Oceanic VTX Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take this for whatever it's worth because I've only done 3-dives (single day outing) with the Aeris 300CS. I bought it on sales at a pretty decent price without doing a lot of research into it. Hindsight being what it is, I might not had bought the darn thing judging from all the reviews on Scubaboard. That's what happens when you impulse purchase.

Anyway, despite my misgivings after reading up the reviews and A WHOLE THREE DIVES on that computer, it seems to work OK for me. Didn't have any issue with legibility though I didn't put it directly under the sunlight. There was a nice sun out that day and I just tilted the computer's screen both on land and in water.

Air integration feature worked. I dived it with my trusty Aeris Elite T3 for backup and the pressure readouts both match each other down to a tee. Depth readings were within a couple feet of each other, etc.

I'll have to keep an eye out for various issues as soon as diving season kicks in. I missed living in SoCal - I would be diving right now and truly give this Aeris/Oceanic pretty color computer a work out.

I'll need to remind myself to pack a couple extra batteries in my save-a-dive kit.

I think that I need a software upgrade on this thing because the bottom time is on the alternate screen instead of the primary screen...but then that's what my wrist watch is for. Haha.

New%20Dive%20Computer%20Aeris%20300%20CS_zpswfr04fur.jpg

HT%20Santa%20Barbara%201_zps3yoqfecx.jpg

Air integration feature worked. I dived it with my trusty Aeris Elite T3 for backup and the pressure readouts both match each other down to a tee. Depth readings were within a couple feet of each other, etc.
Good to know. I plan on stilling running a separate simple dial SPG to test my Aeris out, at least the first few dives.

I'll need to remind myself to pack a couple extra batteries in my save-a-dive kit.
Yep, especially if the "always-on" backlight isn't user settable.

I think that I need a software upgrade on this thing because the bottom time is on the alternate screen instead of the primary screen...but then that's what my wrist watch is for. Haha.
Call Oceanic tech to verify. They added EDT (elapsed dive time) to the main screen in the firmware for July 2015. Sounds like you need that one.

At least bungee mount is available from Oceanic for this sucker. The bungee mount and screen protector are my next buy.

Just curious, do you have a specific reason for wanting a bungee mount?

So I purchased the Aeris A300 CS shortly after release. Initially I wasn't happy, had to keep sending it back, but I believe that Oceanic has most of the manufacturing kinks worked out. While the battery life isn't stellar, the battery warning signal is helpful. I always carry spare rechargeable batteries in my save a dive kit, so that hasn't been a problem. It will last a few dives, and I put it on 100% brightness and leave it there. Now I'm pretty happy with it. Would I buy it again? Possibly, but I'd look at other wrist computers with OLED screens and AI, but I'd definitely consider it. I'm very curious about the Seabear H3. But I'm also looking at making my own dive computer as well. That will be an interesting venture.

But I'm also looking at making my own dive computer as well. That will be an interesting venture.
Keep us updated on that. Using some kind of nano-PC like Raspberry Pi or similar? That would be a challenging but fun project! Curious, where would you get the various sensors? (among a hundred other questions, lol.)

To be honest, I was originally looking in the $400 range, AI-capable but obviously no transmitter incl. at that price point. I was serious between the Oceanic Atom 3.1 and the Suunto D4i Novo. But then a sweet deal came up on a near-new Aeris A300 CS with transmitter for ~$500, so I jumped on it. New VTX setups w/ xmit go for over $800, couldn't resist.

Another note on the battery, I'm curious if it has a backlight timer, always on, or user settable? I'll check the manual...

Where did you get that deal...and is it still available?

Where did you get that deal...and is it still available?
Oh it was eBay, not new. I watch eBay/Amazon/etc. all the time, along with LeisurePro, Scuba.com, DiversDirect, etc. Searching on all the gear I'm looking to build this Winter. I got lucky, and leap of faith based on seller reputation, close inspection of pictures, etc. Appears perfect.

I'll just replace both batteries (watch and x-mitter) and O-ring(s) for starters. It's out of warranty, so in the very worst case scenario (failure), I'd send it to Oceanic to get completely rebuilt for $225. Pretty much good as new after that. And that's only if this seller is a complete scammer and it's messed up somehow, doubtful. I'll report back on any issues.

Back
Top Bottom