Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, talk about a thread killer...we haven't even got to the point where we spend the next 150 posts arguing about how to attach the boltsnap...or what size boltsnap...or if it should be brass or SS...or....????
:D

And after this topic they were surprised how come that my thread about the SPG attachment has generated 90+ posts :)

...we haven't even got to the point where we spend the next 150 posts arguing about how to attach the boltsnap...or what size boltsnap...or if it should be brass or SS...or....????

"Is this the right room for an argument?"

When I perform the drill prior to descending on every dive, I ensure that I haven't done something bone-headed like put the backup reg on over the long hose and thus trap it around my neck. I make sure the backup reg is around my neck and not dangling. I unship the entire hose and make sure it isn't fouled in some other bone-headed way.

Yep, I've caught all of those "moves" myself during pre-dive check. But similar checks should be performed with any system.

Henrik

It's like practicing tying your shoes.

I'm willing to bet that you did not do that successfully the first time. Through repetition it became second nature, exactly the thing that practising skills is intended to do. When your buddy needs it is not the time to find out that things don't work as smooth in real life as they do in your mind.

I'm willing to bet that you did not do that successfully the first time. Through repetition it became second nature, exactly the thing that practising skills is intended to do. When your buddy needs it is not the time to find out that things don't work as smooth in real life as they do in your mind.

Exactly!

The reason that you NO LONGER have to practice tying your shoes (keep in mind: at one point early-on in your shoe-tying career you DID!) is that you've done it so often AND CONTINUE TO DO IT that it is second nature. You don't even think about it, it's a spinal-cord level skill that relies on muscle memory more than conscious thought. If your house caught fire and you needed to put your shoes on to get out and save your life, you'd have no problem.

In any facet of life - not just diving - there's two different approaches to learning and practicing any skill:

1. To become "capable" you need to practice a skill until you CAN do it right
  2. To become "proficient" you need to practice it until you CAN'T do it wrong

There's a reason that Derek Jeter spends a couple of hours in practice every day simply fielding ground balls and throwing to first base, and it's certainly not that it's a difficult task or that he has a skill deficiency in that area.

:eyebrow:

They certainly are the norm among the people I dive with. I hate diving without my primary and currently my diving has mostly been in open water wrecks. No overhead yet.

In the Keys, where the OP is going to dive, depths rarely exceed 60 feet, people get sunburned in 15 feet of water. A can light would be ridiculous.:rofl3:

Sixteen pages into a post by an OP who wanted to do a shallow dive in the Keys we learn that in order to "Do It Right" he must have:

A long hose
A dry suit
A can light
Doubles
Have a "team"
The proper bolt snaps with cave string
"Gas" instead of air
A BP/wing
Fungies

We have been through all of this before, this thread is typical of why the vocal minority on scubaboard represent only about 2% of the larger diving population.

OK then, y'all are on something, you guys are not all wearing new tennis shoes and chanting are you? Have a quarter in your pocket for a phone call to the mother ship do you?

An insta-buddy I met on the boat, he is doing everything wrong obviously, he showed up in shorts and cowboy boots, was a ton of fun. This is Keys diving such as the OP was interested in:

IMG_1483.jpg

Well, y'all have fun arguing about bolt snaps and can lights. :idk:

N:shakehead:

And you sir are the most clueless. :shakehead:

You see, it is like this, not really interested in what you think, I think you have shown your true colors. :no:

Put down the Kool Aid, return to the light:

IMG_1603_edited-1.jpg

N

I'm not defending anything and I'm also not name calling. You can believe whatever you like you aren't my dive buddy. I'm just replying to what you've posted. If that's truely what you think of DIR and you aren't just stirring the pot you are by far the most clueless person in this thread.

In the Keys, where the OP is going to dive, depths rarely exceed 60 feet, people get sunburned in 15 feet of water. A can light would be ridiculous.:rofl3:

Sixteen pages into a post by an OP who wanted to do a shallow dive in the Keys we learn that in order to "Do It Right" he must have:

A long hose
A dry suit
A can light
Doubles
Have a "team"
The proper bolt snaps with cave string
"Gas" instead of air
A BP/wing
Fungies

We have been through all of this before, this thread is typical of why the vocal minority on scubaboard represent only about 2% of the larger diving population.

OK then, y'all are on something, you guys are not all wearing new tennis shoes and chanting are you? Have a quarter in your pocket for a phone call to the mother ship do you?

An insta-buddy I met on the boat, he is doing everything wrong obviously, he showed up in shorts and cowboy boots, was a ton of fun. This is Keys diving such as the OP was interested in:

IMG_1483.jpg

Well, y'all have fun arguing about bolt snaps and can lights. :idk:

N:shakehead:

Dude ... seriously ... I think you're the only one in this thread who's attempting to argue about anything.

Having fun yet ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom