Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod, I really like this new hose. I saw one bad review on them and the guy that gave the review show pictures of the end swages, and they looked like s**t. So I was kind of hesitant, but bought one anyway. The one I got looks fine. It appears to be swaged well, and it holds pressure fine. It has a nice nylon braid on the outside, but I don't know what the core is made of. Maybe teflon.
If it blows apart down in Key Largo, I'll definately let you know. (Maybe I should take some vice grips just in case...)

What I can't figure out, is why there is a 1/2" port in the first stage in the first place. Is there some low pressure device requiring a 1/2" port and a super stiff hose that I don't know about?

Marketing. The manufacturer would like you to believe that the port size is a significant limiting factor in gas delivery to the 2nd stage.

Marketing. The manufacturer would like you to believe that the port size is a significant limiting factor in gas delivery to the 2nd stage.

Yup ... Apeks made the same blunder (to my concern) ... and those 1/2" ports prove to be more of a detriment than a benefit (again, to my concern) because they require either a special hose or an adapter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Whats the meaning of OOA?

:D

I was thinking about this, and it seems to me that if someone came up to me OOA and panicking, I'd want to hold him/her as close to me as possible in order to maintain good eye contact with him in an effort to calm him down instead of dragging me to the surface with his teeth clamped onto my reg and kicking me in the face.
Why the long hose?
I mean, I can maybe see the logic if you're penetrating wrecks with narrow passage ways, but out in open water?

True, I may not NEED 90 degree fittings, but it's a streamling thing.

ADDING gear is rarely a "streamlining" thing.

:eyebrow:

Using a long hose in an open water situation is dangerous and unnecessary.

Yeah, look at these two, who are clearly at risk of imminent death!

airshare-sm.jpg

ADDING gear is rarely a "streamlining" thing.

:eyebrow:

In this case it is. As much so a adding several feet of extra hose.

Following this logic, the long hose is a solution to the need for single file exit from a cave system etc. This is not the case in open water diving as the OP asked about, the long hose in this case represents additional gear and complexity for a non existent problem. Again, a solution to a non existent problem is an increase in complexity. This is further proven by the accepted need to practice S drills, deployment, regulator switching by advocates of this cave system. It's application to open water diving is possibly a misapplication as the conventional octopus or Air II systems accomplish the same thing (air sharing) with fewer pieces of equipment and a lower requirement for continued practice/drills.

N

Last edited:
Yeah, look at these two, who are clearly at risk of imminent death!

airshare-sm.jpg

That is an excellent photo, great exposure but it does not portray a real OOA situation with a panicked diver loose on the end of a seven foot string.

Why does the rejection or non acceptance of the long hose air sharing system by the majority of agencies and divers cause so much consternation and near religious proselytizing among the proponents? Just accept that some divers, most divers, don't agree with this approach or see the need. People should not take it personal if their way is not chosen by other divers.
N

Last edited:
Canister lights are not often used outside of an overhead environment.

They certainly are the norm among the people I dive with. I hate diving without my primary and currently my diving has mostly been in open water wrecks. No overhead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom