Oceanic Delta4 or Apeks XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hamsiss:
If I use octo XTX20/40 on my left, it will be for use of my buddy and I won't be able breath it properly but if I use it on my right just reverse will happen??? what's your idea about this?
Can anyone answer this? Looking the opposite side it seems so different isn't it?

hamsiss:
If I use octo XTX20/40 on my left, it will be for use of my buddy and I won't be able breath it properly but if I use it on my right just reverse will happen???

If you are saying what I think u are saying... isn't the problem the same with a regular octo, there are some octos that are ambidextrous but you'll find the same problem with the majority of octos.

SangP

fppf:
I almost laugh at the people that have those BC inflator/Octo things. Those are almost pointless in my mind. The hose is so short you need your face in there chest to breath off it. Then when they need to vent air from there BC now what?

I think the proper way to use the BC inflator/octo thingie is to use it for yourself, and donate your primary. This would require lengthening the primary hose to the minimum 40" octo length. I doubt this is actually what is in practice, tho. YMMV

(I use a long hose/bungied backup, so I'm far from an expert on Air2's)

Mike

Tanked Monkey,

Not everyone is tech or dir trained and the most of the OW training agencies still prefer the octo hanging by your left or right.

There is one case when I don't mind sharing air using such a short hose... I'm sharing air with a diving babe LOL!

SangP

They recommend the OOA diver breathing the Air2 while the donating diver breathes his normal reg? Geez, if that's the case you might as well just buddy breathe the same reg.

Mike

Uh oh, I guess this thread is degenerating to an typical anti-Air2 discussion. Sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Hamiss - what do you mean by "If I use octo XTX20/40 on my left"? Are you saying if you use the octo on the left side of your body? or do you mean with the hose coming out of the left side of the 1st stage reg, or 2nd stage reg? I'm confused:huh:

Mike

DONT get the Oceanic!!
On my first vacation dive, My Delta4 burst a first stage high pressure seat in 80ft water. Lost air pressure fast and had to make a 30sec ascent. After that scary event, I read extensively about diving safety and concluded that the guys on scubaboard are heavily into safety. I suspect that the "dry valve technology" is in its infancy and would not be allured by "advanced technology". I suspect that this had something to do with my "incident". Go with SAFETY and TIME TESTED always.

For piece of mind...I now have XTX200 with DiveRite BP/W setup.

After further research, you will debate b/t egress and bungied backup, but will most likely learn to go with a long hose primary and bungied backup. **Apeks does not sell second stage regulators by itself without charging hefty fees** I had to buy an XTX50Octo and convert the yellow pieces to make into a regular XTX50. If I had the option...DS4/XTX50/XTX50 seems the best time tested safe option.

If the LDS is not giving many options, call techdivinglimited.com They were the only ones I could find to give me what I wanted.

The high pressure seat inside the first stage let loose?
What was the end result, I would think your second stage would just start to free flow?
Did you send it back to oceanic for failer investigation? What did they say?
How many dives where on it?

Why did you need to make such a fast accent?

Tanked Monkey:
Hamsiss - what do you mean by "If I use octo XTX20/40 on my left"? Are you saying if you use the octo on the left side of your body? or do you mean with the hose coming out of the left side of the 1st stage reg, or 2nd stage reg? I'm confused:huh:

Mike

I mean if I have a classical octo (which is for right hand use) and hang that from left of my chest; it will be suitable for use of my buddy only and if I need my octo to breathe (very low possibility, but never impossible) I won't be able to use it properly.
If I hang it from right of my chest my buddy won't be able breathe it properly,
in my opinion low profile octos such as Apeks Egress (egress has a pneumatically balanced valve) solves the problem. am I wrong about this?

I wish I had looked at this thread before... Being new to diving and recently certified. I got the Delta 4. Money was not really an issue.

Anyway, it doesnt look like i'll be testing any serious limits of my gear although safety is my primary concern...

Back
Top Bottom