Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in, or out of context ... I fail to see it

.. I'm the dummy here .. I claim brain cell lemmings .. when one goes, all the rest want to follow .. and they don't tell the others what they know before they jump

DB, give up the good fight, sweetie.

D_B:
in, or out of context ... I fail to see it

.. I'm the dummy here .. I claim brain cell lemmings .. when one goes, all the rest want to follow .. and they don't tell the others what they know before they jump
Then I have failed in my attempt to communicate the concept and I apologize to you. Perhaps in the near future I will regain the composure and patience needed to try and explain it again.

Thalassamania:
Apology accepted, but you continue to make the same mistake. I was giving my read of what the ad was saying to the viewer.

I think the intepretation says as much about the viewer as it does the actual advertisment. People generally see what they want to see, in adverts as in much of life.

In this case many people (wrongly) assumed the lady in the advertisment was a model and not a rebreather diver. That says a lot about their views on both women and rebreather divers.

Very few people commented on the hunky guy - enough though many (most?) male tech divers are middle aged and few sport six packs. Again it is a perception issue that is driven mainly by the prejudices of the viewer rather than the advertisment itself.

Thalassamania:
We are not talking about the person whose image is in the ad, we are talking about the ad and what it represents. The actual person may be, as I've said before, the nicest person and the best diver on earth, the ad is demeaning to everyone ... including (and especially) her.
Someone break out the diving Burkas! That her pic was not taken during a photo op speaks VOLUMES here.

She is a diver.
She is a rebreather diver.
These were taken on a diving expedition.

Thalassamania:
Pete, you just don't get. My only recommendation to you is to take a Women's Studies class at your nearest community college.
I have done so from an accredited four year university and at a time when men didn't take those sorts of things. The professor was actually worried that I was taking her class to try and get dates. I have been heavily involved in the civil rights movements for both blacks and women since the late 60s. I get "it" just fine, and I cringe when I read your comments about her. Perhaps you should take a sensitivity class and try to figure out why this bothers us so. There are a NUMBER of people who are telling you that your comments are sexist, and there are probably many, many more who are silently shaking their heads in wonder. Rather than trying to justify your comments to us, you should take a step back and try to fathom what we are telling you.

NetDoc:
Someone break out the diving Burkas! That her pic was not taken during a photo op speaks VOLUMES here.
What speaks volumes here is that the pic WAS TAKEN DURING A "PHOTO OP."

NetDoc:
She is a diver.
True, but not the point.
NetDoc:
She is a rebreather diver.
True, but not the point.
NetDoc:
These were taken on a diving expedition.
False, in case you care, but still not the point.

NetDoc:
I have done so from an accredited four year university and at a time when men didn't take those sorts of things. The professor was actually worried that I was taking her class to try and get dates.
Judging from what you seem to have learned I guess the professor's instincts were right on the money.
NetDoc:
I have been heavily involved in the civil rights movements for both blacks and women since the late 60s. I get "it" just fine, and I cringe when I read your comments about her. Perhaps you should take a sensitivity class and try to figure out why this bothers us so. There are a NUMBER of people who are telling you that your comments are sexist, and there are probably many, many more who are silently shaking their heads in wonder. Rather than trying to justify your comments to us, you should take a step back and try to fathom what we are telling you.
No, actually at this point I think that there's just you (and maybe D_B, but we seem to have reach a reproachmont), and we all know that if I said the sky was blue you'd find some cockamamie way to claim it was green.

NetDoc:

That's not what I read in the other thread about this topic. Someone involved in the shoot (I forget who) said the photos were posed for the ad. Yes, they also said she regularly dives it, but that these photos (of her and the guy) were posed especially for the ad.

Personally, I mistrust all ads and it doesn't matter much to me what method is used to try to talk me out of my money.

Walter:
That's not what I read in the other thread about this topic. Someone involved in the shoot (I forget who) said the photos were posed for the ad. Yes, they also said she regularly dives it, but that these photos (of her and the guy) were posed especially for the ad.
The guy and the subsequent girls were posed, but not the initial subject. At least that is my understanding.

before SB1 crash i believe the post from either Kim Smith or the photographer was that the inital pics was taken at a KISS trydive event at the resort

and yes, the woman is a qualified KISS diver

cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom