OK compressor guys, a few questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
I seldom use EAN so thats not an issue. It has a lot of engine for a boat it's size, 80HP diesel W/ 200 amp 12V alt and a 2K 3.5K surge inverter with plenty of battery backup. I still don't thik thats enough and that seems to be the general feeling.
Any other input on HP vs LP?

My 3.5cfm Alkins is 2.2 kW, draws about 14 amps running, 20 starting (220V).

You do have more power than I expected and might be able to run the smallest size 115V Bauer off your inverter. The only issue I see is that those tiny sizes (I think) aren't really mean for continuous duty so you'd fill one AL80 and then have to wait an hour or 2.

It would be great to run a compressor direct off that engine, but then it would be in a hot engine room and that would be bad.

Look in your engine space and see if you can run a belt off your main engine and mount the compressor in the engine space, I run 2 RIX 6 cfm compressors off my main engine using a hydraulic take off (I also make water and charge the batteries at the same time, both things I need more of when I have several divers aboard). It works great. You will find filling LP tanks much faster also, as stated above the last 10% (or so) 2700 to 3000 psi take more than 10% of the work load, it also takes more than 10% of the time. I fill LP 85s in less time than Al 80s. Now I use only LP steel 85s, and some old 72s.

Being in HI, I would think that engine room would be impractically warm while running. My old trawler's engine room (120 hp Lehman, diesel) would get quite steamy >90F even in winter here in WA.

nwdiver2:
Look in your engine space and see if you can run a belt off your main engine and mount the compressor in the engine space, I run 2 RIX 6 cfm compressors off my main engine using a hydraulic take off (I also make water and charge the batteries at the same time, both things I need more of when I have several divers aboard). It works great. You will find filling LP tanks much faster also, as stated above the last 10% (or so) 2700 to 3000 psi take more than 10% of the work load, it also takes more than 10% of the time. I fill LP 85s in less time than Al 80s. Now I use only LP steel 85s, and some old 72s.
With all teh extra including water maker ect, I realy don't want to add more crap in the engine room. Im not doing anything commercial, I just want to be able to fill a few tanks for our own use. For extended trips, (NW Hawaiis, Micro, Chuk, Yap, ect) It would be nice just to have a couple of tanks and a small portable AC I can stash out of the way. That is also why i was asking about LP tanks and fill speed. Seems it would be much easer on a little rig to only pump to 2200.
Thanks for all the input.

It will be a bit cooler to only pump to 22-2400. My cylinders don't start getting warm until late in the fill cycle (2800+)

But what's the fun in filling LP's to only 2400???

For what you're doing, it sounds like it's going to be hard to beat an AL80.

Just a quick thought that has nothing to do with the technicalities. Check with your insurers before u install a compressor. I considered it once and then found that my insurance premiums tripled. This may not be a consideration in the US but just wnted to give u a heads up in case

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom