Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking about this, and it seems to me that if someone came up to me OOA and panicking, I'd want to hold him/her as close to me as possible in order to maintain good eye contact with him in an effort to calm him down instead of dragging me to the surface with his teeth clamped onto my reg and kicking me in the face.
Why the long hose?
I mean, I can maybe see the logic if you're penetrating wrecks with narrow passage ways, but out in open water?

You are absolutely correct. Long hoses are for one thing and one thing only, to get two divers out of an overhead environment in an OOA situation safely.

Period.

Using a long hose in an open water situation is dangerous and unnecessary.

Jeff

Still not quite clear on this.
Which hose is logistically superior for attempting the much coveted and highly exhalted Warhammer maneuver?

You are absolutely correct. Long hoses are for one thing and one thing only, to get two divers out of an overhead environment in an OOA situation safely.

Period.

Jeff

that's not true at all

Period.

Jeff

Wow ... I expect comments like that more from LDS owners who have never tried one and who don't sell 'em.

Seriously ... everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the "dangerous and unnecessary" stuff is just a bit over the top. They are nothing of the kind ... they're simply another option for those who feel the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To the OP another option is to use a 22 " hose with necklace as your backup and use the hose that was originally for the octo as your primary. I use a swivel (at least it's well made but a 90 degree fitting would work as well) for my primary and route it under the arm.

It keeps the hoses streamlined, retains the advantage of the necklace vs octo approach and I don't have 7 ' of hose to deal with.

I'm not in caves nor am I an instructor and I don't do s-drills at the start of every dive so if someone is really low or out of air we will be a little closer than with the 7 ' setup but I can live with that.

In my opinion anything is better than the octo setup.
Because I have an AIR2 that's what I did, 42" hose on my reg and routed under my arm ... It's much better than before.
I think that no matter what diving you do .. donating your primary makes more sense, and a longer hose on your primary is desirable even if you dont go all the way to 7'
Note: I will be getting rid of my AIR2 eventually and have another G250HP already for my backup ... I just think that's the way to go

Period.

Jeff

Jeff, I think your statement has the right intent, but is only partially correct. Certainly long hoses are important for overhead environments and are more convenient when sharing air (as long as your buddy maintains composure), If not a long hose may be counter-productive. If the hose is not properly stored, than can cause snagging and be a hazard around obstacles. I assume this is what you were getting at.

Wayne

I was thinking about this, and it seems to me that if someone came up to me OOA and panicking, I'd want to hold him/her as close to me as possible in order to maintain good eye contact with him in an effort to calm him down instead of dragging me to the surface with his teeth clamped onto my reg and kicking me in the face.
Why the long hose?
I mean, I can maybe see the logic if you're penetrating wrecks with narrow passage ways, but out in open water?

There are different schools of thought on this and the opinion that you are describing represent an old school perspective; which I agree with.

In open-water (assuming the hose is properly stored) a long hose has the advantage of providing the buddy pair with a bit more freedom of movement. It can however be counter-productive if the diver makes a run for the surface or freezes at depth. I experienced the latter with a shorter hose and an uncooperative diver (narcosis). The shorter hose kept him close enough to keep eye contact and allowed me to assist him to a safety diver (I had decompression obligations and was limited on gas).

In some overhead environments (such as some caves and wrecks) it's a requirement, but for an open-water diver it is a mixed-blessing.

There are different schools of thought on this and the opinion that you are describing represent an old school perspective; which I agree with.

In open-water (assuming the hose is properly stored) a long hose has the advantage of providing the buddy pair with a bit more freedom of movement. It can however be counter-productive if the diver makes a run for the surface or freezes at depth. I experienced the latter with a shorter hose and an uncooperative diver (narcosis). The shorter hose kept him close enough to keep eye contact and allowed me to assist him to a safety diver (I had decompression obligations and was limited on gas).

In some overhead environments (such as some caves and wrecks) it's a requirement, but for an open-water diver it is a mixed-blessing.

nobody says you have to deploy the entire hose though
:p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom