Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You;re missing the point. If the product being advertised were say a Megalodon it'd just be another diving ad that showed a bit of skin ... hardly a new concept. But do you think that it is purely accidental that what this add does is take a product that is touted to "simple," and that is named for an [SIZE=-1]acronym that stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid," and that displays in the add a woman who appears to fit to a tee a broad range of society's stereotypes of a "simple" woman. If you do then you have less respect for the ad makers craft than I do. The crafted message that comes across to me is loud and clear and objectionable, "So simple that even a bimbo could do it." If you get a different message from the ad, that's fine, but to deny that the one I see in it exists is blind and self serving. And to call me a "sexist" because I recognize the message being pushing, well ... that's beyond the pale, but is exactly the kind of disembulation and inuendo that I have come to expect from Pete, who seems to think that honest disagreement is cause for personal animis. [/SIZE]

Thalassamania:
But do you think that it is purely accidental that what this add does is take a product that is touted to "simple," and that is named for an [SIZE=-1]achronym that stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid," and that displays in the add a woman who appears to fit to a tee a broad range of society's stereotypes of a "simple" woman. [/SIZE]

Oh my word. I think you are confusing a "broad range of society's sterotypes" with your own. I value your contributions to scubaboard, and you offer a fascinating insight into many scuba topics - but you are way out of line on this one.

Maybe it is a simple generation thing, that you think "a broad range of society" perceives pretty ladies as stupid but my that is not my experience in the world we live in, neither does anyone I know think that.

If you worked in a commerical setting, maybe you would meet more smart, attractive powerful women - from my university days I seem to remember ladies of any sort were as a premium in the higher echelons of academia - it was a pretty chauvinistic world.

Geoff_H:
Oh my word. I think you are confusing a "broad range of society's sterotypes" with your own. I value your contributions to scubaboard, and you offer a fascinating insight into many scuba topics - but you are way out of line on this one.

Maybe it is a simple generation thing, that you think "a broad range of society" perceives pretty ladies as stupid but my that is not my experience in the world we live in, neither does anyone I know think that.
It could be a generational thing, I do notice that my children are much more willing to shrug and walk away from even overt sexism that we were. Again, it's not just a matter of using a scantily clad woman in an ad, hell ... that's most of diving. But if that's all that you see I suggest that, like my kids, you're only looking at the message superficially. Reread Vance Packard and [SIZE=-1]Marshall McCluen[/SIZE], take in the gestalt of the ad, and then parse it, there are so many of the societal tokens of bimboism, from Keep It Simple Stupid on, that I find it hardly creditable to dismiss it as unintentional? Maybe I'm paranoid, or a little over sensitive. Maybe it was, but I see that as a real long shot.

Geoff_H:
If you worked in a commerical setting, maybe you would meet more smart, attractive powerful women - from my university days I seem to remember ladies of any sort were as a premium in the higher echelons of academia - it was a pretty chauvinistic world.
I don't know where you went to school, but from what I've seen women have made far more strides into the higher echelons of academia than in most any other field. There are numerous women who are University Presidents, not to mention Vice Presidents, Deans, Directors and Chairs. And some of them are pretty hot ... I used to date a Dean of Arts and Sciences and a Dean of Engineering.

I think I get it!:wink:

Here's my hypothesis:

KISS hired an obnoxious semi-literate poster to spout inane and insulting posts directed at a woman in their advertisement, so that any intelligent member would post a defense of the ad and the photograph, producing name recognition. [sarcasm /off]

:rofl3:

Thalassamania:
It could be a generational thing, I do notice that my children are much more willing to shrug and walk away from even overt sexism that we were.
Yes maybe that's true....although judging from the tenor of many posts I see on this board, and many other places too, adolescent attitudes to sex and body parts seems to be very much alive and kicking! :wink:

The day it isn't...... I predict they'll stop making ads like this. Why should they if no one is interested? They'd have to find a new hook.

I'm not holding my breath though......:coffee:

NetDoc:
Thanks... in this sea of denial, it's good to see someone with a clue.
LOL!!!!! "He agrees with me so he must be right!" :rofl3:

Kim:
LOL!!!!! "He agrees with me so he must be right!" :rofl3:
To treat your facts with imagination is one thing, but to imagine your facts is another. John Burroughs[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Thalassamania:
I don't know where you went to school, but from what I've seen women have made far more strides into the higher echelons of academia than in most any other field. There are numerous women who are University Presidents, not to mention Vice Presidents, Deans, Directors and Chairs. And some of them are pretty hot ... I used to date a Dean of Arts and Sciences and a Dean of Engineering.

Maybe's it is in America.. I went to university in the UK and I don't remember many female faculty members in any department.

A quick scan of

http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/members/

shows an overwhelming gender bias in top university posts in the UK.

I would be interesting to see the spread of views on this subject, I will create a poll.

Geoff_H:
I would be interesting to see the spread of views on this subject, I will create a poll.
And that, regardless of result, will prove what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom