Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, a solution to a non existent problem is an increase in complexity. This is further proven by the accepted need to practice S drills, deployment, regulator switching by advocates of this cave system. It's application to open water diving is possibly a misapplication as the conventional octopus or Air II systems accomplish the same thing (air sharing) with fewer pieces of equipment and a lower requirement for continued practice/drills.

N

Nemrod;

I think it would be reasonable to expect the same amount of practicing and attention to detail no matter which hose/back-up/octo configuration one chooses.

One issue with any configuration, other than hose length, might be the neglect and indifference some (please note emphasis on *some*) divers show towards their setup and the necessary skills/techniques for using it.

True story from my short diving history: I was buddied up with a diver on my last vacation. I'm diving with a long hose, so I discussed this with her and told her she would get my primary in case she needed air. I looked at her setup as well, she was diving a safe-second type rig on her inflator hose, so I said something along the lines of "oh, I see you'll be donating your primary as well". Her reply: "oh, really? Well, yes, I guess the inflator hose is too short for you to breathe off of". I was happy it was a shallow reef dive ...

I personally don't care one bit what other people choose to dive, as long as they are vigilant about the maintenance and skills required for their choice.

Henrik

the conventional octopus or Air II systems accomplish the same thing (air sharing) with fewer pieces of equipment and a lower requirement for continued practice/drills.

I don't think it's anything unique about the long hose that requires practice/drills. I think it's that people who dive the long hose are generally people who are THINKING about being ready for emergencies, and thus they practice.

This is just a general observation and not a reply to any particular post.

I find it interesting that in a discussion like this there is an assumption that an OOA diver will be so panicked that he or she will still be out of control after receiving the donor's primary and will thus require a vise-like grip from the donor to achieve a safe level of sanity. Many times these same people, when involved in a thread on buddy breathing, will argue that buddy breathing is perfectly safe because the OOA diver will retain full composure and thus be able to execute all the skills involved in buddy breathing calmly.

I guess out of air divers freak out when they see that another diver is donating a regulator on a long hose but calm down immediately when they see the donor does not even have an alternate air source.

Why does the rejection or non acceptance of the long hose air sharing system by the majority of agencies and divers cause so much consternation and near religious proselytizing among the proponents?

Why would hoses receive different consideration than anything else? :D

This is just a general observation and not a reply to any particular post.

I find it interesting that in a discussion like this there is an assumption that an OOA diver will be so panicked that he or she will still be out of control after receiving the donor's primary and will thus require a vise-like grip from the donor to achieve a safe level of sanity. Many times these same people, when involved in a thread on buddy breathing, will argue that buddy breathing is perfectly safe because the OOA diver will retain full composure and thus be able to execute all the skills involved in buddy breathing calmly.

I guess out of air divers freak out when they see that another diver is donating a regulator on a long hose but calm down immediately when they see the donor does not even have an alternate air source.

I don't think that those who advocate the continued inclusion of rather basic water comfort skills (like being able to swim, doff and don, buddy breathing, breath hold surface diving, mask clearing, breathing underwater without a mask, breath control etc) in SCUBA instruction are necessarily promoting the replacement of accepted air sharing methods and equipment with a skill intensive one such as buddy breathing. I think you are taking one argument and turning it to another.

Well, I suppose the OP had his question answered and know he knows, what is up with the long hose thing. :shakehead:

N

That is an excellent photo, great exposure but it does not portray a real OOA situation with a panicked diver loose on the end of a seven foot string.

N

Of course ... it's much preferable to have that same panicked diver within arm's reach ... where he can kick you in the nuts and rip the mask off your face ... :shocked2:

Every potential configuration is gonna have it's advantages and drawbacks ... what we all need to do is go with the advantages that appeal the most to us, and the drawbacks that we figure we can live with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

7 is meant to allow you to share air single file while swimming in a horizontal position. In a non-overhead environment, there's nothing forcing you to do that.

Hm.. how about OOG situation single file with a nice hot chick as a buddy :D

I would even swap my long hose with her rec setup :)

Hm.. how about OOG situation single file with a nice hot chick as a buddy :D

... in that case she's getting my necklace ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom