Octopus Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I use the one that came with my BC.

I can't find it offhand online, but it's just a plastic snap-clip with a swivel-attached two C-clips that will grip a second-stage hose (one facing down, one facing out a right angles to the clip).

I use the bottom C-clip for my octo hose, and the front C-clip to manage my primary while donning and schlepping the gear. It's cliped to my right shoulderstrap D-ring, and if you snug the hose clip right up to the octo, it hangs nicely just at your chest on the right.

Personally, I am a bit wary of any octo-holder that grips the mouthpiece. It just seems unwise to strain that connection as a matter of course, and would be concerned that in the heat of the moment the last thing you want is for the mouthpiece to possibly get ripped off when you are yanking on the octo. I have no evidence or even hearsay on that, mind you, just my own thinking that it doesn't seem like a good idea ...

Cheers,
Walter

I use the Scubapro octo-holder. It firmly holds my Apeks ATX40 in place, whether I am giant striding or backward rolling into the water, but if you need to grab the octo in a hurry, it will release with a firm tug. No effort needed, but it doesn't fall out or come loose. Best of all, the reg is held in the position it would be in your mouth – i.e. upright – which is a bonus in cold water as it avoids any added freeflow complications. That's why I don't like some of the ball-type holders, which hold the reg face down.

However, I always carry snorkel keepers as spares, for if i see anyone being a mini-wrecking ball on the reef. Personal bugbear of mine that, people with octos and gauges swinging around. Doesn't anyone tell them on their course it is much better to have everything secured so you know where it is?

Mark

I like the velcro ones, and that's what I use, though I'm thinking of switching to a bungee.

I tried the scumball, and it wouldn't hold my octo for more than five minutes. If I were going off a boat, it *might* stay on until I got to the bottom. On a surface swim, pretty much the second I was in the water, it was out.

Never had a problem with the velcro strip one, hooked to the d-ring on the left side of my chest, gauges clipped to my scooter ring with a bolt snap.

just make a necklace and where your secondary here. dont use surgical tube as this tends to rott, use bungee cord

The one that I'm talking about doesn't have the ciol thing. It just has a magnet. I use one for my SPG.

fmw625:
The one that I'm talking about doesn't have the ciol thing. It just has a magnet. I use one for my SPG.

magnet sounds good... ne location online?

BTW, I've gone with a snorkel keeper type thing for the moment which is working well... i just am getting frustrated with the hose across my chest.

fmw625:

A magnet does sound cool, but I wouldn't want a magnet on my chest (even a weak one) messing with a compass reading.

I use a bungee around the neck, with the octo held by a smaller loop. This is one of the few pieces of DIR gear that I use. Once adjusted correctly, you could literally look down and the octo would almost be in your mouth, and you could grab it with your mouth (that is, using no hands) if you needed to. Very cheap, and very effective.

Spoon:
...dont use surgical tube as this tends to rott, use bungee cord
Hummm.... I have a few hundred dives on the same surgical tubing, and it's still like new. No cracking, no rotting. One on my backup reg, and two on each wrist - on my compass & puter.

But I'm thinking, Spoon, that you might be right. After a thousand dives, I might have to replace it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom