not sure now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wzap

New
Reaction score
have done the open water and have dove to around 30 feet twice while on vacation. after reading the accident reports and the dan list of incidents, do i really want to do this. diving was at the top of anything i have ever done and i learned my skills really well. my dm has told me to relax and dont read this because there are always other factors involved. please help before i give up. i am relaxed and confident when i dive but cant help to think something is going to go wrong

Did you really think there were no accidents in the sport?

I agree with your instructor, relax and go diving. Frequent diving is the best way to become and remain a safe and capable diver. As for his advice not to read about accidents and that there are always other factors involved I disagree. Diver error is a far greater cause than gear failure but both can happen. Consider that almost all of your certification drills were about incident recovery. You should be prepared for nearly anything that can happen as long as you stay within the bounds of your training, experience and comfort while diving with a buddy.

What you see for accident reports is a very small number compared to the number of divers and dives made.

While you're at it complete your profile so some locals can offer to dive with you and get you off to a good start.

Pete

Thats like reading the statistics on motor vehicle accidents and swearing to never enter a car again. Yes, things can happen. Sometimes they're within your control and sometimes they're not. If you let every statistic in the world scare you away from something you enjoy, you'd find yourself sitting in your house... or standing, cause sitting for too long can cause back problems. Statistics show that...... you get my point. If its something you enjoy and you do everything you can to keep it as safe as you can possibly control. There's no reason not to dive.

If you take your time, buddy-up, follow all procedures, and remain clam so IF something does happen you can and will handle it, there should be no worries. It is a sport to be enjoyed and can be enjoyed, the more you dive the more comfortable (not complacent) you will become and proficient.

Bah - everything in life carries risk. People get hurt playing golf. Just take it slow and don't get complacent, and you should be fine. Everything in life carries some risk, and if you liked the diving you have done, then you should know that it is worth it.

Heck, I don't even remember what life was like as a non-diver. It probably sucked.

-Nick

Everything carries risk, the odds of you having an accident while diving are actually pretty small as long as you follow everything you've been taught. And you don't get hammered the night before setting a personal deep diving redord(142') like i did:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarbee/980421745/in/photostream/

By the way, dive was great and life is wonderful. I chugged a couple bottles of water predive. Before anyone flames me, yes I know the risks of diving dehydrated/hungover.

follow the rules, and don't do anything stupid, and you'll be fine. can't live life scared.

Having recently certified, I, too, am fully aware of the risks involved. But I also understand that in any activity in life, there are some risk. I read the accidents and incidents, not to freak myself out and worry, but use it as a learning tool. There continues to be things to be learned.

You have power to control your doubts and fears, and certainly overcome it. Like others have suggested, continue to dive, its the only way to get comfortable underwater and confident with your skills. Stay in the shallows if you need to, still lots to see there. You have the skills to handle most situations at 30 feet. Practice what you were taught and work your way deeper. And diving with a buddy you trust and are confident with helps too.

Reading the accident reports always does that to me. Learn from the reports, someone paid dearly for those. Ask what you could have done if you were their buddy, there that day, or the victim. Find some good buddies, continue to learn, and practice your skills.

Back
Top Bottom