OK I Can't take it....It's friggn' COLD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A rose by any other name... Whatever you want to call it, the climate's changing. You don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to figure that one out.

Yeah, I hear this one all the time, too. They say things like, "It's obvious..."

Actually I WAS a scholar on it... And no, it's not changing. Sure, what we've got now is pretty unusual, but we had a spell 20 years ago where it was colder.

I remember a couple of years ago when we had like seven hurricanes come at the Southeastern US... Everyone was saying, "The climate's changing..." No it's not. Every ten years or so, there's a heavy hurricane year. How many last year? Three. Well below average. So what?

When climatologists talk about global warming, they talk about REAL change... Degrees of change in average temperatures. A two degree average change over 100 years would be proof. A five degree change over 100 years would be proof. A cold spell enveloping the South for two weeks is not proof. Getting sunburned at the beach (just like you did 10 years ago) does not mean that the hole in the ozone layer is getting bigger. And as far as we know, no, we're not going to be hit by a meteor tomorrow (remember when everyone thought THAT one?)

One day, a crab was standing at the beach and as a wave washed over him, he declared, "The sea is rising! The sea is rising! Soon there will be no land available..." Moments later, the wave washed back out, and other crabs declared, "The sea is shrinking! The sea is shrinking!" Other crabs declared, "Well, if Joe Crab over here wasn't drinking it all the time, maybe it wouldn't be shrinking!" Other crabs decided to enact crab-laws to prevent Joe Crab from drinking any more of the sea - from now on, he was only to drink from the tidal pools (which of course were connected to the sea, the crabs just never understood the connection). Then President Crab decided that if all of the crabs looked away from the sea at the same time, the sea would get it's feelings hurt and would stop shrinking... Because, of course, it was "obvious" that the sea was shrinking, and that it was the crab community's fault.

So President Crab declared that everyone look away from the sea... And those that didn't would be fined two shells. Payable immediately. To President Crab. Pretty soon, President Crab had a large pile of shells on which he could stand and look for crabs not looking away from the sea.

At that moment, a boat went by and made a big wake. And as the crabs were swept into the sea, two were overheard on Scubaboard arguing whether or not the sea was rising.

The End.

A rose by any other name... Whatever you want to call it, the climate's changing. You don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to figure that one out.

Is it really? We know that the earth goes through climate cycles. We can estimate what happened a few hundred or thousand years ago through scientific analysis, but even the scientists disagree on some of the data.

The earliest reference I can find to recorded temperature or instrument data is the early 1800's. It seems most of the other data comes from analysis of such things like the growth of tree rings or core samples from ice in the Antarctic.

Some reports say greenhouse gasses are contributing to global warming. Others say we're heading for an ice age. Still others say there were more greenhouse gasses from 1000 years ago from volcanic activity.

So who is right? :idk:

Benedictine, m'Lady Shark Woman !!! Benedictine !!!

Makes ALL of ya warm and toasty !!!! :wink:

the K-old Old Man

No Hooters?

:eyebrow: mmmmm Hooters. :eyebrow:

freezing-t-shirt.jpg

Hey Carolyn, you can always come up to Canada to warm up... and to think that there are those that don't believe in global warming... :)

Lol! Is it global warming, or do you have a "special heater?" :eyebrow:

Benedictine, m'Lady Shark Woman !!! Benedictine !!!

Makes ALL of ya warm and toasty !!!! :wink:

the K-old Old Man

LOL, I have been drinking hot chocolate with Buttershots Schnapps. MMMM
Good to see ya my friend! Stay warm!

Brrrrrrr1.jpg

If only it was that easy!

Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
freezing-t-shirt.jpg

Lol! Is it global warming, or do you have a "special heater?"

LOL, I have been drinking hot chocolate with Buttershots Schnapps. MMMM
Good to see ya my friend! Stay warm!

Wow, ScubaBoard HAS changed... Definitely for the better... :) And posted by a FEMALE SB STAFF MEMBER, too!

Rock on, pretty neighbor! :)

(Mine's coffee and Kaluha all day.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lawd...now ya gonna get me in trouble! LOL!

Ok no more SERIOUS global warming stuff! This is supposed to be a fun thread!
stop-global-warming.jpg

Carolyn:shark2:

Hahahahhaa... That's funny! :)

Back
Top Bottom