Octo Holder Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one very similar to the OP...it worked well except someone borrowed it and never returned it. Diving with my doubles I have my Octo on a bungee necklace. Diving single, I used a small piece of bungee tied into a loop which I insert through the D ring then into itself. I then insert the mouthpiece into the resulting loop. Very cheap to make and last a very long time. Still on my original one after a year and a half.

How about a Octo necklace? It will be right by your mouth if needed.

Manta Regulator Necklace discounts on sale Manta

I tried this necklace and didn’t care for it on the few occasions I actually wear an Octopus. Three issues:
  • The diameter is too large and interfered with my lips, at least on an Atomic second stage.
  • It didn’t hold the mouthpiece tight enough and fell out several times
  • The neck ring is large enough that it hung in my field of vision when horizontal.
I currently use a piece of 3/16" Bungee on a brass trigger clip secured to a D-ring on my belly band. Sucks less than other options I have tried.

Buy 40 and give them friends!

It just passes though it's self and latches on to a D-Ring or other feature. Works well for me. I keep a second on my right chest shoulder D ring so I can stow my primary before letting my rig down.

Pete

Can you guys see the issue with just tucking the octo under the waist strap of the rig? -ie under the strap and ove rthe velcro?

I have the same one as you. It's come out only rarely, and then I put it back. Maybe try another one like it.

i'm using these ones
P5890236T.jpg

Attachments

• P5890236G.jpg
    P5890236G.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 354
I tried this necklace and didn’t care for it on the few occasions I actually wear an Octopus. Three issues:
  • The diameter is too large and interfered with my lips, at least on an Atomic second stage.
  • It didn’t hold the mouthpiece tight enough and fell out several times
  • The neck ring is large enough that it hung in my field of vision when horizontal.
I currently use a piece of 3/16" Bungee on a brass trigger clip secured to a D-ring on my belly band. Sucks less than other options I have tried.

Interesting... well, different people have different preferences... I guess that's the point of sharing here! :)

I always found the necklace to be much more streamlined than clipping the reg to your shoulder strap, from where it has a high likelihood of getting snagged or pulled away in current. I have never had the reg come loose from the necklace in mid dive (I use this style, which is very secure).

If you do deploy the backup second stage, you don't need to leave it in the necklace mount, so lip interference shouldn't be an issue...

This link goes into the usage in some detail. Here I am using it:

masks.jpg

Safe diving!

Dive-Rite Octopus Holder # 2086

I've been using this one for years. Clipped to a D ring on my harness, I can access my octo without using my hands.

Same here - though the bungee is pulling apart from the little flap of webbing that loops around the plastic clip PLUS the spring in the clip is rusting. Same on my wife's. I also can't re-insert the octo if I'm wearing my 5mm gloves

When it breaks - which I assume will be this year, I'll switch to my silicone snorkel keeper (the one with one rectangle end and one circle end)

…I always found the necklace to be much more streamlined than clipping the reg to your shoulder strap, from where it has a high likelihood of getting snagged or pulled away in current. I have never had the reg come loose from the necklace in mid dive (I use this style, which is very secure)…

My observations were specifically regarding the necklace made by Manta that Mopar asked about, not necklaces in general. Sorry for any confusion. The Dive Rite necklace you prefer is far superior to the Manta because it is adjustable both for tension holding the second stage so it wouldn’t come loose so easily and around the neck so it doesn’t dangle in the field of view.

I do have a question about the Dive Rite necklace for you. The Web page indicates it is made from 3/8" bungee, but it looks much smaller in the photos. Is that what yours measures?

The reason I ask is because the Manta necklace rubs my lips on an Atomic second stage and measures a little over 3/8". The instructions under “make your own” necklace on your link recommends 1/8" bungee, which would be much less crowded.

The home-brew holder I described is similar to the Dive-Rite Octopus Holder # 2086 that phillybob and CT Sean use, except for substituting a brass clip for the plastic. For me, the advantage is the Octo hose is held tight against my torso to minimize entanglement potential. The downside is it is not as close to my mouth as a necklace would hold it.

There is an argument for a necklace product I have not seen yet — one that adjusts quickly (tightens and releases) with one hand to secure the regulator in the mouth for rescue situations. There are cases where a diver feels like they may pass out and wants to secure the mouthpiece just in case, or is found immobilized but breathing with plenty of air. Either way, it may prevent some drownings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom