Octopus Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subaquaman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Has anybody heard of or seen any good methods of securing an octopus?

I dive with a SeaQuest ProQD+ and was pinching the hose in the d-ring on the right pocket but when I tried to remove it to inflate a DSMB today it snagged- just glad it did then and not in an emergency. I'm reluctant to buy the clips I've seen as I don't think they are sufficiently easy release... anybody any ideas (even if its a DIY job)?

Ooh. If your Pro QD+ is like mine, that's a TINY D-ring to be stuffing a hose in. Before I got my long hose setup, I used a scumball on the left hip d-ring of my Pro QD+. That worked very good, as it could be left in there while donning and doffing the rig, and while changing tanks.

A simple yet effective octo holder is a snorkel keeper. Pass one end through the D-ring, then back through the other loop. Then stuff the mouthpiece of the octo into the loop.

I use this on the upper right D-ring of my SeaQuest ProQD and can test the octo without removing from the snorkel keeper.

Thanks for the advice.

I like the sound of the snorkel keeper but does the mouthpiece not snag as you're trying to release. I used to dive with a rental BC from my LDS and the octopus was pinched into the right shoulder above the release clip. When needed it just slid out. I'm looking for something just as fast. Do the Octo holders provide this or is it difficult to pull free?

I use the Trident RP94 Octo Holder. I find it kind of hard to put over my mouth piece on my Aqua Lung Trident Octo. and occasionally it comes out during giant stride if not fully inserted.

fmw625:
I use the Trident RP94 Octo Holder. I find it kind of hard to put over my mouth piece on my Aqua Lung Trident Octo. and occasionally it comes out during giant stride if not fully inserted.

Hmmm :06: ... thanks for that... I actually have same octo.

subaquaman:
I like the sound of the snorkel keeper but does the mouthpiece not snag as you're trying to release.
Doesn't snag, even if the keeper is up behind the tiewrap. The silicone keepers have a lot of stretch. The harder you pull, the bigger the loop gets.

I test octo, BCD inflator, then primary while looking at SPG just before splashing in. Scumballs and other traditional octo holders need to be removed to perform my predive ritual. The snorkel keeper on upper D-ring doesn't.

i just use a clip with a small bungee cord attached to my right d ring. i place octo hear right above my right breast

Back
Top Bottom