Octo on bungeed necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fully support the long hose (5' or 7') but I also show people that do not wish to learn that method that they can get the benefits of having a bungeed backup reg around the neck vs. on a yellow hose hanging around the waist where it might get tangled or fall down and drag. This can easily be accomplished by putting the octy that you have on a shorter hose and using a bungee and placing the primary on a octy length hose. You still have the distance you get with the "traditional" OW setup with the added benefit of always having a backup you know that you can get to if needed.

Does it pull you mouthpiece down ?

Nope, that's what the right angle adapter is for. It changes the hose routing so it points down the front of my chest instead of out to the side of my head. It still deploys just as easily as a 7' hose.

I've seen several people recommend a setup where you place your octo on a bungee around your neck. What is the purpose of this? Is it just to corral the octo? Do you make the necklace yourself or is it available somewhere (I did a cursory search but didn't find anything)? Also how would you recommend setting everything (primary, secondary, ect) up in this configuration and why? Thanks.

Jason

Hi Jason:

You have gotten several answers and then opinions about what you are asking. I dunno if I agree with all of them, but the bottom line is what you feel comfortable with, not just for you but your buddy and you. If you feel as if after rigging your backup around your neck with a bungee that you have questions about giving away your primary regulator, then you are probably right. It is a lot more that diver see diver do but you can get an idea of what's going on from a video, and then practice. Better yet, if you have diver peeps that employ this type of setup and are competent in using it, ask if they will help you out. Even better, take a class that shows why everything is the way it is and it will come full circle for you.

As far as a necklace, just make one. SparticleBrane has a neat and simple video that shows you how to make one but the size is the trickiest thing to get down. Just fiddle with it, so that your backup is resting a bit under your chin. When you employ your backup for you (as you donated your regulator that you were just breathing from to your OOG buddy or more likely some stranger) it should not feel as if your backup is being pulled from your mouth because of a tight bungee. In ae3753's posted video you see the diver just effortlessly pop his backup in is mouth but you didn't see it dangling down before- that necklace is just right!

I hope this helps.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

Last edited:
I want to be close enough to hold on to their BC and they hold on to mine. It's definitly a personal option. 'to each their own'...dive on

Have you tried this in practice? I can tell you it's not comfortable. Especially, just as someone mentioned, in a drysuit at depth. I've had to do this from a 130 foot dive on an air 2. I promptly switched to a long hose with a bungie afterwards. It was not fun trying to control buoyancy, make stops, vent, watch my depth, AND hold onto my buddy at the same time.

Nothing goes around your neck but the bungie. The regulator pops out easily if yanked on and the long hose routes behind your neck and to the right side. There's no danger of choking from it. On the surface, you can just pull your reg out and extend your arm out showing that the hose is free and ready to donate. and just pop it back behind your head and in your mouth.

Also, have you ever had yourself videotaped while diving? The long hose is very streamlined and doesn't drag at all. My old airII though... wow that thing hangs much lower than you'd expect when you are being videotaped.

The bungied regulator is a core piece of the "donate the primary" strategy. The theory is that the regulator you are breathing is the best one to give to someone else, because you know it is working, and you know precisely where it is (and so does the OOA diver!). If you are going to donate the reg you are breathing, it's a good idea to have a backup regulator somewhere very close and easy to pick up, and putting it under the chin does that.

But I'll also say that I have never had to donate gas to anyone who was out of air, but I have fallen down a number of times, and been VERY glad of that bungied backup regulator that just needed tipping into my mouth to give me something for MYSELF to breathe. Much easier than trying to find one's primary reg!

It doesn't seem intuitive, but using a very long primary hose and wrapping it the way we do gives you the most streamlined setup as far as hoses go.

Nope, that's what the right angle adapter is for. It changes the hose routing so it points down the front of my chest instead of out to the side of my head. It still deploys just as easily as a 7' hose.

Ah, ok, got you.

It doesn't seem intuitive, but using a very long primary hose and wrapping it the way we do gives you the most streamlined setup as far as hoses go.

Yes the guy who has made this setup is genius, At any point of time you know exactly where your both regs are, one of them is long and they are both very streamlined. 7' is probably overkill for OW but 5 works just fine IMHO.

With a standard length hose that OOA diver may be closer to you than you may desire...

Depends on how you were trained.......

The bungied regulator is a core piece of the "donate the primary" strategy. The theory is that the regulator you are breathing is the best one to give to someone else, because you know it is working, and you know precisely where it is (and so does the OOA diver!). If you are going to donate the reg you are breathing, it's a good idea to have a backup regulator somewhere very close and easy to pick up, and putting it under the chin does that.

Alright, I give up my regulator to some poor smuck that didn't bother to plan his gas consumption, and I stick my back up in my moth and...get nothing but water! Now what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom