Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your familiarity with the proper use of a long hose does not make it easy-peasy lemon-squeezy for the average recreational diver.

I feel very strongly about this, from personal experience. Anyone who adopts a long-hose + bungee backup but does not also learn how to properly don it or perform a mod-S before every dive is in danger of discovering significant complications during an actual air-share. It only takes a few minutes of explanation and practice, but the long hose isn't a fire-and-forget mod.

b. Come here and dive without a can light -- then with one. EVERYONE I know who dives locally without one, and has the opportunity to dive with one, gets light envy and many succumb. It isn't just the overhead environment that is dark!

Let's not overstate the case.:D

All this back and forth and no one (even Instructors) have mentioned another of the most obvious benefits of the long hose; it makes you more streamlined.

Contrary to the silliness posted by those who have clearly NEVER used a long hose, one of real neat advantages is that is REMOVES the hazard of having 6 to 8 inches of primary hose loop sticking out over your right shoulder while you swim. With the LH you have nothing protruding outside of your shoulders and therefore are more streamlined and SAFER! Wow, how much would you pay now? But wait there's more...

I agree with your comments about there being nothing wrong with a long hose however the benefits listed above are possible without going to 5 or 7 foot hose.

Route the standard octo length hose under your arm (right angle or swivel fitting) and use it as a primary with a 22' hose bungeed necklace for backup and it does the same thing.

Route the standard octo length hose under your arm (right angle or swivel fitting) and use it as a primary with a 22' hose bungeed necklace for backup and it does the same thing.

I'd personally try a *slightly* shorter hose for the necklace. Just me, though. :wink:

After this I now know why I prefer to dive solo, all I need is two hoses, one inhalation and one exhalation, both short.

I'd personally try a *slightly* shorter hose for the necklace. Just me, though. :wink:

Well, I can handle a 22 foot bungeed necklace but you're right...for the average person a 22 inch hose is probably better.:D

Well, I can handle a 22 foot bungeed necklace but you're right...for the average person a 22 inch hose is probably better.:D

I'm not sure I could afford it !!! :coffee:

I dove Bonne terre several times in my first diving days. On at least 2 occassions the dives were fairly long and I got low on air. Rather than surfacing and swimming a long distance to the dock I breathed off the DM's long hose and was able to finish the dive with the group. The long hose was a very nice convenience, especially since my buoyancy was not just great back then. I have since improved my skills and switched to the BP/W and long hose with bungied necklace octo. I am sold on it.

After this I now know why I prefer to dive solo, all I need is two hoses, one inhalation and one exhalation, both short.

Amen brother. :D

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom