Question Basic questions regarding EM-1 mkii/OM-1 with zoom as snorkeling camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Trilobite

Trilobite

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I can't dive due to sinus issues, but am becoming an enthusiastic snorkeler. I've used the EM-1 cameras for seven years for bird and insect macro photography, but have only used the TG-4 underwater (liked it and got some good results, but looking for something more capable). So I am something of a newbie with respect to underwater photography, but I'm thinking it would be preferable to use a camera that I am already experienced with above water. I had some basic questions about using the Olympus interchangeable lens cameras underwater.

1. I want to use a single zoom lens, hopefully around 100 mm equivalent zoom. Are there cases that accommodate zoom lenses and make it easy to zoom in and out?

2. Obviously, it is hard to swim with a camera in your hand. What are the popular ways for stowing the camera in a case so you can swim?

3. Alternatives I'm considering are high-end compacts with 1 inch 20 megapixel sensors, e.g. the Canon GX 7 ii/iii or the Panasonic LX 10 (I already own the latter). Any thoughts on how these would compare to the Olympus in terms of ease of use (I already know how the image quality compares above water)?

4. Any recommendations as to lens or case? Any decent cases that accomodate both the OM-1 and the EM-1 mkii? (I currently have two of the latter, but would be hesitant to buy a case for the mkii if it doesn't fit the OM-1.)

5. Any recommendations as to accessories such as simple strobes, etc. (obviously, for snorkeling strobes are less critical than when diving).

Thanks for any help,
Jim

Philosopher, are they proposing the 14-42 EZ, which does not have the macro switch that Boltsnap references? I suspect they are . . . either way, you might consider adding the Olympus 30mm f/3.5 macro, which AOI specs for the same port as the EZ. You would need to make an election for an entire dive, but having true macro available is compatible with your experience, and the 30 is short enough that it serves pretty well as a "normal" lens. The 30 macro runs about $200(!) used/excellent.

I wouldn't advise buying lots of lenses when starting. Too many things to deal with when you are a "beginner," one or two are enough to start with.

I asked if there were less expensive alternatives to the pro and they said no– but not sure I believe that.
They don't appear to stock the UWL-09F anymore, but others do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom