NW Grateful Diver's New Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Well to put it mildly Bob NWGrateful Diver has a new BOO - Buddy Of Opportunity. He's not great on OOA drills since he always shoots to the surface. He'll always leave Bob unattended for short periods of time and he stirs up the bottom with ease. Nor does he carry back up lights or other gear. His breath smells like fish and he goes poo in the water.

Yes we are talking about the all lovable Cove 2 seal pup called Junior. The little guy was showing off last night. Circus acrobats have nothing on this guy. He does like to be tickled though and looks up at you with those big brown eyes. He's a keeper.

Last night Junior made me laugh so hard I nearly spit out my regulator. Bob and I had just finished at the Honey Bear and were starting to head for the beach. There are the three logs that make an arch in about 35' where you can do a swim through. Bob signaled to me that he was going to do it. I let him get about 6' in front of me and had my light on him. Bob was maybe 2' off the bottom in textbook trim when out of nowhere and at high velocity Junior flashed between between Bob's legs. The squeeze was on as Junior proceeded to go between Bob's belly and the bottom. Now I can't say that I've ever experienced something swimming between me and the bottom at mach 2 in the middle of the night so I figured Bob would get puckered not knowing if he was being attacked. Instead Bob reached out and grabbed Junior by the middle and let him tow him. Meantime, I'm choking because I was laughing so hard! I had had a lot of fun on the dive so far, but Junior's antics really made it memorable.

Bob's most best off topic line of the night was after pizza. We were standing outside looking at this dachshund dressed in a blue cordura coat. Bob sarcastically said "Oh look a duffel bag with a head." I'm still chuckling over that one...

That WAS a good dive....

Watching you narced to the gills at the log pile was entertaining :wink: as were Junior and mom seal's actions.... Somehow I don't mind so much when it's them mucking up the viz.

The only down side of that dive was it being cut short by Pug's leaking neck seal.

Thanks to you, NW GratefulBob, Uncle Pug for the gear loans, the vehicle loans and the housing. Kalvyn for the download cable. And thanks to all for all the dives. I'll look forward to doing it again sometime....

Snowbear:
That WAS a good dive....

Thanks to you, NW GratefulBob, Uncle Pug for the gear loans, the vehicle loans and the housing. Kalvyn for the download cable. And thanks to all for all the dives. I'll look forward to doing it again sometime....

They were all good dives. It was our pleasure to have you down here. Come on back any old time.

Thanks for the great story...and skillful story-telling! You had me right there with you, laughing around a regulator!
Thanks for letting the rest of us "ride-along" with y'all...I read your dive posts frequently as a vicarious thrill while our SoCal shore waters are trying to recover from the rain and wave action.
Cheers,
Claudette

Snowbear:
The only down side of that dive was it being cut short by Pug's leaking neck seal.
Ahem..... seeing as how my suit flooded 10 minutes into the dive at the logs (100') and I continued the dive until we all had worked our way back to the point of entry... and seeing as how you only had 900psi left out of and initial 3200psi... and seeing as how I still had enough to do another dive... and seeing as how the dive lasted 60 minutes in 45F water... and seeing as how I was soaked from neck to toes... and seeing as how the only thing that kept me alive for the last half hour of the dive was the thought of Pegasus Pizza...

Need I go on and on? I can you know. :D

As for Bob and his little buddy... I noticed that the little guy really does seem to have an affinity for Bob. This will be fun to watch this summer when the little fellow is a big fellow. :D

And OE2X.... why were you repeatedly ramming your tank valve into Snowbear's side down at the logs. It looked like you were trying to swim between her and the bottom... or something. What was that all about? :D

Uncle Pug:
As for Bob and his little buddy... I noticed that the little guy really does seem to have an affinity for Bob. This will be fun to watch this summer when the little fellow is a big fellow. :D
Considering my shape, I suspect he thinks we're related ... :eyebrow:

Uncle Pug:
And OE2X.... why were you repeatedly ramming your tank valve into Snowbear's side down at the logs. It looked like you were trying to swim between her and the bottom... or something. What was that all about? :D
I don't think OE2X was quite, er, "himself" at 108 fsw ... I mean, he seemed really confused when I tried to hand him a fish ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Junior is quite a fellow. Monday night I was down there with Kirby and we really didn’t see much of them, but maybe once or twice letting us know they were around. I was sitting in the bottom checking out a nuddle branch that must be smaller then a dime when I felt water wake around my head. Thinking it was my dive buddy getting close with his fins I looked uP and my buddy was still 5 feet away looking at something else. So when we decided to go look for other things I was a good foot above the bottom when I seen this black thing fly under me, Kirby having no idea what happened just continued on.

Bob what are you telling this pup man, thank God I was diving wet because I added to the overall PH balance of the sound at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom