Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's another frequently posited argument that I just don't get:

"all that weight" - from a buoyancy standpoint you need the same overall weighting to dive - whether that weight is comprised of gear or lead is immaterial - so there is no "extra" weight. If you mean "luggage weight" that's still an empty argument because the typical DIR/hog rig needn't weigh any more than a traditional recreational kit.
yes, I meant luggage weight. Then why is my HOG bag 5 times the weight of my vacation bag? (bc with 17lbs of lift weighs <5lbs) (SS bpw with 35lb wing weighs >15lbs) and that is not including lead exposure suit or weight from long hoses and other stuff. I just went out and weighted my summertime Catalina/tropical rig (pictured). It is 39.2lbs including the steel 72 (31.8lbs), mask, etc. and swim trunks. since most the time it is my boat the swim trunks are optional to. my hog rig with doubles lead and dry suit, well it would not fit on the scale and when I put it on the scale read ERR. so it was more than 300 total - my 180 so that's over 120lbs... humm

"extra crap, what a hassle" - I have one first stage reg with a 7' primary hose and a 24" alternate hose. I dive this one configuration wherever I dive. Apparently you either have four different hoses that you switch on/off a single reg, or you have two complete sets of regs and multiple sets of similar hoses that you mix and match to comprise a separate hog rig and a recreational rig. Either way, you have "more crap" and a "greater hassle" than I do. Additionally, your associated costs are therefore greater than mine.
:shocked2:
associated cost greater maybe.... depends on if you go by value or actual $$$ spent. I bet you spent way more than me. (I am the craigslist sniper) As far as crap in the garage Yes, I have more than you. I have a tool for every job. a bpw, 2bc's, 4 different sets of regs (not including deco regs) a bunch of hoses that I rarely change because regs are already set up. jet fins, mares fins and duck flippers:) . dry suit, like 10 wet suites (i surf), swim suit, and a birth suit:mooner:. but all that is packed neatly in my garage. I take with me what I am going to use and leave the rest of the crap at home. And therefore have less hassle at the location than you, unless I am using my hog then we are equal.

At least I'm not the only one that doesn't get it. I dove bonaire with a SS plate/26lb wing, regulator with 7' long hose (w/o a can light OMG) and 22" backup, and bottom timer. I fail to see where all the "hassle" is. No weight belt, bulky BC, etc. Not only that I packed all my gear into my carry-on. I did a few dives without a wetsuit and with nothing attached to me except for some 2" webbing it almost felt like I wasn't in scuba gear :popcorn:

try leaving the bpw at home next time and diving a single 33" hose with no back up (not recommend for depths greater than CESA limits). side mount it with a 6 inch piece of cave line attached to a snap hooked to the waist of your swim trunks. Then you will feel naked!

yes, I meant luggage weight. Then why is my HOG bag 5 times the weight of my vacation bag? ... my hog rig with doubles lead and dry suit, well it would not fit on the scale and when I put it on the scale read ERR. so it was more than 300 total - my 180 so that's over 120lbs... humm

Wow, either way off topic or lurking under the troll bridge and just leapt out to scare the little children. Are you seriously unable to use a long hose without doubles and a dry suit? Obviously bag A weighs more than bag B because you put stuff in bag A that isn't in bag B. Now what in tarnation does that have to do with whether anyone can dive a long hose in tropical water?

This is the classic example of a strawman argument. You say "No way to a long hose in tropical water because of the weight" and then talk about the weight of a dry suit and doubles and S/S backplate and so forth. You are arguing with yourself!

I greatly respect your diving experience, but I am having trouble with the arguments you advance in this thread.

:popcorn:

Wow, either way off topic or lurking under the troll bridge and just leapt out to scare the little children. Are you seriously unable to use a long hose without doubles and a dry suit? Obviously bag A weighs more than bag B because you put stuff in bag A that isn't in bag B. Now what in tarnation does that have to do with whether anyone can dive a long hose in tropical water?

This is the classic example of a strawman argument. You say "No way to a long hose in tropical water because of the weight" and then talk about the weight of a dry suit and doubles and S/S backplate and so forth. You are arguing with yourself!

I greatly respect your diving experience, but I am having trouble with the arguments you advance in this thread.

:popcorn:

Thank you for saving me the effort. :laughing:

I am going for troll bridge. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: you can dive anywhere any way you want. I don't care.
Point taken. I have not encountered a situation that warrants a 7ft hose that does not warrant the other stuff. I am sure that there are warm caves and wrecks that do not warrant the dry suit and a bunch of lead.

my apologizes for going off topic.

short answer a 7ft primary IMHO is unneeded and just another feature with limited advantages, compared to the disadvantages for the OP style of diving.

a 7ft primary IMHO is unneeded and just another feature with limited advantages, compared to the disadvantages for the OP style of diving.

What are the disadvantages, In Your Honest Opinion?

(SS bpw with 35lb wing weighs >15lbs) and that is not including lead exposure suit or weight from long hoses and other stuff.

Jesus... how thick is your backplate? You sure it's stainless steel and not Osmium?

My steel BP and singles wing weighs in at significantly under 10# (closer to 7#).

What are the disadvantages, In Your Honest Opinion?

I know this question wasn't pointed at me, but I can tell you why a 7 ft hose is a disadvatage to me. And that is because I don't like to be wrapped 360 degrees by a hose. I don't see having hose wrapped around my body an advantage but a hazard for my particular diving environment. I have been pinned down on a reef in crashing surf on my back and had feather boa kelp wrap around the hose behind my head and pull the reg right out of my mouth under the force of a 6 foot wave. When I got to safety (with the aid of my buddy) The first thing I said was "Get this crap off me!!".
Another reason it doesn't work for me well is because I use a snorkel on shore dives to navigate over and through kelp beds. The reason I find it important to snorkel over sea weed on my belly is to avoid kelp and other weeds to wrap around my tank valve.
With a long hose it is difficult to deploy the reg with a snokel attached (but not impossible).
I have put much thought into a configuration more tuned to North Coast diving and have found that having nothing over the shoulders is the best, except for the LP inflator hose. I like the bugeed second and donating the first concept so I have modified the configuration to using two octo length hoses both run under my right arm, one bugeed, and the other as primary. The octo length still works fine for a buddy to use.

I also see too much hose in a donation scenario not necessarily a good thing in my environment. With limited vis, sometimes wild surge, and lots of kelp I would want my buddy very close to me with both of us hanging on to each other to keep from getting separated by crazy surge. I think that all the extra hose dangling around would just be looking for something to catch on or some feather boa kelp to get wrapped up in. So for these reasons I do not think a 7 foot long hose is a wise idea doing some of the dives I do and the area I dive in.
We do not have any caves or wrecks to dive in so that wouldn't be a reason to have the long hose configuration set up 100% of the time for all diving.

A 5 foot long hose might be an option but there still is the issue of stowage and not having the hose wrap around your body. Stuffing the extra hose into the waist strap would be one way to deal with the excess but then it's one more loop of hose that might be looking to get caught on something.

I can tell you why a 7 ft hose is a disadvatage to me. And that is because I don't like to be wrapped 360 degrees by a hose. I don't see having hose wrapped around my body an advantage but a hazard for my particular diving environment...

I regret that I have but one thanks to give (holds his head high and proud). Agree or disagree, this is the kind of constructive contribution that makes SB valuable. Thanks!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom