Underwater Photography Gear (Beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

sea.diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there! I am new to diving (got my certification in Thailand a couple months ago and am now doing more diving in the Philippines) and looking to get into underwater photography. I have a Nikon DSLR 3500 that I use already but I’m not ready to spend several thousand on a housing for it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something a bit more budget friendly that I can use and develop my skills with for a few years before I’m ready to fully invest into getting a housing for my Nikon. Any suggestions are helpful!

An Olympus TG6/TG7 in a housing is perfect for this; focus on getting your buoyancy and diving skills down, and the Olympus will keep you occupied for several years. You’ll know when you’ve outgrown it, and are limited by your camera (rather than your diving or photography skills).

I also can’t recommend enough “The Underwater Photographer” by Martin Edge! He really emphasizes that the first step to being an outstanding underwater photographer is being an outstanding diver…

Some sample TG6 images attached…

P2100151.jpeg
P1040028.jpeg
PB080109-Enhanced-NR.jpeg
P1010200.jpeg
P1220525-Enhanced-NR.jpeg

I would also recommend the TG series cameras, they take excellent macro and good portraits at 3-5 feet from subject under almost all conditions. As Rilelen's shots show you can also get great wide angle large subject shots with sufficient practice, skills, and favorable conditions. You can get nice results down to 40' without the housing, and as an added benefit if your housing leaks at depth the camera will most likely be fine. You can probably pick up a used TG-5 with housing for under $400. A good strobe will cost more than that but you can keep that for your next rig.

Check out the TG Photos thread for lots of good examples images.

For a few years now I have been a hard-core TG-tough camera user. I had a TG-4 and while using it in a pool to get pics of a dive class the power button leaked. it was under warranty and was replaced from Olympus with a TG-6. I have used it for about 3 years now. Was really happy with it. recently while filming a discovery scuba class I had bubbles coming out of several O-ring points. Since it is out of warranty, I am thinking Sealife Micro 3.0 as it is a sealed unit. With it I could still use my current tray and lights. Hopefully the Micro will last longer that the tough series appears too.
I’ve really fallen in love with my SeaLife Micro 3.0! As you say it is sealed and requires no servicing except churching and downloading the images, both through the same port.

I’d hate to say how much I spent on Nikonos gear and accessories, but now that I’ve “gone digital” my pictures are just as good or better with a lot less hassle. I’m a believer.

🐸

Your Nikon D3500 is a pretty decent camera. So I am thinking that you are looking at something that takes good stills.

As stated by others, underwater photography is not for the neophyte. Good buoyancy control is critical. For good shots, you need to be in the right spot.

Also you can get task loaded. That is your brain gets absorbed in photography and forgets things like breathing, deco, depth, where your buddy is and on and on. You need to be pretty dialed in on diving.

Also underwater photography is challenging. Long range tends to be 5’. So you have to get close to things. Also you lose color as you go down. At about 70’, everything is green or blue. If you want “natural collars”, you need a light source. That means a powerful video light for video or a strobe for stills or better off 2 for better coverage. And then there is stuff in the water causing backscatter.

And there is expense. Underwater photography is expensive.

To get more education, you can go to the Backscatter web site and they have videos, reviews and a wide range of products so you can get an idea of what is out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom