Oceanic Delta4 or Apeks XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hamsiss:
In fact I'm a new diver and this will be my first reg
but I want a reliable and durable reg,
which will support me in deep, cold (in future) safely and comfortably.
I've narrowed it to these two by the helps of user reviews, performance tests on magazines and firms' info.
And a good campaign for both Apeks and Oceanic
both of their prices are simply identical (I wish "identical" is the true word :D) 360-380€.
About DS4 I dont like swivel turrets (don't feel safe),
If XTX100 is the same (or better) no need to pay more for a shiny XTX200..
If I could rate service support, I can't as I'm not experienced, they are simply the same. (Oceanic service supports Apeks as well)

hamsiss,

Please go read more bout the regs, the DS4 doesn't have a turret, the XTX100 is better than the 200 in terms of performance but it's a little heavier. If this was your first reg, go get the DS4/XTX50. When you have decided to do tech, you can then consider which more expensive reg you want to buy then. It's better to get a reasonably priced reg that is a great performer and should you like something else like sp later it isn't too late to change. For your first reg you can't do much better than the DS4/XTX50/XTX50 combo.

SangP

SangP and Kompressor thanks for your responses I'm going to my LDS tomorrow and learn XTX50 and XTX100 prices.

SangP "DS4/XTX50/XTX50 combo" do you offer XTX50 as an octo? I was planning to get an Egress as secondary??

hamsiss,

First off I really don't like an octo being anything other and a proper 2nd stage, this thread confirms why.

My local lds was willing to sell me a full setup of a DS4/XTX50/ATX50 for bout the same price as a XTX100 so what do you think my choice would be???

SangP

SangP:
hamsiss,

First off I really don't like an octo being anything other and a proper 2nd stage, this thread confirms why.

My local lds was willing to sell me a full setup of a DS4/XTX50/ATX50 for bout the same price as a XTX100 so what do you think my choice would be???

SangP

Agree, totally! :)

Anyways, I haven't even bothered to stock any "yellow" regs in my shop. 9 out of 10 regs I sell is DS4+XTX50+XTX50, + a decent manometer. No10 is usually set up for doubles... :D

hamsiss:
SangP and Kompressor thanks for your responses I'm going to my LDS tomorrow and learn XTX50 and XTX100 prices.

SangP "DS4/XTX50/XTX50 combo" do you offer XTX50 as an octo? I was planning to get an Egress as secondary??

If your LDS cannot (= will not...) set up a pair of XTX50 with a DS4 for a good price, then they're not cooperating with you. Some shops prefer to sell what they have in stock, including my own. But since many people don't like turrets, the DS4 should be an option and should be kept in stock if they want to sell Apeks. It's even much cheaper than the DST, so you should be able to cut off some more money to spend on other stuff as well.

Good luck to you!

Hamsiss,

I have an XTX 200 and it has been great. I was originally going to get the 100 but I ended up getting this one for a better deal.

I have dove with people that have Oceanic’s and they seem to really like them. Also Doug from Oceanic seems to be very responsive to questions posted on ScubaBoard and give ScubaBoard members great customer service that Aqualung doesn’t even understand.

I am no expert, but to me there are a couple keys to consider: (1) you said that the Oceanic is more comfortable. I think this would really sway me. Did you try them in the store or underwater? If you didn’t dive with them and it is possible do it. (2) Service. If one is easily serviced where you live or if you have found a shop that you really like, I think that this should be a factor.

In general you will find that most people really like and recommend the regulator they have even if they have never tried the others. I would take this as meaning that they are all pretty good.

Good luck.
Soggy

Great solution! My brother is getting certified in one month and we'll get 1 set Oceanic and 1set of Apeks.
As an octo they don't have XTX50 or XTX40 in stock but they have XTX20 (warm water version) but they say they can convert it to a 40 changing just a simple connection part what is your advise on this?
And Egress seem a better choice which will support both me and my buddy;
If I use octo XTX20/40 on my left, it will be for use of my buddy and I won't be able breath it properly but if I use it on my right just reverse will happen??? Egress seem to be the solution what's your idea about this? And in user manual, Apeks says that Egress can be used as a primary 2nd as well???

Using a stock regulator as octopus seems to be a poor idea. It is unlikely that you will ever have to use the octopus. However, it will presumably be carried with you on every dive. A conventional second stage has an awkward shape for carrying securely and has water resistance. Consider this; an extra second stage should be specifically designed as an octopus. It should be both right and left handed and flat in shape to allow it to be stowed in a pocket or flat against the body when not in use. The hose should be of normal length, just long enough for a dual ascent to be accomplished without conflict. The octopus should be simple and deliver enough air to survive. Otherwise, it should be stable and not freeflow. It does not have to be adjustable, "balanced" or any of the other things, including expensive.

pescador775:
Using a stock regulator as octopus seems to be a poor idea. It is unlikely that you will ever have to use the octopus. However, it will presumably be carried with you on every dive. A conventional second stage has an awkward shape for carrying securely and has water resistance. Consider this; an extra second stage should be specifically designed as an octopus. It should be both right and left handed and flat in shape to allow it to be stowed in a pocket or flat against the body when not in use. The hose should be of normal length, just long enough for a dual ascent to be accomplished without conflict. The octopus should be simple and deliver enough air to survive. Otherwise, it should be stable and not freeflow. It does not have to be adjustable, "balanced" or any of the other things, including expensive.

I will have to disagree with almost everything with the exception of the "enough air to survive" part.

If you were doing nothing but recreational diving, I would safely say that almost any reg/octo is ok but anything into tech and your setup is an accident/liability waiting to happen.

Seldom have to use doesn't mean never and I would like to have my octo as good as my primary when I need to use it.

A 2nd stage is just a piece of plastic at most 2 cubic inches. A regular bc with all those pockets and stuff has much more water resistance.

Consider this, if this was true, why are all tech divers using a standard reg as an octo? I won't trust my life nor my buddy's to a octo at 30m much less at 60m.

The Apeks TX40 is a simple/reliable/reasonably priced 2nd stage/octo.

SangP

Yeah, I guess you never tried to make a SAFE accent from 130 feet while sharing air.
Its hard enough with a 3 foot hose when you have a dry suit and your trying to hold a stop.

I almost laugh at the people that have those BC inflator/Octo things. Those are almost pointless in my mind. The hose is so short you need your face in there chest to breath off it. Then when they need to vent air from there BC now what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom