Octo integrated inflater question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be doing my 90th or so dive with an AIR 2 this weekend. I'm also trying out a six foot primary hose. This should be interesting...

I have a Zeagle Octo+ and am quite happy with it. From time to time, on shallower dives, I will use it as my primary second stage regulator. My customary regulator, an Atomic, is securely fastened to my BC for immediate access, if necessary.
In this manner I can make sure of its operational capabilities and be forewarned of any impending malfunctions.

I have used the Seaquest version called the Air Source. Mine has always worked fine and I like the streamlined profile/reduced clutter compared to a standard octo. When sharing air you would pull the octo/inflator to dump air from your shoulder.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I have used the Seaquest version called the Air Source. Mine has always worked fine and I like the streamlined profile/reduced clutter compared to a standard octo. When sharing air you would pull the octo/inflator to dump air from your shoulder.
To quote GUE:

Some BCs have a corrugated hose that is connected to a pull dump allowing thediver to pull the hose releasing air from the bladder. This feature encourages the diver to frequently pull on a vital piece of life support equipment. If a diver accidentally pulled the corrugated hose free from the BC, the bladder would rapidly empty its air supply, leaving the diver without buoyancy control. Individuals are encouraged to avoid this feature as it could easily prove life-threatening.
In addtion to the above, I don't see how this would work any better than without the pull string. If you have to "pull the octo/inflator" to dump air, do you not have to remove it from your mouth to do so?

The only time I had to share air w/ someone using an air2 he offered me the air2 NOT his primary.

fixxer- do a gogle on rec.scuba for a few years ago - you'll find lots of discussion on this.

And how come none of youse are recommending the sherwood shadow? You can disconnect it from the power inflator, inflate your Halcyon SMB and breathe from it at the same time.

James Goddard:
To quote GUE:

In addtion to the above, I don't see how this would work any better than without the pull string. If you have to "pull the octo/inflator" to dump air, do you not have to remove it from your mouth to do so?

You can pull the hose without affecting the octo in your mouth. The distance the hose moves to open the vent in your should is maybe 1/8 an inch.

So, you "like the streamlined profile/reduced clutter compared to a standard octo."

But as you know, if your BC inflator starts to freeflow, you disconnect your inflator/octo combo, thus disconnecting your secondary air source.

So, you combat this by adding to your profile and clutter, by carrying a pony bottle? Hmmm... no, thanks. Is the mix in your stage bottle at least a higher O2 % that's used for offgassing?

If I want redundancy in a single tank setup, I'll add an H-valve, thanks. I have a redundant air source on every dive I do - carried on my buddies back.

Boogie711:
So, you "like the streamlined profile/reduced clutter compared to a standard octo."

But as you know, if your BC inflator starts to freeflow, you disconnect your inflator/octo combo, thus disconnecting your secondary air source.

So, you combat this by adding to your profile and clutter, by carrying a pony bottle? Hmmm... no, thanks. Is the mix in your stage bottle at least a higher O2 % that's used for offgassing?

If I want redundancy in a single tank setup, I'll add an H-valve, thanks. I have a redundant air source on every dive I do - carried on my buddies back.

Correct on how to resolve bc inflator free flow. Same outcome as a free flow from one of your regs mounted on an H-valve. As with any type of gear failure like that you immediately abort the dive. The added gear in a pony is worth the totally redundant system not addressed with an H-valve or reliance that your buddy is arms reach from you. I am a fan of H-valves by the way. If I had the $$ I would have an H-valve and a pony for shore dive purposes. I settle for just the pony when doing winter shore dives. My $$ is in my doubles rig.

I just don't believe in counting on my buddy and his equipment for my safety. I want everything I need right on my system.

If I am doing a deco dive I have a higher 02% in the deco bottle of course. For the shore dive scenario above I use just air with no deco intentions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom