Novice: which camera and case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i just got myself a panasonic lumix zs3 with u/w housing. alittle more expensive at 580usd.
but you get a leica lens , 12x optical zoom, great auto settings, 25mm wide angle, and the most important thing for me - 720p hd video with optical zoom.
its like having both a camera and a videocam in one.
best bang for buck imho

check it out :)

Maybe I'll ask santa for christmas...not sure if I've been good enough this year! Really tempted by the panasonic lumix as a point and shoot camera anyway. Thanks for the recommendations :)

Well Elaine, I'll put my two cents in as well. I own a Sea&Sea DX-1G that I enjoy a lot. It takes great pics above water and under the water. The camera has a 24-72mm lens that allows for wide angle shots that most lenses in point and shoot cameras are capable of. I used it on a trip to Egypt and the Red Sea last year and I was very pleased with the above water photos of our visit to Cairo (really an amazing trip by the way). The newer DX-2G also has this same lens. The camera is very compact under water and has available several wet lenses that you can use (a wide angle lens that give you 16mm view as well as a close-up lens). These are "wet" lenses because they can be changed under water. The camera can be used in a point and shoot mode but also in a manual mode. Pictures can also be shot in either a jpeg or a raw format. If you click on the "photo" link on the left you can see some of my pictures taken with this camera.

Regards,

Bill

I'll second the recommendation for the Lumix. I have 2 Lumix point and shoots and they are great. I just got the housing for my FX33 and it works really well underwater. Has a Leica lens and shoots 720 video. I'd buy the Lumix ZS3 or a Canon G11 if I wanted a new camera now.

Hi all, I have decided not to wait for santa. I am now the proud owner of a lumix tz7 /ts3 and housing. Not really had much chance to test out the camera, less the housing. However, as I am off to the philippines in just over 1 week I will have a v good excuse! I'll make sure I put up a report and pix etc when I get a chance!

Cheers!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom