Not Feeling Well? New Hand signal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for comments

AGAIN, are about 200 agencies, organizations, federations, clubs, etc teach scuba worldwide, all have various hand signals

Now point forgotten is large number of books, popular books also "teach" scuba

No standardization in books either So many say concern standadized, when not!

When you understand why confusion then some here can have respectable conversation, till then no standardization, not possible to have common ground, understand this fact
It would help your cause if you gave some examples.

With all that wide, wide variety, you should have no trouble providing examples of agencies, federations, and books that teach the most common hand signals differently. I will list some of the most common hand signals taught by agencies that include PADI, SSI, SDI, and NAUI. All those agencies teach the following signals the same. Please give specific examples of agencies, federations, and books that teach them differently.
  1. OK (close by)
  2. OK (surface--from a distance)
  3. Not OK; something's wrong
  4. Go up; ascend
  5. Go down; descend
  6. Out of air
  7. Low on air
  8. Share air; buddy breathe
  9. Distress; need help (surface signal)

It would help your cause if you gave some examples.

With all that wide, wide variety, you should have no trouble providing examples of agencies, federations, and books that teach the most common hand signals differently. I will list some of the most common hand signals taught by agencies that include PADI, SSI, SDI, and NAUI. All those agencies teach the following signals the same. Please give specific examples of agencies, federations, and books that teach them differently.
  1. OK (close by)
  2. OK (surface--from a distance)
  3. Not OK; something's wrong
  4. Go up; ascend
  5. Go down; descend
  6. Out of air
  7. Low on air
  8. Share air; buddy breathe
  9. Distress; need help (surface signal)
From wrstc.com we have these signals, agreed to by the five member agencies and used by many others.

Attachments

• 12 - Common Hand Signals (2).pdf
    598.2 KB · Views: 90
From wrstc.com we have these signals, agreed to by the five member agencies and used by many others.
Except the list of member agencies has grown and now also includes IANTD, NAUI, RAID. PDIC SNSI, NASE, PSS, ACUC, and RSTC Japan.

I have the list of NACD and NSS-CDS signals on my desk right now, and they use the same signals, except, of course, the cave diving organizations don't use the surface signals a whole lot, and the have to do all signals with one hand because they have to shine a light on the signal.

That will make Chris Dee's job easier, since he doesn't have to check with any of those agencies to find all the ones that are teaching different hand signals and confusing everyone.

Always thought some-thing-wrong was holding a fist with thumb and little finger outstretched and waggling the hand 🤙

Why does this need a new hand signal to confuse everyone?

Worse still, your rotating signalling hand could catch on your snorkel and knock your mask off...
That's the Shaka, brah! If you put your hand out flat with your fingers spread and waggle it back and forth, that's "something's not quite right", like when someone asks you how the mediocre restaurant was, "ehhhh, not so great". If you point to what hurts and do that, it's pretty understandable.

That's the Shaka, brah! If you put your hand out flat with your fingers spread and waggle it back and forth, that's "something's not quite right", like when someone asks you how the mediocre restaurant was, "ehhhh, not so great". If you point to what hurts and do that, it's pretty understandable.
I don't know how I missed this earlier. billgraham is correct. Waggling the first with the thumb and pinky finger extended is absolutely NOT the signal that something is wrong. It isn't even a scuba signal, although it has become common in scuba. It actually means the OPPOSITE of something being wrong. You often see people giving it while being videotaped during a dive, meaning "things are cool." It is a signal that comes from the surfing culture.

I don't know how I missed this earlier. billgraham is correct. Waggling the first with the thumb and pinky finger extended is absolutely NOT the signal that something is wrong. It isn't even a scuba signal, although it has become common in scuba. It actually means the OPPOSITE of something being wrong. You often see people giving it while being videotaped during a dive, meaning "things are cool." It is a signal that comes from the surfing culture.

It's a breaking wave.

I'm dating myself with this one, but this is what I was trying to explain!
hand signals.jpg
hand signals not ok.jpg

I have seen this used by visiting divers , a family of 4 divers from the USA and a Japanese diver all doing this 'Shaka' thing on Heron Island GBR this year, and a young Japanese PADI instructors I dived with last month [ the local boat buddied him up with the crusty old diver] .
I just did it back to them , "this is cool" I thought it meant.

Great! Now we have another useless signal. You know what's cool? Not diving with cool people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom