Ok, BP/W lovers!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To expand the explanation:
Backplates are typically made for use with double tanks. The hoops that hold the tanks together have bolts that are used to attach them to the backplate. The ridge on the backplate fits between the double tanks.

When using a single tank it must somehow be attached directly to the top of the ridge. This is an inherently unstable position and it also puts the tank further from the diver's back than it would be in the case of doubles.

A single tank adapter is used to mate the single tank to the backplate ridge. There are different designs, some of which use bolts and others that rely soley on the cambands to hold the tank onto the plate. The STA can, if designed incorrectly, move the tank even further from the diver's back. A correctly designed STA won't add much and an STA built into the wing itself won't add any distance.

An advantage of the STA is that it can be made heavy enough to add substantial weight to the rig an allow the diver to take some off of the weight belt.

Kudos to you for asking for input.

I would love to try a donut wing for doubles, a 40# version for Aluminum and a 55# version for steel.

Features like those described above - precision (slow) throw-away inflator, tough exterior material with a properly sized (replaceable) interior bladder, plain 90 degree elbow with no pull dump, left-side rear dump, short inflator hose. Envelope rather than box style of construction (i.e. comes to an edge on the sides rather than having a vertical piece between the front and back - I hate this on my Abyss wing.) Two or even three sets of grommets for mounting so there is some flexibility on trimming would be nice (this is one thing I like about my Abyss wing that my Halcyon does not have.)

Priced more like Oxycheq than like Halcyon.

Good luck!

Actually I think Scott is thinking single tank wing on this (hopefully)... if so it is meant specifically to accomodate single tanks. The market for double tank wings is small and already has plenty of suppliers that are doing a good job. Trying to make a wing that would work for both doubles and singles guarantees you miss both targets.

I recently purchased a Halcyon Pioneeer 27 with aluminum plate and am very happy with it so far. Reasons for choosing this system (over equivilants) were, in approximate order of importance to me:

1. Donut wing
2. V low profile wing
3. No STA required
4. Good reports generally
5. Good reports on inflator design (slow flow)
6. Good inflator location

I also looked hard at:

DSS
Diverite
Oxy
Halcyon Eclipse

After a lot of worrying, I went for the hogarthian harness and am not sorry I did.

Scott, as you asked the question; I did not look hard at Zeagle for this because BP/wings appear (at least to me) to be something of an afterthought on your website. With no illustrations it was not easy to see how your wings would work with a BP and I could not tell if any of the wings were donuts. Perhaps BP/wings need their own section on the site.

I hope this is useful feedback.

Uncle Pug:
An advantage of the STA is that it can be made heavy enough to add substantial weight to the rig an allow the diver to take some off of the weight belt.
Uncle Pug,
I was looking at getting a weighted STA or steel BP for the few times I use a 7mm. Trouble is that is alway a long journey from here (normally Australia...) so I really don't want to lug weight there. I am inclined to just chuck a couple of X-Scuba pockets on the tank strap and use local lead.

What if, instead of a permanently sewn in STA, it had two thin parallel pockets (where the ridges of an STA normally are) that you could slide spacer bars into? You could choose weighted (metal) or non-weighted (deralin). Or if you don't want any STA, you just leave the pockets empty.

Leave the complexity out of it.. just build in an STA that works and you don't have to think about, and leave it there. Simple, robust, all-in-one package..

Uncle Pug:
Actually I think Scott is thinking single tank wing on this (hopefully)... if so it is meant specifically to accomodate single tanks. The market for double tank wings is small and already has plenty of suppliers that are doing a good job. Trying to make a wing that would work for both doubles and singles guarantees you miss both targets.

Maybe I misread this reply to an earlier post, but it sounded to me as though he was open to discussing both. And I wasn't suggesting it would be a wing that would accommodate both singles and doubles, strictly a wing for doubles. I agree that a wing trying to accommodate both would in fact accommodate neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pants!
I got the impression that Scott was talking about single tank wings only.

Scott, is that the case, or were you considering making a donut-shaped doubles wing?

I am open minded at this point.

I really don't want you guys to get into a debate over how much lift anyone needs - all input is appreciated, whether you personally agree with it or not!!

There's probably a limited amount of design improvement that can be done to manufacture a wing that is "better" than what's already out on the market. I think success in terms of sales will come from meeting or exceding the present quality and shape of the Oxycheq and Halcyon line of wings ALONG WITH lower consumer price point. Halcyon/Oxycheq are proven leaders in the wing manufacturing market and appear to be "doing it right" for wings. I think the money lies in marketing to the recreational diver to educate and demystify the backplate & wing configuration. This will offer increased sales opportunity over the existing competition.

BTW, I spoke with Paul at Oxycheq last week. He is completing testing on a new 50# bladderless wing, currently code named "Razor". Bill Main has been beating the wing up for over a month and is giving it thumbs up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom