Oceanic Biolite Alt Reg D-Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shopguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking of purchasing an Oceanic Biolite, but have one outstanding question. It doesn't have a large d-ring on the right shoulder where I would like to secure my alt reg. I know I can use several other methods to secure it, from neck straps, to snorkel keepers, to plastic clips, etc, but I prefer the "loop through d-ring" method and curious what options I have for that. Carabiner could be attached, but doesn't seem as nice? Could possibly use the plastic d-ring that you pull to tighten the shoulder strap, but not sure where that will end up until I try it on, and I think I will likely want it higher on my shoulder.

I see there is such a thing as a removable d-ring -- but not sure if a good option or if any are designed to last in salt water/diving. Example: (no reviews, type of stainless not listed, etc)

I have a lot of diving experience, but not much experience with different gear. Be gentle if this is a stupid question :) I also don't have access to an LDS that is less than a 4 hour drive, and even then I haven't seen one with the Biolite in-stock to try.

It looks like the biolite has those loops on the shoulder. With those, just to hold an octo, you don't need a d ring or even a suicide clip (carabiner). Take $1 worth of surgical tubing and 3 small zip ties and make a semi-permanent octo holder on the highest loop. Problem solved. There are removable triglides that could hold a d ring. But, that unnecessary padding on the shoulder strap pretty much guarantees they won't go on. they are made for plain 2 inch webbing.
The surgical tubing one is what we used on rental BC's. It worked, was cheap to replace, and didn't grow legs like the ones that clipped on.
Loop one end of the tubing through one of the loops on the bc.
Zip tie it shut.
Loop the other end around the octo mouthpiece, leave about an 1/8 of an inch and put two zip ties on that. Done. Don't overthink these things. The simplest and cheapest solution is often the best and easiest to use.

20231015_170034_resized.jpg

Don't overthink these things.
Thanks! You are right -- I'll just place my order and figure it out when I get it, plenty of options, not like I'm going to return or regret my purchase just because of this detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom