Oceanic VTX Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, do you have a specific reason for wanting a bungee mount?
The bungee mount is easy to use while wearing gloves. Not to mention it's easy on and off. I can also take it off and put the bungee cord through a bolt snap that's attached to my BC while on surface interval and it won't go anywhere. I've seen buckled straps coming off because of boat motion and etc. Besides, bungee mounts are cool and "tech like".

The bungee mount is easy to use while wearing gloves. Not to mention it's easy on and off. I can also take it off and put the bungee cord through a bolt snap that's attached to my BC while on surface interval and it won't go anywhere. I've seen buckled straps coming off because of boat motion and etc. Besides, bungee mounts are cool and "tech like".

I gotcha. You had me wondering if I need to rethink my plan for my H3.

I made a bungee mount for my Petrel. It works well and only cost me about 50 cents worth of parts.

2015-11-12%2023.29.37.jpg

You can slide the Fisherman's knots to adjust the fit for a bare arm or a dry suit or anything in between. And, obviously, having 2 separate bungees means that 1 can break and the computer still won't fall off.

But, for my Oceanic Atom computer (a wristwatch style), I replaced the stock band with a NATO type band.

http://www.westcoastime.com/drysdivdivdi.html

The NATO band ensures that if one of the strap pins breaks, you don't lose the watch. And, if you put it together right, it takes all the stress off the pins even if you cinch the strap down really tight on your arm.

For a watch style of computer, I like the strap better. I put it on before I put on my gloves, so that's not an issue. If I take it off, I just fasten the strap through the chest D-ring on my BC. And the strap doesn't add the bulk that I think a bungee mount setup would (to a watch).

I think I'm going to get the same kind of NATO strap for my H3.

First post ever here.
Not that I meant to keep this alive, but I found the info really helpful as I just got a “two hours of use” Aeris set looking new in the box with everything including transmitter for $400.
I’m suspecting a firmware upgrade will be needed and am curious to know the extent to which Oceanic still supports their customer base?
What about this complete rebuild for $225 I read about? I’m a newbie but when I get into something, I get in good and properly.
Also interested in any commercial dual bungee options for this watch as the discussions were intriguing and sensible.
And lastly... (maybe this is for another thread) what dive tracking apps tend to be the leaders, which can be ported with both Android (my phone), and iOS (my iPad mini)?
Looking forward to being part of this new sport community (diving Lake Superior this weekend... brrrrr).

Hi @Gerard Bourck

I'm afraid you are out of luck on service or replacement for your Aeris A300 CS. Oceanic/Huish does not support Aeris products. Oceanic will repair/replace an out of warranty VTX for $225 Support » Service Sorry, but you probably should have done your research prior to your purchase. The good news is that your PPS transmitter is compatible with the Shearwater Perdix AI and the Teric :)

There is a bungee mount available for the VTX, I would imagine it would work fine for the A300. You can see it on the bottom of the VTX webpage under accessories, $30.

I hope you get a lot of trouble-free service from your new dive computer.

Good diving, Craig

First post ever here.
Not that I meant to keep this alive, but I found the info really helpful as I just got a “two hours of use” Aeris set looking new in the box with everything including transmitter for $400.
I’m suspecting a firmware upgrade will be needed and am curious to know the extent to which Oceanic still supports their customer base?
What about this complete rebuild for $225 I read about? I’m a newbie but when I get into something, I get in good and properly.
Also interested in any commercial dual bungee options for this watch as the discussions were intriguing and sensible.
And lastly... (maybe this is for another thread) what dive tracking apps tend to be the leaders, which can be ported with both Android (my phone), and iOS (my iPad mini)?
Looking forward to being part of this new sport community (diving Lake Superior this weekend... brrrrr).

I had an Aeris A300 CS when they first came out. I had it replaced 4 times before it was solid (and it was solid at the end, just ate batteries and the screen is hard to read in bright light, not a problem at depth). I did sell it, as I did go with Shearwater. Don't consider it a total loss if the transmitter works. While a little high for used, you still have a great transmitter (assuming it hasn't been used a hammer) for a Perdix AI if you decide to go that route. While that is a fair bit of money, I'd advise against spending money to get your Aeris fixed. It is better applied to a Shearwater.

PM me if you have a A300CS and lost the software or bought it without. It does work fine with subsurface, but you can't set owner info using subsurface; nor can you set it with the oceanic software. Only the original software...

Hi @Gerard Bourck

I'm afraid you are out of luck on service or replacement for your Aeris A300 CS. Oceanic/Huish does not support Aeris products. Oceanic will repair/replace an out of warranty VTX for $225 Support » Service Sorry, but you probably should have done your research prior to your purchase.
Are you sure about this Craig, or have they changed policy in the last few weeks? I just worked with Huish Outdoors tech support for Oceanic. They said they are trying to support the Aeris users and are aware of the "transmitter losing connection" problem. Bad news, although it's obviously a factory flaw, there is no official "recall" for free fix/replace after it's out of warranty, unfortunately for me. But they do still support it since it's the same exact computer, just renamed/labeled. I'm not sure about the history of when/how Oceanic bought/absorbed Aeris.

@gerard

Background for context: A couple years ago I purchased a barely used (near new condition by the looks of it, and what the seller said) Aeris A300 CS. Well ends up it had that common loss of connection problem, which I discovered on my 2nd dive with it! Luckily it was when we were already starting the ascent to our safety stop, so wasn't in danger of being clueless on tank pressure. Needless to say I used mechanical guages ever since.

Only recently I finally decided to call them and try to get it fixed (life happens). The tech support guy was very friendly and understanding of my problem. I explained how it was pretty much new condition, just sat around unused for a long time, but this was a common problem I read online. He spoke to his team (or mgmt) and unfortunately wouldn't cut me a break and treat it like it was still under warranty. But he did say if I sent it to them, they'd test the computer and transmitter separately, to figure out which had the problem. Then they could offer me a replacement (refurbished I'm sure) equivalent unit for whatever price you guys mentioned, $225 for the DC, $150 for the x-mitter maybe? I forgot exactly.

They have my setup now, and I'm waiting to hear back what they find, but I will be sure to update you guys here! Wish me luck, lol...

Hi @Ghosty

American Underwater Products discontinued the Aeris brand and folded it into Oceanic in 2014. They continued to support Aeris. Huish bought Oceanic and Hollis in May 2017. You will be fortunate if they will replace your A300 CS for $225 or your PPS transmitter for $120, consistent with the Oceanic service program I linked in post #24.

Let us know how it goes, I'm sure others are in the same boat. If they replace your computer, tell us if it is with a A300 CS or a VTX.

Best of luck and good diving,

Craig

Interesting! Supposed 2week turnaround time, so I'll definitely update you guys, as they update me...

Back
Top Bottom