Oh oh... DAN in Quebec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from Japan and I was amazed with DAN insurance and the FQAS permit. I guess we are special in QC!

It is a little bit off topic but do you know where I can found the list of instructors that are allowed to issue a certificate of qualification for recreational scuba diving (Certificat de qualification en plongée subaquatique récréative) from FQAS for a decent price?

Are we allowed to do technical diving in Quebec or we are limited to 40 meters by the law?
Not saying that I will often dive deeper than that but I still want to practice once in a while.

Yes you can tech dive in Quebec. Most shops have instructors that can help you get the FQAS card. If not look at the FQAS website.

Yes you can tech dive in Quebec. Most shops have instructors that can help you get the FQAS card. If not look at the FQAS website.

Thanks Ben, I found the info on the gouvernement website for tec diving: Légis Québec

The dive shop tried to sell me a course for the FQAS license and told me that the evaluation will be as expensive as the course but I just found out that we can get an equivalence:
"12. Une attestation d’équivalence de plongeur - classe A, B ou C est accordée au titulaire d’un certificat délivré hors du Québec visé aux annexes 8 à 10 s’il peut démontrer, à l’aide du carnet de plongée, qu’il a déjà effectué une plongée subaquatique à l’aide de gaz comprimé respirable alors que la température de l’eau nécessitait l’utilisation d’un vêtement complet de plongée, incluant la cagoule et les gants.
A.M. 2002-01, a. 12; A.M. 2011-01-31, a. 9."

If I understand well, I show my dive log and certification that meet the criterias and I'm good for a cheap permit.

I didn't found the list of instructors/dive shop that are allowed to deliver the permit.

Thanks Ben, I found the info on the gouvernement website for tec diving: Légis Québec

The dive shop tried to sell me a course for the FQAS license and told me that the evaluation will be as expensive as the course but I just found out that we can get an equivalence:
"12. Une attestation d’équivalence de plongeur - classe A, B ou C est accordée au titulaire d’un certificat délivré hors du Québec visé aux annexes 8 à 10 s’il peut démontrer, à l’aide du carnet de plongée, qu’il a déjà effectué une plongée subaquatique à l’aide de gaz comprimé respirable alors que la température de l’eau nécessitait l’utilisation d’un vêtement complet de plongée, incluant la cagoule et les gants.
A.M. 2002-01, a. 12; A.M. 2011-01-31, a. 9."

If I understand well, I show my dive log and certification that meet the criterias and I'm good for a cheap permit.

I didn't found the list of instructors/dive shop that are allowed to deliver the permit.

Where are you in Québec? I can maybe help in identifying an instructor / shop

I'm located in Montreal but I'm also planning to dive in the 1000 islands area, Sacacomi, Escoumins.
I have all my equipments including my cylinders.

Dive shop won't go out just to issue the FQAS license for 1 guys... I'll be really surprise... $$$$

But if you are aware of an opportunity where an authorized instructor can do a quick check on me without charging me 200$ I will take it.
I need a class C.

BTW, I found the list f authorized instructors/shops on the website... in french! :p

BTW, who's reinforcing that policy? Is it possible to get cut?

I have all my equipments including my cylinders.

Dive shop won't go out just to issue the FQAS license for 1 guys... I'll be really surprise... $$$$

But if you are aware of an opportunity where an authorized instructor can do a quick check on me without charging me 200$ I will take it.
I need a class C.

BTW, I found the list f authorized instructors/shops on the website... in french! :p

BTW, who's reinforcing that policy? Is it possible to get cut?

Reinforcing? I haven’t seen squat! Some places were you need to pay access have asked for it. Mine is mostly collecting dust. PM me maybe he can meet up some time.

Reinforcing? I haven’t seen squat! Some places were you need to pay access have asked for it. Mine is mostly collecting dust. PM me maybe he can meet up some time.

Collecting dust... omg! What’s the point of getting the license?

I just sent you a PM.

Collecting dust... omg! What’s the point of getting the license?

I just sent you a PM.

I didn’t do any research but something about making sure divers are fit to dive in local conditions (supposedly challenging) and thus avoiding accidents. They did work towards opening diving post Covid-19 so that’s good.

I am an instructor and we just received a letter saying that there will be some checks on popular dive sites this summer. It is usually some inspectors asking for your permit and taking your name if you don't have it.
Shoredivr is right. After a few deaths a coroner suggested that all divers trained in warmer water should get specific training for Quebec environment. The provincial government created the permit specifically to cover this recommendation.
You don't need to take any course if you are already used to drysuit and diving with gloves, hood and the weights. Any good diveshop will do one dive with you, ask for some exercises (including an exam) and emit your certificate for small fees (valid for 3 years, can then be renewed with the proof of 10 dives during this 3 years).
There is dive shops in Thetford Mines almost every evening (Plongee Capitale is there every Tuesday). Call one of them and ask for the FQAS certificate. If there is any difficulties let me know. I am there on June 30 if thi can help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom