Oceanic Delta4 or Apeks XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I have the Delta4/FDX10 setup.
We are not into tech yet, but working on it. We got in almost 100 dives in our first year of diving. Most of our dives are in the great lakes, cold and 100+ feet.
We have never had a problem with our regs to date. We took a vaca to Maui and did some shore diving in really high surf. Ended up getting stuffed by some waves and got sand in ever crack you can think of. Rinsed the sand out of the 2nd's and finished up a week of diving. Had them rebuilt when we got back and they still had some sand, but worked perfect.

We have done shallow dives in the Niagara with 40 degree water temps. I over breathed the reg to try and free flow it until I was dizzy and it did not free flow.

Here is another ScubaLabs test that has the Delta4 in it with the same tests as the above posted link. The Delta 4 scored right along with the Apeks.
http://dive.scubadiving.com/PDF/200506GR_breathers_chart.pdf

I understand the opinion to use what works and don't fix what's not broken. But except for the swivel as far as I can tell the Delta4 meets all the DIR rules. You can easily remove the swivel with a fitting change when putting on a long hose.

We are also looking at getting our tech gear started. I was just going to buy a second set of Detla4's for our doubles. But if someone can point to some info of issues I will rethink that, and something more than "there not reliable".

As pffp says, they are both excellent regs and any performance differences may not be perceptible (to us humans), and if they are identical in price, I'd ask myself the following questions to help you decide:
1. Of the LDS you're considering buying these rigs, which one offers better service, better training, better facilities, friendlier/helpful staff etc?
2. How much does annual service cost for each reg? I understand Oceanic has a free parts program and you only pay for labor for replacing them (or it may be the other way around), not sure about Apeks.
3. Do you plan on traveling with your regs? Find out which company is more widely supported in the places you're likely to travel to. (I know it is relatively easier to get parts for Oceanic in the Asia-Pacific region whereas Apeks is more common in Europe, I think)

EvaL:
2. How much does annual service cost for each reg? I understand Oceanic has a free parts program and you only pay for labor for replacing them (or it may be the other way around), not sure about Apeks.
3. Do you plan on traveling with your regs? Find out which company is more widely supported in the places you're likely to travel to. (I know it is relatively easier to get parts for Oceanic in the Asia-Pacific region whereas Apeks is more common in Europe, I think)

EvaL,

In Singapore and most of SE Asia there is not such thing as a free parts program on any reg that I'm aware of. Besides, I do my own servicing so that's isn't a problem. As for parts being more readily available for Oceanics vs Apeks in Asia, I'm quite sure that isn't the case.

The easiest to find parts are 1 (aqualung), 2 (scubapro), 3 (apeks) at least in SEA.

Either way it's unlikely you won't be able to service your apeks regs in Asia, just check out their dealer list. Compare that to Oceanic's list. Apeks is owned by Aqualung so it's even easier to get parts in Asia.

SangP

SangP,

MK19 is available in Singapore. I don't think SP Asia doesn't distribute it yet.

I agree that FST is one of the best reg... I believe that's the reason why John Bennett's favorite reg was Apeks FST.

Vie:
What kind of diving do you plan to do? What's your reason for picking these two?

That's a good point to start...

hoosier,

The Singapore SP distributors are really a bunch of $$$ minded S*Bs. They aren't distributing the Mk17 cus they get more $ from the Mk25. Unless the Mk19 is going to be as profitable I seriously doubt I'll see one anytime soon. That's why despite SP obvious technical advantage I'm still on my Apeks cus their marketing really needs to go back to the drawing board.

I'm sticking with my Apeks as they are like cockroaches... they'll be around long after I'm gone and done. They already breath more than sufficient for all and I mean ALL survival diving depths. They don't change their regs much so parts are always about.

hoosier, I hope you aren't making fun of someone dead and gone cus that reply can be read both ways LOL!

SangP

SangP:
hoosier, I hope you aren't making fun of someone dead and gone cus that reply can be read both ways LOL!

SangP

NO. Never!!!!:no

I respect his achivement............and his gear choice.... I also have three FST...

I recently purchased a Delta 4 after much thought and really like it. The unit has the typical O quality feel and finish and breathes well at depth. The swivel is nice and the purge cracks easily (first reg was a Viper so this is night and day for me). The price I paid LP was scary cheap, in hindsight I should have asked Larry to match it so I could get the official warranty.

I kidda guessed that you weren't that's why there was a LOL at the end of my post.

I love my FST too but I only wished they were a lot lighter LOL!

SangP

I used the ATX50 for a VERY long time... Easy to service on the road. Reliable and tough as nails. Recently upgraded to the ATX200, largely because its a little lighter. Can't complain about Apeks. Used them for the last 12 years. Never had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom