Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nobody says you have to deploy the entire hose though
:p

Is your longer hose on your primary or secondary? I'm assuming you donate the longer hose. What level of control do you have to stop the entire hose from being deployed?

Yes, if I don't deploy the hose, it's not going anywhere. It's caught under the canister, and if pulled in the direction of the out of gas diver, it won't come out.

Seriously, once one has practiced just a little bit with a properly routed long hose, I can't see ANY disadvantages to it. When I was brand new with it, I was clumsy, and occasionally got it caught on things on the boat, but that hasn't happened in a long, long time.

Yes, if I don't deploy the hose, it's not going anywhere. It's caught under the canister, and if pulled in the direction of the out of gas diver, it won't come out.

Seriously, once one has practiced just a little bit with a properly routed long hose, I can't see ANY disadvantages to it. When I was brand new with it, I was clumsy, and occasionally got it caught on things on the boat, but that hasn't happened in a long, long time.

I guess I was trying to limit my answer to the basic scuba discussion thread and not to cave diving per se. Canister lights are not often used outside of an overhead environment. I do however understand your point and agree.

I am a recreational diver. Single tanks. One warm vacation a year, one or two freshwater wreck expeditions a year. I do not own a canister light yet. After renting for my first trip, I purchased a wing rather than a BCD for my second after reading about it being easier to achieve good trim with a wing (this may not be true, but I believed it!)

I used a standard setup but switched to a long hose after doing some more reading on places like SB. I got some instruction in its use. And now? I would not switch back even though my wreck diving is strictly "surveying" from the outside.

Far more experienced divers than I have commented on the facts here, I'm just sharing my perspective as a relative newbie (60-something dives). The long hose does require some practice. It does NOT require a $1,000 can light. It is easier to use with a wing and harness than a bulky BCD, but it will work either way. It is a joy to use in open water. I took my rescue diver course using it and boy, was it easier for me than for the short hose folks.

The short hose works, obviously. Use what you like. But the long hose works as well and it's quite convenient for an OW bumbler like me.

for what it's worth, routing it under a knife or scissors or pocket or whatever accomplishes the same thing.

Well, as mentioned before. I'm just goin to the Keys to look at the fishies. Don't plan on penetrating anything in the water. If I go as deep as the Duane or Bibb, it'll just be outside unless it's short swim throughs. The wife doesn't dive, so it'll be insta-buddies all the way, which is fine. We just have get acquainted with each other and do a good predive briefing and gear check. I've had insta-buddies before, and no one has complained about the length of my hose yet.

Jeff, I think your statement has the right intent, but is only partially correct. Certainly long hoses are important for overhead environments and are more convenient when sharing air (as long as your buddy maintains composure), If not a long hose may be counter-productive. If the hose is not properly stored, than can cause snagging and be a hazard around obstacles. I assume this is what you were getting at.

Wayne

... but the same can be said for an octopus that is left dangling (as many are) rather than properly stowed. Which do you see more frequently?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom