Octo Holder Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. Before I found ScubaBoard the DiveGearExpress (formerly DiveRiteExpress) site was a great resource for me. I devoured all the tips for eliminating "danglies," etc., and buying from them has always been a pleasure.

Yup, and they are the only site to offer tank fills online...

I have used everything from a rubber bank to a variety of manufactured special items and the one you picture id my favorite. I am curious why yours doesn't work well. It may be worn out, or you are catching you alternate air source hose on things (including a waving arm). The holder should secure the alternate air source AND be easy to pull the regulator from. Use what works for you. But pay attention to what is knocking the thing loose. It may not be a holder problem.
DivemasterDennis

I wound up getting a necklace like this from Divers-Supply. My wife laughed at me, :dork2: but I liked it - never had a problem with the octo coming loose and it was in my "triangle" of where it should be.

Here's a pic of like the one I got:
SEE0086.jpg

Here's me on the bridge of the Kittiwake - you can see the octo.
me_scuba-2.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• me_scuba.jpg
    me_scuba.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 165
I switched to the Diverite one that others told about. I really am glad I switched.

Can anyone recommend a good octo holder - so it's not dragging behind me, hitting stuff, etc.?

Taking the thread in another direction, I know several instructors who swear by magnetic octo holders. It really helps if you have to demonstrate something with an octo several times in a row and don't want to work it back into a keeper each time.

Otherwise, I've never seen anyone have any issues with silicone snorkel keepers - cheap, reliable and streamlined. I can't speak to the necklace option.

the snorkel keeper is the best, especially for new students... they never can get the mouthpiece into the fitted ones and the snorkel keepers are cheap!

Taking the thread in another direction, I know several instructors who swear by magnetic octo holders….

Magnetic “snaps” are great for all kinds of things, until you get anywhere near rusting iron. They suck little particles up like a Hoover. The really good rate-earth magnets are strong enough that they are really hard to clean.

I came across this octo holder and I liked it. Please what are your opinions ?

IMG_7538.jpg

It´s a rubber band, cut from a car tube, around the tank that holds the octo hose. Very streamlined.

In what way is that "located in the triangle formed by your chin and the corners of your rib cage"?

I can see it leading to an OOA diver resorting to snatching your primary out of the owner's mouth.. and them not being able to easily reach back and grab it for themself.

I see it getting snagged on anything snagable.

I see it dropping out and the diver not noticing.

I see it sparking a lecture on 'proper diving practices' from every DM on every dive boat the diver books onto.

I see it leaking and draining air, without the diver noticing.

I see it getting damaged, without the diver noticing.

If someone was happy to use this, they could just save the money spent on a second-hand inner-tube and stuff the thing into a BCD pocket....

View attachment 117203

It´s a rubber band, cut from a car tube, around the tank that holds the octo hose. Very streamlined.

Hmm not too sure. How easily does it deploy? how visible is it to another diver when you are wearing BC?

Back
Top Bottom