Octopus Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a gizmo made by Dive Rite that seems to be fine. It's a small loop of bungie that the mouthpiece fits into. The bungee has a plastic bolt snap that clips to a D-ring. The oct comes out with a tug, but seems to only come out when you want it to.

SteveFass:
I have a gizmo made by Dive Rite that seems to be fine. It's a small loop of bungie that the mouthpiece fits into. The bungee has a plastic bolt snap that clips to a D-ring. The oct comes out with a tug, but seems to only come out when you want it to.

is your clip brass? i got mine exactly like that from a dive rite shop.

I use a small bungie tied into a small loop that fits over the mouthpiece. Held together with a ss bolt snap. Works great never had a problem and can be clipped everywhere.

Spoon - no, unfortunately my clip is black plastic, not metal. Sounds like I have the poor man's version of what Mitchell made.

SteveFass:
Spoon - no, unfortunately my clip is black plastic, not metal. Sounds like I have the poor man's version of what Mitchell made.

no worries as long as it works! i myself bought a stainless clip, bungee cord and made one for my gf.

teknitroxdiver:
Ooh. If your Pro QD+ is like mine, that's a TINY D-ring to be stuffing a hose in.

Do you reckon the snorkel keeper would work on the d-ring indicated in the attached image then?

Yeah, it looks like it would. Here after while I'll see if I have a keeper around and go try it.

EDIT: I just tried it, and it works.

Charlie99:
Doesn't snag, even if the keeper is up behind the tiewrap. The silicone keepers have a lot of stretch. The harder you pull, the bigger the loop gets.

Charlie - What tiewrap? The one keeping the mouthpiece on the octopus? Just asking because I use a snorkel keeper as my octo holder as well. I just loop one end around a D-ring (so yes, the D-ring on the BC in couple posts from now will work) to attach the snorkel keeper to the harness. Then when I'm setting my rig up the octo mouthpiece goes in the other end of the keeper.

Paula
(who actually started to respond before realizing you must mean the tie wrap on the octo! :wink: )

subaquaman:
Do you reckon the snorkel keeper would work on the d-ring indicated in the attached image then?
If you use the higher D-ring, then you don't have to remove the octo in order to reach over and test breathe it. It's not technically in the triangle zone recommended by PADI, but when horizontal in the water it's more visible.

Diver_paula -- Yeah, it's the octo tiewrap. Subaquaman was concerned about the snorkel keeping snagging. If you really jam the mouthpiece hard into the snorkel keeper, you can get the octo mouthpiece tiewrap (or more specifically, the little bump/rachet doohicky that holds it closed) trapped by the keeper loop. That just means you pull a little harder to get out the octo.

I always keep a few extra snorkel keepers around as I often hook up with unknown buddies on boats, will help them tame their octo if it's running loose. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom