Oceanic VTX Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do update me Ghosty. Thanks kindly.

American Underwater Products discontinued the Aeris brand and folded it into Oceanic in 2014. They continued to support Aeris. Huish bought Oceanic and Hollis in May 2017. You will be fortunate if they will replace your A300 CS for $225 or your PPS transmitter for $120, consistent with the Oceanic service program I linked in post #24.

Let us know how it goes, I'm sure others are in the same boat. If they replace your computer, tell us if it is with a A300 CS or a VTX.
Ok @Gerard Bourck and @scubadada, about a month ago I shipped my computer/x-mitter/cable to Oceanic / Huish Outdoors (SLC?), arrived ~ 7/4/18. Took them a month to start testing it, or just had a backlog. I gave them full details of the symptoms when it last worked and failed, etc. They just emailed me today. They didn't give details, but said my original Aeris was defective, so they're offering to upgrade me to a refurbished VTX for $225. Already paired it to my old transmitter, and they say it all works fine, ready to ship back to me as soon as I make payment (tomorrow). They also included a replacement new USB dongle/cable, to hopefully alleviate the tempermental one I had that would not stay connected to my laptop.

So far, sounds great. I'm 99% sure it's a FACTORY defect, not just random failure, but I didn't expect a miracle, this far out of warranty, lol. I'll let you know when it arrives.

@Gerard Bourck & @scubadada

Got my box back from Huish/Oceanic last week. It took a month, so they comp'd me the shipping ($13), no biggie. It's a refurb'd real VTX (not Aeris), woot! But looks brand new, flawless on the outside. The only notes in the email invoice (from tech Jose there) was "Defective computer", no details. I called Alex at Huish Tech Support, but he didn't have any further info either, but assured me it would be perfect.

A-1 Scuba here has a pressurized tank where they can test gear down to depth, so I might just have them do that. I'll let you know if I do, or I'll report back after my Cozumel trip in a few weeks!

Well, they (Oceanic/Huish) totally EFFED me again. This supposed refurbed "tested perfect" VTX couldn't see the transmitter, still! So totally useless on my current Cozumel trip, nothing was fixed. Diving with no computer, just my console (Cressi Mini-2).

Tried two new batteries in both DC and X-mitter. Verified correct settings on DC for TMT-1 enabled/available, etc. Emailed tech support, with photos to Alex Price the first day, and they never replied!

I'm LIVID with this piss poor customer service. They don't answer their phone either, their SLC number just goes to voicemail. When I get back I'll be trying to finally get a hold of someone. They'll have to bend over backwards to keep my business on ANY Oceanic or Huish product lines. I gave them enough chances. They had it for a month and I'm guessing they LIED about testing this, and sent me ANOTHER DEFECTIVE COMPUTER.

Stay tuned for a final report, AFTER they do whatever they do next. I've been very polite, patient, forgiving so far.

@Ghosty, please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just asking, like I might ask someone with a computer problem "is it plugged in?" No offense intended.

But, when you are trying to detect the transmitter from your VTX, is the transmitter mounted on a 1st stage, connected to a tank, and with the gas turned on? The transmitter doesn't turn on until it sees tank pressure.

I'm guessing you know that and that is how you've been trying it, so, like I said, please don't take my question the wrong way. Just trying to rule out the obvious.

Have you tried reading the transmitter from a different AI computer? In order to rule out that there is a problem with the transmitter.

@Ghosty, please don't take this the wrong way. I'm just asking, like I might ask someone with a computer problem "is it plugged in?" No offense intended.

But, when you are trying to detect the transmitter from your VTX, is the transmitter mounted on a 1st stage, connected to a tank, and with the gas turned on? The transmitter doesn't turn on until it sees tank pressure. I'm guessing you know that and that is how you've been trying it, so, like I said, please don't take my question the wrong way. Just trying to rule out the obvious. Have you tried reading the transmitter from a different AI computer? In order to rule out that there is a problem with the transmitter.
No offense at all, very legitimate questions. The divemaster also assisted me so I could have "two pairs of eyes" on the problem. We used a 3000# filled tank to test a 3rd time, and made sure air was flowing to the regs, and my Cressi console also showed full pressure.

Alex in tech support finally replied to my email a few days ago, says he was out of the office for the week I was in Coz apparently. I sent him another email yesterday with no response, and also called their tech support desk several times throughout the day. No answer each time. I'll be calling them several times throughout today, until they finally answer. For Huish being such a huge company (buying/merging with several other companies), they don't staff their T.S. desk very well. I'll also take my setup down to a local DS and have them put it on a full tank, and try again. I thought of trying another computer too, if the DS has one in stock.

My frustration is that they "claimed" they tested this out, charged me $250, and assured me by phone/voice that it was absolutely perfect and ready to dive with. That's why I didn't test it before the Coz trip. They took a month just to send me this one (for virtually no "work done" on their end I'm guessing.) It only takes an hour at MOST to troubleshoot this type of issue. They admitted it took too long, that's why they offered free shipping for the delay. So I'm already on edge about waiting for another one, or for them to answer the damn phone. I'll update here when it's resolved, or not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom