Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry that I disagree with the hard sell on DIR for sport diving, I do not believe that the long hose is necessarily a better concept for most open water sport diving. Yes it works, is it better than other methods for open water sport diving

"All lies and jests...still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

I think you're 180deg out of phase here...

No "DIR" people in this thread are saying that everyone MUST dive a long hose in all environments (though DIR folks choose to). Rather they are responding to the continually-proffered, vociferously-conveyed, yet wholly-unfounded suggestion that a long-hose is specifically and dangerously INAPPROPRIATE in some environments. (ie: relatively shallow, recreational open-water dives.)

But I do encourage you to resist the temptation to lump long hoses in with the more technical gear.

:cool2: As far as lumping things into tech, I guess I'm just an old fart. I still consider octos and bc's as "tech gear".:wink:

my votes go mostly with Nemrod. While all that stuff has a place and use, it is not for a tropic vacation dive. I have dove HOG set ups and do so in wrecks, but if I am not penetrating anything the costs far out weigh the benefits! all that weight and extra crap, what a hassle. while all you guys are on the boat mounting BC's and finding your octo or routing all your hoses and and playing with snaps; arguing which is better. I will be swimming after the tank I just threw overboard.
5580_252339010612_624525612_8538310_7337066_n.jpg

5580_252339000612_624525612_8538308_5507022_n.jpg

15838_179914912669_549737669_2965493_7040271_n.jpg

and yes that is a three wolf moon T-shirt

I have dove HOG set ups and do so in wrecks, but if I am not penetrating anything the costs far out weigh the benefits! all that weight and extra crap, what a hassle.

That's another frequently posited argument that I just don't get:

"all that weight" - from a buoyancy standpoint you need the same overall weighting to dive - whether that weight is comprised of gear or lead is immaterial - so there is no "extra" weight. If you mean "luggage weight" that's still an empty argument because the typical DIR/hog rig needn't weigh any more than a traditional recreational kit.

"extra crap, what a hassle" - I have one first stage reg with a 7' primary hose and a 24" alternate hose. I dive this one configuration wherever I dive. Apparently you either have four different hoses that you switch on/off a single reg, or you have two complete sets of regs and multiple sets of similar hoses that you mix and match to comprise a separate hog rig and a recreational rig. Either way, you have "more crap" and a "greater hassle" than I do. Additionally, your associated costs are therefore greater than mine.

:shocked2:

That's another frequently posited argument that I just don't get:

"all that weight" - from a buoyancy standpoint you need the same overall weighting to dive - whether that weight is comprised of gear or lead is immaterial - so there is no "extra" weight. If you mean "luggage weight" that's still an empty argument because the typical DIR/hog rig needn't weigh any more than a traditional recreational kit.

"extra crap, what a hassle" - I have one first stage reg with a 7' primary hose and a 24" alternate hose. I dive this one configuration wherever I dive. Apparently you either have four different hoses that you switch on/off a single reg, or you have two complete sets of regs and multiple sets of similar hoses that you mix and match to comprise a separate hog rig and a recreational rig. Either way, you have "more crap" and a "greater hassle" than I do. Additionally, your associated costs are therefore greater than mine.

:shocked2:

At least I'm not the only one that doesn't get it. I dove bonaire with a SS plate/26lb wing, regulator with 7' long hose (w/o a can light OMG) and 22" backup, and bottom timer. I fail to see where all the "hassle" is. No weight belt, bulky BC, etc. Not only that I packed all my gear into my carry-on. I did a few dives without a wetsuit and with nothing attached to me except for some 2" webbing it almost felt like I wasn't in scuba gear :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom