Observed an OW class yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By skydive,
It's not just one position. Flare to slow down, point your head down and get streamlined and even kick to speed up. If you're in 3mm or less, you can still arrest any descent by a big old inhale. Make any minor adjustments and Scuba on!

As an instructor working for that shop, you have no choice but to use what the shop provides, and that can be a real mess. .... I finally got a supply of extras to bring with me.

You have to decide how important each issue is. Will it be a critical safety issue? If so, you must deal with it, but if not.....

As the Director of Instruction of the second shop told me in exactly these words, "instructors are a dime a dozen." He said he had someone showing up looking for work about every other week, so an instructor who does not like the way the shop does things can easily be replaced.

Funny -- that's exactly how most secondary school administrators think. Quality of instruction? - Who cares? But can they coach soccer? -- We have a winner!

- Bill

In other words, you're saying some people shouldn't be allowed to dive.
What I said was "In a well designed curriculum, students who have the required prerequisite skills and who put in the required time and effort in the amount of time designed for course completion should complete the course satisfactorily. If there is a high failure rate in a course with properly screened students who are giving the expected effort..."

Pretty much all courses in all subjects screen to make sure students are qualified to begin the course. It is a waste of time to try to teach students who do not have the prerequisite skills needed to begin instruction. For open water classes, students are screened for medical conditions and age. They need to pass a swim test as well, but not much else. Some of that screening is done by the individual--people who don't really want to be scuba divers usually (but not always) avoid signing up.

More advanced classes require more advanced beginning skills on the part of the new diver, and doing that screening can be tricky. It is, however, important to do that screening, and one of those reasons is a matter of ethics. Let's say you charge $1,000 for a 3-day course, and you also charge for followup sessions or retaking the course for students who do not pass. If you accept students into the original course who do not have good enough skills to begin the course, meaning they are likely to fail, then I would argue you are ethically challenged.

I know of a case a number of years ago in which two students paid a technical instructor a lot of money for a full week course in Cozumel. They also paid his transportation, lodging, and food while he was there. At the end of the week they were told they had not passed, and they would have to repeat the entire course. Now, I do believe people should not pass a course just because they paid for it and put in the time, but if you have two highly motivated students working hard for the length of time you said the course should take to complete and they do not pass, then something is wrong with the screening, the design of the course, or the quality of the instruction, and all of those factors come back to the instructor.

Last edited:
but if you have two highly motivated students working hard for the length of time you said the course should take to complete and they do not pass, then something is wrong with the screening, the design of the course, or the quality of the instruction, and all of those factors come back to the instructor.
Now, that's a big butt, and one I completely agree with. I adapt as I teach, so no two students get precisely the same class. Even when they are taking the class together, I'll usually have to adapt things differently between the two. That means I have to constantly assess my efficacy as well as their ability to comprehend and apply.

It's not just one position. Flare to slow down, point your head down and get streamlined and even kick to speed up. If you're in 3mm or less, you can still arrest any descent by a big old inhale. Make any minor adjustments and Scuba on!
Right - that's what I've been saying :)

Verclich!
Ha! Boy, that's some German... if they ever re-do Hogan's Heroes or such, you definitely should apply.

Last edited:
Ha! Boy, that's some German... if they ever re-do Hogan's Heroes or such, you definitely should apply.
Yeah, I spoke it more than I wrote it. :D :D :D Same with my French... not so much with my Russian. I actually studied Russian.

A good place to start would be to raise the bar at the IDC/IE level.

Make it a requirement to have all skills demonstrated while being neutral.

I'm a firm believer that you can't teach it if you can't do it.

PADI pays lip service to having shills taught while neutral, but it isn't required; only encouraged.

You Tube is already littered with its fair share of on-the-knees PADI videos.
Which shows the prevailing image of how they want it to look.

Slow change will occur only because of individual instructors that are bring something better to the table and teaching neutral skills.

The "change" will only be local, and merely a drop in the bucket unfortunately.

There are other threads where the topic is "Why aren't more people becoming interested in diving?"

It is because of image.
My kids, who are teenagers, laugh at the typical "on the knees" videos on You Tube.

You Tube is often where people go for their first glimpse into something they are developing an interest in.

That glimpse of on the knees.......it looks stupid.

Having to demonstrate skills during the IDC was ridiculous. Having to be "evaluated" during the IE that way was too.

And that is exactly how the majority of all instructors are going to teach.

ScubaBoard is actually a great place to start.

Make it a requirement to have all skills demonstrated while being neutral.

I'm a firm believer that you can't teach it if you can't do it.

I agree 100% with the first two lines and 90% with the last. My only problem with the last is the "can't do it" part. The skills are easy to do when neutral--the myth that it requires some great deal of watermanship is what is stopping instructors from trying it.

Back
Top Bottom