Oceanfest gathering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I checked out the Ocean Fest site and saw a couple of seminars I am VERY interested in attending. Does anyone know how fast they fill up? Is there a way of preregistering for any of them, or is it just first-come-first-serve kind of a thing? Do they end up turning people away? I've never been, so I just thought I'd ask some of you who may have experienced these before.

Thanks!!

Kris

to the best of my knowlege (from going a couple times) it is first come first serve.

Hi Angie,

Maytag diving is something that I think MikeJacobs invented (the term, not the experience!) Imagine diving in a churning washing machine, full of dark clothes and suds. More excitement than one half-bright mammal can handle. When you come out, you look exactly like I did on Sunday, fried and frazzled and exhausted...

But even without diving, I'm sure that we'll have a blast at OF. I'm planning to take the Fish ID class with you guys, so that one should be pretty lively.

Anybody else from the Conchs doing that seminar? Jenny, Rebecca? You guys always outclass me with the Fish IDs on the dives, so I'm trying to catch up.

BTW, if you go to REEF's website, you can take their basic and advanced Fish ID quizzes. They're short, entertaining, and have been pretty helpful for me.

Grier- I can't let you out-FISH ID me, so Chris and I are planning to take the Fish ID class. Even though I've taken it before.

Grier and Rick- you guys might want to take some of the classes on Risk Management as you will soon be DMs. I've always found those types of classes good for helping me think more creatively in underwater stress situations.

I can't wait to see everyone! I was in NYC last weekend and I missed my FL sun and beach!!!

If I make it to Ocean Fest, I'll go mainly for the fish ID class. The REEF quizzes are a good starting point but they only include a small handful of fish. Still very helpful (and fun), though.

The fish that is frustrating the hell out of me right now are these gobies with these yellow lines running laterally. The distinguishing characterist is the shape of the marking on the snout (or lack thereof). I'm talking of the yellowline, spotlight, yellowprow, cleaner, and the sharknose gobies. The frustrating part is getting them to stay still long enough to check out their nose AND it is difficult to see the nose when they are swimming away from me! Luckily, they are shaded as commonly misidentified fish on the REEF worksheet so I don't feel alone! I'm also pretty lousy at my porgy speciations.

Anyway, I'm interested to see that presentation. Is it in a tent on the beach? I hope to make it out there! (I won't if my T-cells don't starting doing their jobs soon! :wink: )

Nathan

scbababe:
(LOL) "Please, don't make me wear a name tag in public!!!"
:wink:
I was thinking maybe something a little more inconspicuous, but I'm not sure what would work...

Jenny,

Are you going to be selling your "Stroke" t-shirts yet? If not, what a wasted marketing opportunity! You could make enough off of t-shirt sales to buy that mini-sub!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom