Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a rec diver and use a 5' hose. It has the advantages of the whole system without having to tuck 2 extra feet.
Others have mentioned it but I would reiterate that there are two main advantages to the longhose set up

1. More length in case of donation
2. The back up is always right under your chin.

For me the second advantage pays far more dividends. I like the fact that my backup is always where it is supposed to be.
I don't do S drills with others often but always do a modified one as part of my final check. I donate the reg to an imaginary friend to ensure it deploys as it should and is not trapped somehow.

I know this is heretical but you can bungee a standard octopus around your neck and always know where it is also. :idk: To donate it you simply pull it free from the "fisherman" knot and hand it to the OOA diver while never missing a breath on your own second stage. The octo in this case would be under the left arm, on a 36-40 inch hose.

Here my tiny wife demonstrates this revolutionary concept:

IMG_0886.jpg

I have since replaced her "Manta" necklace with a simple bungee necklace and fisherman's knot. I have also installed a shorter hose on her Legend primary and a shorter hose on her BC. Little people sometimes have to do a little more custom fitting of things not so apparent when you grab the junk from the store shelf.

N

I know this is heretical but you can bungee a standard octopus around your neck and always know where it is also. :idk: To donate it you simply pull it free from the "fisherman" knot and hand it to the OOA diver while never missing a breath on your own second stage. The octo in this case would be under the left arm, on a 36-40 inch hose.

Here my tiny wife demonstrates this revolutionary concept:

I have since replaced her "Manta" necklace with a simple bungee necklace and fisherman's knot.

N

If she breathed the primary and stuck that secondary on a shorter hose, she wouldn't have that overly large loop sticking out the side of her head, plus she'd gain the benefit of donating the reg she's breathing (assured working regulator, it's the reg that might be "taken" by the OOG diver anyway, etc). When I first started diving that's what I did: bungeed backup on a 22" hose, primary on a 40" hose routed under my right arm.

If she breathed the primary and stuck that secondary on a shorter hose, she wouldn't have that overly large loop sticking out the side of her head, plus she'd gain the benefit of donating the reg she's breathing (assured working regulator, it's the reg that might be "taken" by the OOG diver anyway, etc). When I first started diving that's what I did: bungeed backup on a 22" hose, primary on a 40" hose routed under my right arm.

Thank you, the hose is incorrect for her x-small size, as I mentioned in my post, I have since given her a 24 inch hose instead of the 30 inch one on her rig in the picture. I had borrowed her regulator and according to her "s----d" it up. I forgot to return her regulator to "her" requirements. She does not have an "overly" large loop now and she is breathing her primary in the picture, she donates the octopus like the vast majority of the SCUBA world. Her Legend regulator set, like most regulator sets, came with the octo as did my Titan LX, in both cases free (AL promotion). Apparently AL feels it is a good set up, so does Scuba Pro and most other manufactures.

But, thanks for the pointer, you are correct, the hose is too long in the picture and has been corrected. :)
N

Apparently AL feels it is a good set up, so does Scuba Pro and most other manufactures.

In anything the retailer thinks it's a good setup.

As far as I can tell, factory promotions aside, the manufacturers never seem to couple anything but a first and (single) second stage. Without any exception I'm able to find, the octo second stage is always displayed separately.

Regulator Systems - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
Aqua Lung Regulator Range
Apeks Regulator Range
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Regulators
Oceanic Worldwide - Review and Compare Scuba Diving Regulator Packages for Air or Nitrox with DVT - Dry Valve Technology
XS Scuba Regulators

DCBC -- with your experience I really can't believe you wrote two things:

a. How do you control how much length is donated; and

b. Unless in an overhead, what do you need a can light for.

a. If a 7 foot hose, it is "trapped" under the can light or cutting implement holster and the original donated length is about 40 inches -- similar to normal Octo. If a 5 foot hose, then routed under right arm (if you are an amputee.....) and again, first donation length is about 36 inches. It is ONLY after the recipient is settled is any remaining length deployed -- if then. In other words, you have choices which I believe are good, not bad.

b. Come here and dive without a can light -- then with one. EVERYONE I know who dives locally without one, and has the opportunity to dive with one, gets light envy and many succumb. It isn't just the overhead environment that is dark!

I like the long hose because it, along with my BPW and black mask, make me look like a badass mamajama.

In anything the retailer thinks it's a good setup.

As far as I can tell, factory promotions aside, the manufacturers never seem to couple anything but a first and (single) second stage. Without any exception I'm able to find, the octo second stage is always displayed separately.

