Octo integrated inflater question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The first time I saw one of those deals my thought was garbage, I'd never use one, but I see they are kind of popular, I'm talking about the inflater hose with the octo built into it, not sure what its called, but lets say your down at 100 feet or so and you have to share air, now 100 feet to the surface you have to dump quite a bit of air from your BC, isn't that hell controling your ascent with the thing in your mouth??

Isn't it kind of less safe? I kinda see it as a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, why not use a regular octo/safe second?

I have never asked any body about them or dove with any body who uses them but I am curios.

Has anyone on this board used one of those while sharing air to the surface and did you find it clumsy or difficult?

Here we go again! :wink:

I smell a Troll... :1poke:

FIXXERVI6:
The first time I saw one of those deals my thought was garbage, I'd never use one, but I see they are kind of popular, I'm talking about the inflater hose with the octo built into it, not sure what its called, but lets say your down at 100 feet or so and you have to share air, now 100 feet to the surface you have to dump quite a bit of air from your BC, isn't that hell controling your ascent with the thing in your mouth??

Isn't it kind of less safe? I kinda see it as a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, why not use a regular octo/safe second?

I have never asked any body about them or dove with any body who uses them but I am curios.

Has anyone on this board used one of those while sharing air to the surface and did you find it clumsy or difficult?

Safety comes with training and practice. The same applies for your buddy and his understanding of your gear. In that sense it is not as "safe" as the "normal" octo second with std hose. I have trained myself and my buddy, so it's not an issue.

Yes we have "shared air". I breathe out of my little second stage on my inflator hose and the person in need of air - trust me on this one- when they need air they will tear the standard reg out of your mouth- they will NEVER go for your spare octo.

The BC I use it on are wings. I set the thing up for compact and lighter travel issues. My BC has more dump options than you might even imagine- but even Stab Jackets will dump on the upper left front either by yanking in the larger BC oral inflator hose assembly OR by pulling a co-located string and knobbie thing. I have seen waaaaay to many divers yank mercilessly on the oral inflator while their BC is in the wrong position in the water column to allow air to escape. This is why I recommend finding and always using the string dumper. You can only have so many cable ties with you to re-install the oral tubes after they've been seperated from the BC at the top.

So, dumping a BC is never an issue- if you know how to do it without yanking on the oral inflator tube.

I have heard of one of the two main brands going free flow more than others. I own both- never had a problem. I also have three other rigs that have octopus seconds that are the same size and shape, those slimline versions. They all breathe like you might imagine. Not as great as a world class second stage, but much better than any lower grade main second stage reg.

I like mine just fine.

On another note, If I am diving with newbies or unknown (cruise ship, one time buddies, etc) I use a main with 60" hose and a standard octo with a 36" hose. It's neatly stowed but available.

That's what Spare Air is for :wink: LOL

no, not a troll, just wondering.

saw one and my first impression was bad so I figured I'm come on the board and get nosey.

I did a search and found this by boogie711

"Mitigating risk is part of the nature of the beast. The only way to remove all risk is to not dive.

However, voluntarily accepting a risk for no reason other than "it's one less hose to worry about" or "it's easier to look after" is unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

I always get a kick out of people who dive with an Air2, but still carry a Pony bottle. That's a classic case of not thinking through your gear configurations"

After reading the thread this came from my opinion stays the same, I'd never buy one or use one and after reading that thread I would prefer to dive with someone who does not use that type of setup, I'm glad none of my buddies us one.

OK, so why do you folks think that an AIR2 needs to be above you to release air from your BC?
I rarely have used it that way. If you actually tried the AIR2 you would find that air can be released by tugging on the corrugated hose, which in turn releases the air from your BC from the left shoulder....you don't have to have it above your head.
I tested this in the pool before I bought it and then verified it in OW during an ascent from 40 ft. I kept the AIR2 in my mouth, tugged on the hose as I was ascending and VOILA!, it worked like a charm.

Are these things DANGEROUS?

ABSOLUTLEY...
As dangerous as:
1) So called "Resort Divers" that have not had proper training
2) divers entering wrecks without proper training
3) divers doing night dives without proper training.
4) divers going past their agencys depth limits without proper training.
5) the diver after an ascent wondering what the "blinking bug thing" was on their computer?...uhhhh, no fly indicator...lol. I guess she should have read the manual and had proper training.

I think you get the gist :wink: ...did I mention proper training.

One note though...all equipment is not for everyone. So I understand that some would not feel comfotable using it after they tried a piece of equipment and that is understandable. There is equipment out there that I don't like and have tried...while others love it.

Talk to your Dive Shop and test it in the pool. Yes, these things can be a hinderance, but if you try it properly and decide against it...no big deal. I'll stick with mine though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom