Underwater Photography Gear (Beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

sea.diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there! I am new to diving (got my certification in Thailand a couple months ago and am now doing more diving in the Philippines) and looking to get into underwater photography. I have a Nikon DSLR 3500 that I use already but I’m not ready to spend several thousand on a housing for it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something a bit more budget friendly that I can use and develop my skills with for a few years before I’m ready to fully invest into getting a housing for my Nikon. Any suggestions are helpful!

When I started diving 30 years ago I did what many divers were doing then and bought into the Nikonos system of film cameras. They served me well for the time and place, but now in the Digital Age (not to mention my advanced age) I find that a SeaLife Micro 3.0 bare or with a minimal video light does the job perfectly for me. It has several advantages including small size, sealed body (no flooding), relatively low price, etc. I’m no longer as serious about UW photography as I once was, but this would have accomplished a lot of what I ever did with much more complicated and expensive film cameras.
🐸

Attachments

• BF794FA1-E1B2-4031-82AA-7CBFD7C00E59.jpeg
    BF794FA1-E1B2-4031-82AA-7CBFD7C00E59.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 29
All new divers are not spastics underwater. Some actually have quite a bit of water experience before ever becoming a "new diver". Rescue Swimmers, Life Guards, Snorkelers, Surfers, etc. are all water pros but could be new divers. Do an honest evaluation of yourself. If you think you're stable enough underwater and have your buoyancy adjusted well, go for it!

I would suggest to get a simple digital camera to start with. I have two Olypmpus's that I haul around. One has has all kinds of bells and whistles but the other one is simple. It's a c-765. You can pick up a used one with an Ike-lite case for under a hundred bucks. Put a tether on it so you can just "dump it" if you have a problem without loosing the camera,. Mount a slave flash on top and have fun.

Stick with a GoPro for a while and get used to taking some stills and getting the composition right then look at something like the TG5/6/7 buy second hand initially and perhaps find a photographer who can mentor you to give suitable advice not only on your photos but dive technique.

I've spent a fortune on photographic gear on Nikonos II/III plus several Nikon SLR/DSLRs and housings, not to mention strobes over the past 30+ years. Be prepared to spend lots of money.

I have been told that my buoyancy control is excellent given my experience level by multiple dives masters...
Congrats!
Did you pay the dive masters?

Keep in mind that dive masters work for money, and they're inclined to tell their clients how great they are doing to keep their customers happy and motivated -- regardless of how well or poorly they are really doing.

I'm not saying that this applies to you and your dive masters, but it's something to keep in mind as you assess your true progress and capabilities.

Do you look behind you a lot to check whether or not you've created a mess behind you? I've seen so many new "photographers" cluelessly trashing the reef that I'm a bit cynical. And yes, I do have friendly conversations with these reef crashers after the dive. Maybe even show them some video of themselves. And sometimes I intervene in the water.

Continuing the actual topic of this thread... I went “on the cheap” and used the medium sized (36 LED) Suptig video light while my dive buddy is using the SeaLife Dragon light. The difference is striking. I’m still not convinced the additional cost ($30 vs $550) is justified, but as previously stated, the difference in performance is striking. To make things clear, the rig with Dragon Light is not that much larger, and comes with a flex arm for handy aiming.
🐸

Nice work, PfcAJ. What kind of close up/macro attachment did you use on the last two?
I don’t want to risk my iPhone in a UW case, and always trade in the old ones for current. Using a housed iPhone is therefore not an option for me.
🐸

Nice work, PfcAJ. What kind of close up/macro attachment did you use on the last two?
I don’t want to risk my iPhone in a UW case, and always trade in the old ones for current. Using a housed iPhone is therefore not an option for me.
🐸
Backscatter flip 10 and 15 lenses.

That is absolutely amazing. I used to lug around a Canon T2i in an ikelite housing with two strobes and two video lights ($$$$) and couldn't get results that good.

For a few years now I have been a hard-core TG-tough camera user. I had a TG-4 and while using it in a pool to get pics of a dive class the power button leaked. it was under warranty and was replaced from Olympus with a TG-6. I have used it for about 3 years now. Was really happy with it. recently while filming a discovery scuba class I had bubbles coming out of several O-ring points. Since it is out of warranty, I am thinking Sealife Micro 3.0 as it is a sealed unit. With it I could still use my current tray and lights. Hopefully the Micro will last longer that the tough series appears too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom