second stages. If you think you may dive colder waters then I recommend this setup instead. Besides the price the difference between the 40 and 20 is the 40's first stage is environmentally sealed and the second stages have metal heat sinks. You can also purchase some adjuster knobs off eBay and upgrade either of them to adjustable seconds. BTW, Apeks is an Aqualung company.

Last edited:
Nothing against the Apeks products but the XTX-20 does not really have much of anything on the Titan LX Supreme. The Titan LX (Supreme) sealed first stage is easy to service and is time honored and proven with easily obtained parts and serviceable anywhere. The second stage has a metal, finned heat sink and metal barrel and can be upgraded with the parts from the former Legend should anybody think they need the adjuster. It's breathing is rated Superior from ANSTI.

N

Nothing against the Apeks products but the XTX-20 does not really have much of anything on the Titan LX Supreme. The Titan LX (Supreme) sealed first stage is easy to service and is time honored and proven with easily obtained parts and serviceable anywhere. The second stage has a metal, finned heat sink and metal barrel and can be upgraded with the parts from the former Legend should anybody think they need the adjuster. It's breathing is rated Superior from ANSTI.

N

A few things:

First, the OP wants to buy an Aqualung Titan NOT a Titan LX Supreme.

Second, if cold water performance is important to the OP, I gave him two links, one to the AT-20 (warm water) and one to the ATX-40 (cold water).

Third, cost seems to be important for the OP. For the price of an Aqualung first and second, the Apeks setups also include an octopus and gauges, so they are a better value.

Fourth, the Apeks is also a time-honored design and can be repaired anywhere the Titan can as Apeks is a sister company to Aqualung. Their second stages also have metal air barrels.

A few things:

First, the OP wants to buy an Aqualung Titan NOT a Titan LX Supreme.

Second, if cold water performance is important to the OP, I gave him two links, one to the AT-20 (warm water) and one to the ATX-40 (cold water).

Third, cost seems to be important for the OP. For the price of an Aqualung first and second, the Apeks setups also include an octopus and gauges, so they are a better value.

Fourth, the Apeks is also a time-honored design and can be repaired anywhere the Titan can as Apeks is a sister company to Aqualung. Their second stages also have metal air barrels.

I did not quote you, I simply stated a preference, I like the XTX but that I do not see it different from the Titan LX. And, to your first point, true, he did say Titan, not Titan LX and nor did he say anything about a Apeks XTX-20. I guess if you can recommend a regulator, I should be able to as well. As to pricing, he/she can explore that, both regulators are often priced very well and often are offered with additional items.

I prefer the Titan LX first, old or new type, to the Apeks, though, again, I have nothing against it either, just a preference for gear due to my four decade familiarity with it's first stage innards and AL products in general.

To the OP, I would reconsider the Titan if you indeed meant Titan and look at the Titan LX (and Supreme version) and also look at the Apeks XTX that has been recommended, especially where and if a package regulator is being offered. That could be a deciding factor. I also dive a Titan LX Supreme:

IMG_0107-1_edited-2.jpg

Many people confuse the Titan with the Titan LX or make an assumption it is the LX being discussed, including posters in this thread. I have clarified my position on the Titan LX (and Supreme). So, I will stay with what I said on all accounts.

N

Back
Top Bottom