Novice: which camera and case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissElaine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, this is slightly a broad thread, but I am looking to possibly investing in a decent digital "point and shoot" camera with underwater casing.

I'm a complete novice but I am looking to try my hand at underwater photography especially on my forth coming trip to the Philippines.

Are there any cameras with casings that are any good? I've seen that Canons are pretty good, and one of my friends has a Sea & sea set up.

Any recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks,

Elaine

My buddy has the Canon Powershot 780 and canon housing and it works great. The HD video it takes is pretty good. Very compact. Previously we also had the SD1000 and that was also a solid compact setup. I think there are probably lots of solid options under $500 for camera + housing.

Hi all, this is slightly a broad thread, but I am looking to possibly investing in a decent digital "point and shoot" camera with underwater casing.

I'm a complete novice but I am looking to try my hand at underwater photography especially on my forth coming trip to the Philippines.

Are there any cameras with casings that are any good? I've seen that Canons are pretty good, and one of my friends has a Sea & sea set up.

Any recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks,

Elaine

Don't get the sealife camera it has some mechanical noise inside and outside the housing whilst videoing. AVOID.

I bought a Panasonic TS1 recently with the FT1 case they make and absolutely love it! I was looking for a good way to shoot HD video and this one shoots either mpeg or mts files. The low light of the camera is outstanding, the adjustments easy and with a 28mm wide lens it covers alot of area while still being close to the subject.

I am looking to upgrade and am looking at Canon S90 or Panasonic FX48...

I am looking to upgrade and am looking at Canon S90 or Panasonic FX48...

I got my Canon G11 yesterday and the underwater case should be here on Thursday :) I did quite a few low light tests yesterday with very positive results so should be great for diving.

I got my Canon G11 yesterday and the underwater case should be here on Thursday :) I did quite a few low light tests yesterday with very positive results so should be great for diving.

Cool!! Looking forward to seeing some of your shots :)

Canon S60 with housing on ebay for $199

Attachments

• Surgeon Fish.jpg
    Surgeon Fish.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Sea turtle.jpg
    Sea turtle.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Moorish Idol Fish.jpg
    Moorish Idol Fish.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Marine Iguana.jpg