Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Whatever you say, Thal. You make a great martyr!
Perhaps, but you make a better sore loser. :rofl3:

why the hell do people think they have any right to judge other people for how they choose to make money to begin with? If I wanna be photographed nude with a scuba mask doing a half-assed attempt of covering my sac with my wiener sticking up as a snorkel for money and get the billboards plastered all over the highway then who the hell are anyone here to say I shouldnt?

The only stupid thing with regard to this add is discussing it here as it only proves one thing.. THE ADD WORKED!

Thalassamania:
Perhaps, but you make a better sore loser. :rofl3:
Sorry Thal... I didn't lose a thing: I am still not sexist and in denial about it!

I'm a woman diver and have been watching this tread. I've seen the pictures through out ScubaBoard could they have covered her up a bit sure but its marketing....it sells. They do it to the guys too all dripping wet in tight form fitting wetsuits that look of satisfaction on their face...I think I might go buy one of those suits now.

PufferFish_75:
I'm a woman diver and have been watching this tread. I've seen the pictures through out ScubaBoard could they have covered her up a bit sure but its marketing....it sells. They do it to the guys too all dripping wet in tight form fitting wetsuits that look of satisfaction on their face...I think I might go buy one of those suits now.
Or even better (from a sales perspective) only an extremely tight boxer shorts..

do it easy:
Geez, this thread is like reading the articles of Playboy! Not that I would know :crafty:
I'd rather read statutory accounting guidelines- OK moving on...
Im sure I have absolutely no clue what youre talking about...

do it easy:
Geez, this thread is like reading the articles of Playboy! Not that I would know :crafty:
:rofl3:

Maybe someone should start another thread - "The Art & Images of Scuba Advertising". Looks like it'd be rather popular! :D

We've seen a few examples already in this thread. I'm fairly sure I've seen stuff from Mares as well.....and then there's all the travel companies!!! :wink:

do it easy:

one of my co-workers just said "there are articles in playboy :huh:"

:wink:

I tend to agree with NetDoc.

To me, the ad doesn't say "this rebreather can be used by anyone, including dumb people" - it says "this rebreather is fun and it can be used for recreational activities too, not only by techies". I can't see the "dumbing down" of a product in this ad that some of the posters in this thread claim to be there (unless one considers recreational divers as dumber than hard core tech divers).

The reason why I don't see the "dumbing down" is probably that I don't associate "dumb" with the woman in the ad, because my brain does not link D cups with a low IQ.

I think that people who do make this connection, or assume that others will make it, prove that they are prejudiced, because they make assumptions about either the woman in the ad and her intelligence, based merely on the size of her breasts, or of what she wears, OR about viewers of the ad by assuming that those viewers will judge the woman in the ad to be unintelligent because of those very same exterior attributes.

The fact that some posters seem to suggest that the woman had plastic surgery to increase the size of her breasts and that that is proof in itself that she can't be intelligent, also speaks volumes - It's just another prejudice (After all, we don't know, do we? And the before/after comparison that some people seem to rely on, comparing the photos in the ad, probably doesn't stand, because I doubt that they show the same woman).

I personally don't find the photo of a woman in a bikini in an ad for a rebreather sexist (if she had posed nude with a rebreather, I would have considered it sexist), because to me, a bikini is perfectly credible dive apparel, whether on rebreather or OC. I don't find picking a model (rebreather diver or not, instructor or not) that is or can be considered visually attractive and/or has large breasts, objectionable or sexist either.

I find it objectionable, however, when people look at an ad, and claim to know how other people will perceive the ad, that the model chosen represents a "dumb" target clientele (judged purely based on looks and dress of the model), and that the manufacturer posting the ad is aiming for such clientele. I find it questionable, at best, and hardly a sign of maturity, if people would exclude a product from the list of available options, not because of technical merits and/or price of the product, but solely based on an ad, that shows a woman in a bikini, as you can see by the millions on any beach in the world. It also demonstrates, that people who think that fellow divers would buy a piece of gear worth about 5000 bucks, purely because they find the woman in the ad sexy, have a very low opinion of their fellow divers' maturity and judgment.

Ads are all about grabbing viewer attention and transferring that attention to the product; it's about creating interest in the product or company it advertises for, so that a sales opportunity is created. Obviously, "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder", and people will react differently to particular ads - what appeals to one viewer, doesn't to another. This thread is clear and obvious proof of that.

I don't know how effective this ad will be in promoting KISS rebreather sales, but it sure was effective at showing the mechanics behind ads, how people perceive ads completely differently, and also how some of the posters in here judge their fellow divers' (presumed) perception and reaction, as well as their fellow divers' judgment capabilities and maturity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom