Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found this appropriate to be posted in the women's views forum, on behalf of female divers.

Am I the only one to react on the "sexist" ad for KISS rebreathers that shows to the left on my screen now and then, here on Scubaboard? Some of you may have blocked flash ads, but it's the one with the bikini lady that seems to have oiled up plentyful before putting on the rebreather system, as if she was going diving like that.

Where I live, using half naked posing sexy girls in ads and commercials not related to the girls at all, the ads are clearly towards men, is inappropriate. -And sometimes against the law. But not on moral grounds. It is considered a sexist and disrespectful view on women in general.

So what do you think, ladies? Are the oiled up girls in car commercials and rebreather ads ok with you?

EDIT: Here's the ad I'm talking about

--------------
I also find it rather amusing that it seems to be appropriate to some to have the PICTURES available on the screen, but as soon as I make a comment on it in my signature, using the word t*ts, they report me with a complaint regarding bad language and "family values", but that's another funny story...

sex sells

90% of potential rebreather buyers are male (a guess)

so ... pretty obvious what's going on

does it work? ya

do they continue to objectify women? ya

i don't find the depiction offensive, probably because i am not a woman; i do find it in poor taste

i do think your use of the words "t*ts" crosses the line, for what it's worth ... it's just too disrespectful

do it easy:
I don't recall her looking particularly oily, just tan.

come to think of it, i don't remember he being oily either

she did have muscles, and i remember thinking her veins showed up

There is a picture of a semi naked man with his hand over his crotch! I'm shocked!

I think I asked for the ladies' opinion, guys...

Anyways, I think I know that Americans have problem with certain "shocking" words with four letters. I don't understand it, but yes I do know when I think of it. Sorry then, Andy.

Is the ad gone? That's, eh... -Interesting!

I am a woman, and I don't see that ad standing out much more than other ads we routinely see in various media. Of course, most of us North Americans are pretty de-sensitized to exposed body parts.

For sure sex sells, and men are the most obvious buyers. However, I suspect they are trying to lure women as well. One way is by making women want to be like the woman in the ad; perhaps meet someone like the man in the ad; sustain a relationship with someone like the man in the ad - especially so he doesn't meet oil-woman; :wink: use gear that has been dominated by men thus far, thereby allowing the wearee to stand out from other women; and the feeling that "if she can do it, so can I".

All of the relatively same ideas and more are probably supposed to appeal to men seeing the ad.

Having a couple in the ad probably also extends the slippery slope that rebreathers are now not as techy as they were, and are becoming more accessible.

What I do think the model is a victim of, however, is a bad breast augmentation. She should use the money she earned to get a less obvious, more natural look. :D

I think the chick with the hooters is fine but dammit I am offended by the half naked guy! How dare they objectify men like that!

EDIT: Shame on me for posting in the womans views forum. Sorry ladies, carry on :D

Kompressor if she dressed like that up where you dive she would be rather pointy rather than oiled.

Back
Top Bottom