OK compressor guys, a few questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Cool new section we have here. So here is the deal. Im looking at putting a compressor on the boat for diving remote locations and so we dont have to haul a dozen tanks. Im thinking one of the small gas rigs would work well but I do have 3500 surge 2000 cont from the inverter, 110. Any advice on brands? Size is more important than fill speed. It needs to be compact.
Second part. I normaly use AL80s but Im thinking LP steels would be easer on the compressor to fill and be faster? Not being a regular tank filling kind of guy, this is out of my realm. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Pressure first. The greatest compressor wear happens in the last ten percent of pressure. So, if you are using 2250 tanks, the compressor will last you (assuming the same maintenance) MUCH longer than filing 3500 PSI cylinders.

Now, I am not sure what you are quoting on your numbers, but assume it is WATTS. Our electrician guru informs us that you will need about 7 KW or more to power the small compressors as they draw anywhere from about 25 to 35 amps. So your power plant is under powered for most compressors.

As far as size, both of the most popular small machines, Bauer and Coltri are fairly small and easy enough to move around weighing in at around 90 pounds. If you're headed to sea, I suggest getting the stainless steel model for the additional corrosion resistance. For Bauer, that is around $3000 extra but has a very nice NEMA electrical enclosure as well.. For the Coltri it is around $300 extra and is just a stainless steel frame added on.

I figured the inverter was too small. Thanks for the tips, I did not know they came in SS.

2000w cont inverter may workable for about 1 cfm output, but have to be use a three phase AC motor to get a soft start to avoid the surge current. Unfortunately, most of the 3 phase AC motor are seems rated 200~240 v, so, if you can solved the voltage problem in your inverter ( also be confirm your inverter is three phase model in firstly ) then try find out a 2cfm (in around) one ( this output rate usally equiped with a 2 hp motor better to have a 3 phase motor ), and give a right setting on the inverter and slow down the rpm of motor to half of it rated, then beleived the compressor should can pumps and fill up your 80 AL cylider in around 80 to 90 minutes with no problem.

Compressors which operate with 110V motor are not common but the few I've seen are in the range of 2 cfm/ 2hp, 20 amps circuit. Surge current might trip your system. You need advice from an electrician.

Wildcard, there is no difference in filling speeds. A new compressor will not slow down or huff at high pressures. The maximum difference is about 0.1 cfm due to blowby. So, don't select tanks based on this speculation. Get HP's if that is what your divers need. As to wear and tear, the compressor third stage will work slightly harder at HP but the other side is that the compressor's overall balance and vibration will likely be a bit better when pumping at 3000+.

I remember your new sailboat pics and I doubt you'll ever have enough engine/electric umph to get an electric compressor.

Marine inverters rarely 220V or 3 phase.

I'd get a gas or diesel compressor depending on what the boat's powered with. I'd store it in a lazarette and bring it out into the cockpit for use. With a looong ~4" diameter intake snorkel attached a good ways up the aft stay (12-15') to avoid getting fumes.

I'd also get a 125cf AL med O2 bottle + reg and continuous blend 32%. That would be enough O2 for about 10-12 AL80s.

Happy boating and diving!

I seldom use EAN so thats not an issue. It has a lot of engine for a boat it's size, 80HP diesel W/ 200 amp 12V alt and a 2K 3.5K surge inverter with plenty of battery backup. I still don't thik thats enough and that seems to be the general feeling.
Any other input on HP vs LP?

Back
Top Bottom