Regulator Systems - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
Aqua Lung Regulator Range
Apeks Regulator Range
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Regulators
Oceanic Worldwide - Review and Compare Scuba Diving Regulator Packages for Air or Nitrox with DVT - Dry Valve Technology
XS Scuba Regulators

Well, you may be right :wink:, but in the promotion, they came with a free octo and that must be because the vast, vast majority of the SCUBA world and almost all instructors and dive instruction agencies teach----breath the primary on a short hose and donate the octopus (seconday) on a somewhat longer hose.

Even if the sets are not sold together outside of a promotion, dive shop or manufacturer, it is obvious the manufacturer intended such usage as the reason they make those cute yellow matching second stages. :cool2: Oh, and most rental units are rigged this way as well, it is pretty universal outside of Scubaboard.

Will this thread become longer than the "Secret DIR" or the "Blue Sparkle Plate vs BC", that is the question? These hose vs hose and BP vs BC threads get serious don't they, especially when they involve secret equipment we mere neophytes cannot conceptualize. :coffee:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleEnvoyDlxRegulatorPackage

N

Thank you, the hose is incorrect for her x-small size, as I mentioned in my post, I have since given her a 24 inch hose instead of the 30 inch one on her rig in the picture. I had borrowed her regulator and according to her "s----d" it up. I forgot to return her regulator to "her" requirements. She does not have an "overly" large loop now and she is breathing her primary in the picture, she donates the octopus like the vast majority of the SCUBA world. Her Legend regulator set, like most regulator sets, came with the octo as did my Titan LX, in both cases free (AL promotion). Apparently AL feels it is a good set up, so does Scuba Pro and most other manufactures.

But, thanks for the pointer, you are correct, the hose is too long in the picture and has been corrected. :)
N

Am I reading this right??? She's diving with a standard length primary hose (30"?? 36"??) and a 24" octo....and she's donating the 24" octo???

Edit: Hopefully I did read it wrong, and you were saying that you gave her a 24" primary....and left the longer hose on the octo bungeed under her chin (which I still don't get....but whatever).

I guess I'm just glad that my buddies all donate the longer of their two hoses, most of whom donate 7' hoses, if needed. Granted, we haven't needed it ever, but it's sure nice to know it's available if it's ever called for.

Well, you may be right :wink:, but in the promotion, they came with a free octo and that must be because the vast, vast majority of the SCUBA world and almost all instructors and dive instruction agencies teach----breath the primary on a short hose and donate the octopus (seconday) on a somewhat longer hose.

Even if the sets are not sold together outside of a promotion, dive shop or manufacturer, it is obvious the manufacturer intended such usage as the reason they make those cute yellow matching second stages. :cool2: Oh, and most rental units are rigged this way as well, it is pretty universal outside of Scubaboard.

Will this thread become longer than the "Secret DIR" or the "Blue Sparkle Plate vs BC", that is the question? These hose vs hose and BP vs BC threads get serious don't they, especially when they involve secret equipment we mere neophytes cannot conceptualize. :coffee:

Zeagle Envoy Deluxe Regulator Package reviews and discounts, Zeagle

N

Yup, they're certainly often packaged that way.

My first regulator was. Since then I've always just bought a first and second (either to set up doubles or for bottles).

Am I reading this right??? She's diving with a standard length primary hose (30"?? 36"??) and a 24" octo....and she's donating the 24" octo???

Edit: Hopefully I did read it wrong, and you were saying that you gave her a 24" primary....and left the longer hose on the octo bungeed under her chin (which I still don't get....but whatever).

I guess I'm just glad that my buddies all donate the longer of their two hoses, most of whom donate 7' hoses, if needed. Granted, we haven't needed it ever, but it's sure nice to know it's available if it's ever called for.

Yep, you read it wrong.

Let us go over this again, there are essentially three different rigs used for single tank diving (single tank):

1. Hog, breath the long hose, donate the long hose (40 inches, 60 inches, 84 inches), bungee the short hose (approx 24 inches or so) secondary.

2. Conventional, used by the majority of the diving world, breath the "primary" on a short hose (usually 24 to 26, sometimes 30 inches) over the shoulder, donate the long hose (36-40 inches) octopus.

3. Hybrid, breath and donate the long(er) hose primary and the donating diver goes to his/her AirII etc.

Obviously I am leaving out all the details on hose routing and what goes where, nonetheless these are the three basic rigging systems, everything else falls in place one you choose one of the three methods. My wife and I use number (2). Number 2 and 3 are the most widely used, if I had to hazard a guess close to nearly 100%, in the sport diving world. Though, lately, I do see more tech influenced rigs and Hog rigs used for sport diving.

Of course there are other single rigs:

4. Vintage or double hose primary, don't need not stink'n BC or any hoses but if so then the octopus is on a 40 inch hose under the right arm.

5. Minimalist, no secondary and probably no BC.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom