octo air 2,,,good way or bad way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
Nice.

Ever use one? Yes

Ever service one? Yes- many times

Ever see the inside of a typical rec diver's octo? yes- more than I care to think about

And???

They're still crap. :)

terrasmak:
If the other setup is better for deminstrating why would it not be good for normal use. I would think in a real world enviroment you would want to easier of the two. So when someones life is in danger you would recomend the one that sucks??

BTW bungy backup os the way to to , away with the Air2's

It's about what's being done. Repetitive drilling of OOA, trying to demonstrate proper form plus watch the students, a standard safe second is easier. Operationally, recreational diving, I know precisely how to use my Shadow+, have zero problems with it, and in an OOA that's end of dive -- I'm not trying to practice/demonstrate it for others, multiple times in a row, but rather to do a safe management of an OOA condition, clean ascent.

(Want the students to focus on the idea of dump hose going overhead, depressing the dump valve to release air during ascent. With an Air2, or my Shadow+ if I haven't disconnected it, the dump looks more complex than it needs to, because of the left arm going in front of your face.)

If the majority of people dove Air2, Shadow+, or similar, I would stay with just the Shadow+. Working with folks who are absolutely new, just learning, I'm trying to use what they are likely to have. My only "cheat" in this area is that since I added a separate safe second I chose to go left-hand model with a 5' hose; the way the LP attaches to it, on the opposite side from "normal", makes it simpler to hand off, and the 5' hose is nicer for options on how to end the dive -- lets you swim horizontally, side by side, to an ascent line, easier.

(I actually would have gone for a 4' hose on it, but the shop had a 5' on hand. No dangly issues -- other than for practice/demo, the hose is in a loose loop, a piece of surgical tubing that is attached to one of my BCD's side compression straps. It stays nicely against my side unless I deploy it.)

superstar:
Please explain?
do a search.. you'll find more than a few examples right here on SB of folks that will tell you why. I've made more than a few posts indicating why they are crap.

Most people have their mind made up and just want to argue about it so I'm not saying more. Search is your friend, my friend. :)

It's an awful lot to manage if you are sharing and need to use the inflator for dumping or adding air. Adds lots of confusion. They're tuned to breathe hard so they don't free flow and that's the last thing a rec diver needs at a time of great stress when one of the "team" is OOA.

I lied, I said more. :)

But that's why you're supposed to practice with your own gear, once you buy it. If you own it, practice with your normal buddy, it's no big deal. The stressed person is the one OOA, not me -- if someone yanks my primary, I am entirely comfortable with the Shadow+, know how it breathes, know exactly where it is.
No different from diving with a pony. If you buy one, it's incumbent on you to learn how it works, get comfortable with the valve and reg placement on your BC. My pony reg is mounted right side, at my waist, I know it. Drop my right hand down and the pony valve is immediately in front of the hose, I know it. If I don't practice with any of my equipment, that's my error -- personal responsibility is, or should be, drilled into the head of anyone who dives.

markfm:
But that's why you're supposed to practice with your own gear, once you buy it. If you own it, practice with your normal buddy, it's no big deal. The stressed person is the one OOA, not me -- if someone yanks my primary, I am entirely comfortable with the Shadow+, know how it breathes, know exactly where it is.
No different from diving with a pony. If you buy one, it's incumbent on you to learn how it works, get comfortable with the valve and reg placement on your BC. My pony reg is mounted right side, at my waist, I know it. Drop my right hand down and the pony valve is immediately in front of the hose, I know it. If I don't practice with any of my equipment, that's my error -- personal responsibility is, or should be, drilled into the head of anyone who dives.

I rest my case.

Randy43068:
It's an awful lot to manage if you are sharing and need to use the inflator for dumping or adding air. Adds lots of confusion. They're tuned to breathe hard so they don't free flow and that's the last thing a rec diver needs at a time of great stress when one of the "team" is OOA.

I lied, I said more. :)
Not too much for me to manage but I am a good multi tasker.

Randy43068:
They're tuned to breathe hard so they don't free flow and that's the last thing a rec diver needs at a time of great stress when one of the "team" is OOA.
They do tend to come set to breathe harder than a primary reg, but then so do nearly all conventional octos, most of which, when sold as octos, are factory set with an inhaltion effort about 1" of water higher than the same second stage when sold as a primary.

An Air 2 (or clone), like any other second stage, can also be set up with a lower inhaltion effort. I have set mine up for years with an inhalation effort around 1.2 to 1.3 " of water and it does not have any tendency to freeflow. So getting better performance from one is just a matter of asking the tech to set it up to breathe easy - just like you would need to do if you did not want your conventional octo to breathe like a rock.

There's nothing wrong with having and expressing an opinion, but since any moron can have an opinion on just about anything, limiting one's self to expressing only well developed, thoroughly considered and informed opinions will do wonders for a person's credibility.

Interesting comment about practising with your gear. I check both regs when I enter the water. About every second dive I breathe off my backup for a few minutes to keep myself familliar with it and ensure it is working properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom